A "cooler" project

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

A "cooler" project

Post by Ringulf »

I hate when you go to an event and those needed modern items that are obiously not period but you need for safety or some other important reason, are blaringly obvious.

My cooler was one such item and I tried using other decanters but could not keep the "Dragonsblood" cold through the whole archery practice.

Now this project is not as much a reenactment grade project as it is a more SCA/LARP project, I am not making an historical Ice Box, but I am trying to get rid of a needed eyesore.

I took my small Igloo thermos that needs to be filled with gatorade and covered it with blue camp matt. Then using an old Larp technique scored the bluefoam with a scissor and then covered it with brown duct tape. once that is done you use a black ballpoint pen to draw in the detail of the woodgrain.
I did not get to do this in these pictures but if you then give the whole thing a once over with brown and or black shoe polish and give it a shine it will look even better.
On this one I used craft foam for the banding and you can use a ball peen hammer and pound the snot out of it to give a hammered effect, or you can cover it with the dark grey or black duct tape. (I did this later on after the pics)

Oh make sure you take the handle off the cooler, you can't see it, but I cut a bit around the spiggot to increase and clarify the flow. The seperate woodgrain blue foam lid can be used without the cooler top to keep the suction down (I did not want to put a valve in to the cooler)

It did a nice job and I got a lot of comments about it at the event (when they noticed it at all and that was even better!)
:wink: :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: A "cooler" project

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice !
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That is absolutely brilliant! I have to try this! I wonder if one can still get a hold of a decent cooler in that shape...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Every Walmart in the US had them over the summer! I suppose they are still very easy to come by, this one is not an Igloo as I said before, but a Coleman and was by the camping section when I bought my first one. Then I found my second one in the seasonal section, with the beach stuff in the summer.

The Orange Gatoraide ones would be just as well, but I never need one that big for my practices so I got thess smaller jobs. Look around thrift shops, camping or Boating supply stores and hardware stores, like Ace, Lowes or Home depot, True value or even Tractor supply company.

I am going to do a square one next for my ice chest cooler (that one I know is an igloo) and make it look like a treasure chest! (steampunking it into a steamer trunk would be fun too) :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: