LOTRO co-leveling Ranger Company

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: LOTRO co-leveling Ranger Company

Post by sgainbrachta »

Well, actually with a couple of exceptions- it's a race, more than a lifestyle. Kinda like being Israeli~

The wooden-footed hobbit (who's name I can't recall) and a couple of elves- Elledan and Elrohir (? Elrond's kids~) were the only ones mentioned as "rangers" in Tolkien's writings, and even than only kinda-sorta. Never so much explicit as implied...

I may be wrong, but I've been bulling my way through the lore lately. The Sim is STILL a bear to push through! And this from a guy who reads dissertations on the type of wood used in viking vessels as compared to modern Scandinavian wooden vessels... Yeah. I'm strange...

As to the game, I just don't want us to get our collective asses handed to us in play every time. And I'm a bit limited on classes, as I have only a couple slots open for new characters, all the others being in a kin and high-leveled... I'm all for whatever race/class, but was just thinking about what-all we've seen in-game, is all.

My greatest concern is that Wardens don't really bring any single "thing" to a group, really. The stun ranged attack seems pretty cool and potentially VERY useful, but they can't really tank, and can't really DPS as well as either a champ or hunter. And it looks like no real self or party heals, either. Hrm... Dunno. I guess I'll get 'im goin' and we'll see how it works!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I suppose a Burgler would be most different and useful, lots of buffs and debuffs and the stealth thing, I did not see anyone mention starting up as that.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Yea, I'm sorry, I guess it was actually mostly my fault for not setting a time.

I would tend to agree with Ringulf, and yes I feel that Wardens are very solo-players.
Just be what class you would enjoy playing and think would bring something helpful to the company.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Alright, so yesterday while I was playing LOTRO, leveling up my Dwarven Champion, Guthili, something bad happened. I was a level 7 or 8 so still in the starter quests. However, while talking to a Dwarf NPC, my mom wanted me to do something, forgot what, but the mainpoint is that I let him die. He revived but he doesn't have a ring around his head so I can't talk to him and it says I'm not in any quests... Help, please?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

You probably have to re-start whatever quest it was you were on.

The usual method for fixing stuff in the game is to do a re-log, usually just to the character screen...

As for myself- I just got my warden up to lvl 10, he sitting in Bree, exploring the new cities' layout. His name is Eadylfrith, and our high-level patron is Eadylferth- so frith and ferth... Good old Anglo-Saxon names... If you logon and want to play- see that you have Farendas, Eadylferth, Darvor, Dryminleth in your friends list- and drop me an IM. I can always go get me Ranger!
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Mae Govannen, rangers.

I'm so sorry that our virtual gathering didn't really work out last time. So let's try again!!
As states RangerKellen's signature, "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

If you still have a character around level 10 who has not started the main book quests yet, join the company. If we can get a fellowship (6) or half fellowship (3) size, that's great. All times and dates will be EST. If we can find a day within this week or the next and can get enough people up for it, we can then decide on a time. I did one of those poll things again because I though it worked pretty well last time.
Check it out and fill it in here:http://doodle.com/8ici2n2zb4x63kav + bear in mind that we will probably aim for afternoon or evening times.

It would be found most optimal (to be read in a posh british accent) if we could spend a couple of hours playing together, to really get the company going.

Reminders:
- Landroval server
- Prancing Pony Inn
- around level 10, book quests not started (or if so use reflection pool?)
- fill in poll

Life before Death.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

heh. Sadly- I've not even logged on in a month! Too much metal and wood work going on, and too fried by evening to play!

I'll give 'er a go, though!

*edit*

Does anyone have a ventrilo or whatnot chat server available? The in-game one has issues sometimes-especially in instances- that said, it's still better than typing all comment

Robert
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Dirhael wrote:Mae Govannen, rangers.

I'm so sorry that our virtual gathering didn't really work out last time. So let's try again!!
As states RangerKellen's signature, "Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."

If you still have a character around level 10 who has not started the main book quests yet, join the company. If we can get a fellowship (6) or half fellowship (3) size, that's great. All times and dates will be EST. If we can find a day within this week or the next and can get enough people up for it, we can then decide on a time. I did one of those poll things again because I though it worked pretty well last time.
Check it out and fill it in here:http://doodle.com/8ici2n2zb4x63kav + bear in mind that we will probably aim for afternoon or evening times.

It would be found most optimal (to be read in a posh british accent) if we could spend a couple of hours playing together, to really get the company going.

Reminders:
- Landroval server
- Prancing Pony Inn
- around level 10, book quests not started (or if so use reflection pool?)
- fill in poll
I have not been on for a while either but I was just starting to get that itch and longing to run about in middle earth I will try to get with you and fill out the poll. :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Sounds great so far, that's the three of us.

And yes, definitely prefer actually talking, so much more practical. If the in-game one isn't working too well, do point me/us in the right direction for downloading a substitute.
I haven't been on in months either, but heck, it'll be fun :)

Life before Death.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Alright, so far looks like it may be us 3. I'll see if RangerofArthedain might come too...

If so how would this Sunday (7th) work out for you guys or is that too short notice? What sort of time can you do?
I'm just dying to at least have a virtual moot with some of you! :D

Life before Death.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would be good in the evening on sunday (eastern standard time) may be kinda busy during the day.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I am jumpin' busy until after the 21st, evenings and days...

School of the Renaissance Soldier is happening- and it's where I make the most money, in general.

I can try, but it's pretty unlikely...

Robert
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Hmm ok well maybe we should wait a while until more of us can make it.

Ringulf, if it suits you we could have a run around this sunday evening :P

Life before Death.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That would be fine!
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

I may be free on Sunday evening (PST) after about 7-7:30-ish for a while.

It's been so long since I logged in... I'm updating the client now, and will get in so I can check out my toon's names. I can't even remember now!!

Do add "Eadylferth", he's my main- and is happy to "twink out" our PC's. He is a metalsmith and can make tailored stuff and armor and tools.

I THINK I called my Ranger toon "Eadylfrith", but I cannot recall for sure...

Robert