Russ pants for the "Southern Ranger"

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Russ pants for the "Southern Ranger"

Post by Cinead »

I don't see why not...but they are way to "Haradrim" for me...
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Far Harad. My own impression of that uses far more Persian-Arabic-Turkish influences. 'Harem' style pants or salwar, a kind of kurta, even a turban at times, with horse bow, thumb ring, and a shamshir.

Gear suitable for hot weather or the desert. I don't wear armor as a Ranger, but if I did for this it would likely be some sort of mail and lamellar combination or scales. The boots I have feature the upcurled toe ala Mongol and Persian styles...or from Arabian Nights.

It is comfortable kit, even here in the often too humid Northeast.

I have been to Far Harad where the stars are strange. Indeed.

Eledhwen (Sabah in Harad)
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Exactly why I chose to adapt some of the more Byzantine styles as the Norse actually did.
It is hot down here and Russ pants can be very cool when made of the right material! I am working on finding a good pattern for that type of boot myself, I played around with some of my own designs but would love to see how it was done in reality.
The Eastern Horse tribes made them rather popular with the Russ as well and they found their way into Norse garb in that way, so I am quite happy to use them as well. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Here is a picture (including a new linen undershirt that I recently finished):

If I did it again, I would probably change the dimensions a bit. In particular, I think the crotch should have been attached several inches further up. I might actually undo the stitching and fix that. Haven't decided yet.

Thanks for the pattern and instructions! :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

They look great! I've never been a fan of the baggy trouser look myself, but these have a certain panache to them. I dig it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I think they look great! you really did a nice job and as you get out and move around in them you will be gratefull for the coolness and flow as well as the freedom of movement. as far as the croch goes....well what can I say, the key to dancing is in the "Ballroom" if you know what I mean! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: