NALS (North American Longbow Safari)

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Druin
Wanderer

NALS (North American Longbow Safari)

Post by Druin »

I've just returned from the 30th annual North American Longbow Safari, 2012, held this year near Stanley, Idaho. This is a very cool event, and right up Ranger Alley. It is an unmarked yardage 3D animal target shoot that simulates typical hunting shots. The whole thing has been put together to commemorate Howard Hill, his promotion of longbow archery to a more modern audience, and his adventures hunting game in both North America and Africa (if you don't know who Howard Hill is, you REALLY need to go find out!). The location of the shoot alternates each year between US and Canada. Next year's is rumored to be in Vancouver. Follow this link to view the NALS homepage and check in on when and where next year's will take place:

http://www.rockymountainlongbow.ca/nals/index.htm

This year was my third time attending a NALS shoot. I went to the one in Vancouver in 2005, and Brownsville, OR in 2006. The ones between were just too far away for me to attend, or I didn't have the cash/travel time available. Every year I've gone, I've gone in period garb, and been the only one to do so! This year, I finally had my ranger garb together to my satisfaction, so it was extra fun. I had tons of people admiring my gear and asking me questions, and a few who wanted their picture with me :) I'd love to have a few fellow rangers there next year and get something started!
Me @ full draw -- an unfortunately rare occurrence, as I tend to snap-shoot!
Me @ full draw -- an unfortunately rare occurrence, as I tend to snap-shoot!
Idaho2012 172.JPG (87.87 KiB) Viewed 16963 times
The rules for the shoot are totally Ranger: Longbows only, wood shafts with natural feather fletching, and 2-blade broadheads required of all shooters. No exceptions! For the "Bow Birds" portion, shooters must have wood shaft, nat. feather flu flus with field points. On the walking range, participants shoot one arrow at each target from the vicinity of a corresponding stake (no yardage marked). 5 pts for a kill zone shot, 1 pt for anything else on the beastie, and 0, of course, for a miss. There is no official competition, but score cards are provided if you and a buddy want to keep score. My dad and I competed with each other, making it 3 pts for a kill, and added the extra challenge that you had to actually touch the stake with some body part while shooting.
For some targets it was necessary to kneel, twist, lean, crouch, etc.
For some targets it was necessary to kneel, twist, lean, crouch, etc.
Idaho2012 072.JPG (55.66 KiB) Viewed 16963 times
That would be a dead pig.  I think we all got "kills" on that one.
That would be a dead pig. I think we all got "kills" on that one.
Idaho2012 068.JPG (91.83 KiB) Viewed 16963 times
The shoot was two days, shooting 30 targets each day, with yardages between 10 and 50 yards. Day 1, we shot the 30 targets of the Africa side, everything from kudu, black buck, impala, hyenas, and leopards to Velociraptor antirrhopus (aka Deinonychus) and a young Parasourolophus cyrtocristatus (which are actually North American dinosaurs, but if they survived anywhere today it'd probably be the Congo, so we won't hold it against them. Yeah, I'm a dinosaur nerd). We also shot "Bow Birds," which consists of a guy throwing heavy cardboard discs up (from safely behind a shield) that we had to try and shoot out of the air with flu flus, and a "Running Deer" target that was on rails this year instead of the usual pulley and line. Day 2 we finished up by shooting the 30 North American targets -- everything from cougars and grizzlies to elk, mountain goat, sheep, deer, a bison, and even beavers and raccoons. Most shots were challenging in some way, mostly via the kill being obscured by brush, or the shooter being obscured by brush and having to keep his bow limbs from hitting anything. For the bison, we actually had to sit astride a barrel that was suspended by ropes between two trees while our fellow shooters jiggled the ropes -- to simulate a shot while riding horseback! Very cool all in all! All targets were life-size, with the exception of the Parasaurolophus, but I just gave it the excuse that it was a baby ;) There was also a 100-and-some-odd yard "clout shoot" and other novelty shoots.

Fees this year were: $45 basic entry (shooter) fee; $15 for camping on-site; $20 if you wanted dinner for Saturday night; and $20 if you wanted a T-shirt. The fees are well worth it. You get super nifty goodies for your $45. This year's big party favor was a 10" commemorative cast iron dutch oven! A great thing to cook in for that Ranger Gathering cook-out. In past shoots, they've given out nice soft bow cases, knives, and thermoses, among other things. There are also vendors at the shoot, selling anything you could possibly want archery-wise for your ranger kit. And if you plan ahead and arrive early, they even have self arrow- self bow-making classes wherein you turn out your own bow or set of arrows by the end. Totally awesome! If nothing else, you can make great contacts within the longbow and "primitive archer" community. Maybe I'll see some of you there next year!!
Happy Hunting
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: NALS (North American Longbow Safari)

Post by Peter Remling »

Sounds like it was a well thought out event, Apparently it was a blast and thanks for posting, I had never heard of this event.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow looks like a great event Ill will look into it some more.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very Nice Druin!
You are looking very good and the event sounds like one we should be considering! I just found out about a group down here called the Florida Primitive Archery club that does a bit of the same and my Mentor is going to take me in the fall.
Sounds wonderful and is a fantastic opportunity to practice Ranger skills. Thanks for sharing your adventure, please continue it was great! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

What a great adventure! Nice looking gear, too! Thanks for sharing!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Awesome!!
Are American longbows different from a standard longbow then? yours certainly looks different, awesome garb!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

My longbow is a laminate longbow; not necessarily "American," just modern; made from layers of wood and fiberglass pressure-glued together in a form. The riser is purple heart with an osage orange and fiberglass insert, and the limbs are osage with fiberglass backing. The tips are antler from a deer I shot. It's not technically "period," but I made it myself, and it's the longbow I have, so that's the one I use. I'm hoping to have a self bow made by next year's NALS; ideally a Holmgaard style made from yew.

Thanks for the compliments! All the leather items in my kit are things I made, including the quiver (only exceptions are the boots and gloves. And I'm working on a pair of boots that will replace those). Also made my arrows and bow. A good friend of mine made the shirt, my best friend made the cloak, and I made the tooled leather clasp points for it. Here's a more close-up pic where you can kinda see the Celtic knotwork wolf's head on one of the cloak clasp points:
Idaho2012 220.JPG
Idaho2012 220.JPG (77.89 KiB) Viewed 16931 times
I made the quiver so it can carry my bow as well. Tough going through doorways and such, but handy when you want your hands free, or when you want bow, quiver, and arrows all in one neat package that you can just pick up and go. You can see a pic of it here (it was too big to load):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
I was pretty happy with how well I blended in up there. I plan to hunt in this garb, so practicality and concealment are priority one. Part of the reason I plan to make a darker, more period -- and generally less yellow bow ;)
Happy Hunting
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

This looks amazing! I would love to be able to attend an event like this! It'd be great if it ever got down into the Colorado area, because I never seem to be able to justify traveling very far for something like this.

Your ranger gear looks superb, by the way! Is there anywhere I might be able to see some larger resolution versions of the pics you posted?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

...Also, just having checked out your Facebook pics, it's great to see another ranger who moonlights as a pirate :D
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sounds like a fun event! Is it always held out west?

Nice garb updates.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

The NALS shoot alternates between the US and Canada, but that's about as solid as the rules get as to location. I think they tend to keep to southern Canada/Northern US for ease of both countries to get there, but I'm not sure how far east they get. I was reading some of the history of the event on their website (leaves much to be desired), and it sounds like they keep it generally to the north west. But South Dakota, Montana, and Utah have all hosted, and though I was unable to find reference to a state or province further east, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. For 30 years of shoots, they only have the locations of some 15 or so posted!

I'll try to put together some more detailed pics of my gear and post them in the Kit section.
Happy Hunting
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

That sounds awesome! Is there an age limit to attending?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

I believe you must be 12 to participate in the official shoot, but they had a practice/kids' course of 10 targets available that didn't cost anything.
Happy Hunting
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

I'm 14! And will be 15 next summer which means that I better get shootin'!!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Druin
Wanderer

Post by Druin »

Hell yes, little brother! Perhaps I'll get to see you there :D
Happy Hunting