Pants help!!

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

mcapanelli
Haeropada

Pants help!!

Post by mcapanelli »

Hello all,

I'll tell you I'm always impressed with the things the people make on this forum. Clothes, weapons, you name it. Next will be ship building (I'm betting there's a ship wright among you) Anyway I've been trying to make pants using an old pair as a patters, and as a result have ruined two pairs of pants. Is there a fool proof patters (And I mean the term literally) that any of you have I could follow? Myself, my wife, my wallet, and wool producing sheep all over america will be eternally.
Winter is coming
mooncalf

Post by mooncalf »

Moo!

The link is in german but try this.

It's easy to sew.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett

Post by Willrett »

I will hopefully be attempting this soon as well and these sites will be a great help to me. Thanks in advance guys.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

Another thing I would suggest as an option is to get a set of gi pants from any martial arts supplier. They're simple in design, and easily used as a pattern. And, if you get them of heavy enough fabric, they're quite acceptable for spending time in the woods, in their own right.

I've got a few pair that I used in the SCA for years. As far as durability goes, I think they would survive a trebuchet hit, or an overrun by orcs. Their durability is up there with cockroaches. And Cher.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Thank you all for the advice and directions. I agree about the Gi Pwyll. Mine held up for years with heavy use. It took my grandmother putting the pants in the washing machine to finally do them in. It seems that high quality Gi's can't be washed in a machine. I'm going to give those patterns a try and I'll post my results, or lack thereof. Stay tuned and thanks again.
Winter is coming
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

http://www.historicenterprises.com/cart ... =579&c=151

You could try there. It shows the pattern with the fragments of them that were found. You can buy them or have a go with that pattern.

Just a suggestion.

Siani
Nandalad!
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Mike,

Honestly, the best thing to do is to find a cheap pair of non-strech drawstring pants that fit and use them as a pattern. The gussets on pants are a bit tricky if trying to measure youself for a commercial pattern. I found a walmart pair for $12, took them apart and ironed them where the seams were folded. You'll have four pieces. Be sure to mark front and back as well as inside and outside. You can make minor adjustment to length and fullness of fit by adding or taking away when you pin them on your fabric and trace.

Andy