Old Norse Style Axe

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Old Norse Style Axe

Post by Avery P. »

First off, sorry for the poor pictures, I did them with my cell. I was planning to take better shots, but I didn't have time to get the camera out before it got dark.

This is made out of a 32oz ball peen. Here's a look into my process during the intial rough forge/grinding stage.

These were taken after the rough forging was done and I ground it down a bit to get a better look. There was a bit left to do as far as drawing out the metal and thinning it down some, so I went back to it and this is the final product.

Notice that the tip of the blade is drawn up more than in the rough forge? I wasn't happy with the straight spine and since it needed to be thinned I thought I'd draw it up a bit. Any way, it's still right at 32oz and on an 18" handle you feel the presence of the head but it's not as slow as you'd think.

So....that's what I've been doing, lol.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Old Norse Style Axe

Post by Greg »

I've found that a craftsman can not be complimented more highly than with a simple "How much?"

I'm never going to look at a Ball-Peen the same way again, by the way.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Greg wrote:I've found that a craftsman can not be complimented more highly than with a simple "How much?"

I'm never going to look at a Ball-Peen the same way again, by the way.

lol Greg, actually the highest compliment a craftsman can be given is "money is no object", second is "how much". Hehehe.

All joking aside, this will be for sale after I finish the handle and give it a good sealing. Given my current financial situation, I figure to list this lower than my last pieces. Pm me if you're interested, I'm sure we can work something out.

As for looking at ball peens, man I search every yard sale, flea market and sidewalk sales for ball peens and files. Files make great knives and you can buy them cheap if the teeth are broken off.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Absolutly beautiful Avery! It does not look slow in the least!
Very svelt and aggresive lines, looks functional and deadly at the same time!

Have you ever considered doing an intensive weekend or week training seminar?

I would put a block of time away to come learn how to make an axe or a seax or a spearhead. I find old tools like that too and I would love to see what it would take to set up my shop and do the type of work you do.

I slowed down on my Tsikurions right at the point that I realised the drifthole was not what I wanted for the type of weapon I was making. I invision using some type of tapered cylindrical drift that could be driven from the top that could under heat spread and taper it properly but I am afraid it is beyond my skill or tools to do at present.

Ah well, I am serious about the apprenticeship thing! When are you slow?
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh I like very much!! Erich will definately like as well!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Very nice. Waiting to see the price.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That is a very nice looking piece. It can be fun and rewarding hammering on ...well... hammers.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Thanks fellas, I appreciate the compliments. As for the price, I've given someone first dibbs on this one. If they're not interested, I'll be listing it for $135 plus shipping. I generally ask for more on my pieces, but given my current finances I'd like a quick sale.
- W. Shakespeare
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice, Avery! :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

looks great cant wait to see more
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I like it, I don't think it looks slow at all. Nice one !
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Stupid quetion... What's the hammery bit on the back for? I was puzzling that a couple weekends ago.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Makes for a multi-tool.. cut wood for a fire.. and drive stakes into the ground to attach your ropes to for a cover!!!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

caedmon wrote:Stupid quetion... What's the hammery bit on the back for? I was puzzling that a couple weekends ago.

Kiriana pretty much nailed it....pun intended. :P Most of the axes used by axes were multi purpose axes, not just for battle. For instance, this type is often associated with ship building. The axe would often times be used as a type of adze, so the flat back face was good for making sure you got a clean hit with your hammer.
- W. Shakespeare
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

A Norse style "ship axe" like this one and the ones I have were normally bearded so you got good control with the full of your hand behind the blade and the flat hammer poll was used as Avery suggests as a striking surface for a wood or rawhide mallet when chipping. Or it was often used as a flat anvil like surface for the bending of roves and rivits from the opposite side.
The clinker built or Lapstrake hulls were set into place by rivets and roves that passed through two strakes or hull planks and turned back on itself against a washer-like rove. The lower edge of one plank overlapping the upper edge of the one below it.
And of course it makes a great hammer! Never know when one of them pesky enemies will be wearing a helmet and you don't want to mess up your pretty sword edge or axe blade now would you?
:mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: