May I suggest...

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

May I suggest...

Post by appalachianranger »

...setting up some line parties for December?
They're not exactly our usual wilderness cup of tea, but, as I said in another thread, the eyes of the world are on Middle Earth one last time (and I mean it; Christopher Tolkien, god bless him, has resolved not to let his father's work be further used by Hollywood following the Hobbit!), and I am sure a few new faces may appear interested in getting involved with Tolkien enthusiasts.
This presents a perfect opportunity for rangers new and old to gather and share their Middle Earth pride.
That said, anyone interested in setting up a line party in the Pittsburgh area may feel free to refer to my post calling out to rangers in the Pittsburgh/Appalachian area.
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: May I suggest...

Post by Peter Remling »

I'm unfamiliar with the phase "line party" could you elaborate ?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That would be a line party for the next Hobbit movie premier, correct? I'd love to organize a really cool one out here in Denver, but after my attempt this time around basically flopped, I'm a little less psyched about it for next time. Hopefully we can find a better theater, because the attitude at the one we went to kind of killed it for us. They're still really, really on edge at theaters here in Colorado after the whole Aurora thing, which I suppose is understandable, but I hope that maybe by next year we can find a place that treats us less like freaks. I miss the old days, when everyone dressed up, tons of pictures were taken, and the theater staff was just as excited as we were. Alas.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

Basically, a line party is when a film premiers in theaters and fans/enthusiasts attend the premier in groups.
To add festivity (and draw attention, which may or may not be your desire), fans sometimes attend the premier dressed up as characters or extras from the films. Our friends in the science fiction realm are notorious for doing this.
Further, the event can become much more community related (and highly publicized) if fans can coordinate special events with the theater and local news media. For example, theaters have been known to hold costume contests, trivia competitions, and door prize drawings, the prizes usually being anything from theater gift certificates to popcorn or posters.
News media can also usually be coaxed into covering the event, often a local radio or television station. Of course, the lifestyle of rangers being one of quiet watchfulness, the idea of having a camera in your face may not be altogether enticing. This method does have its benefits, however, the glamor of the spectacle often exciting interest in people (particularly the young) who would have nothing to do with it otherwise.
Personally, what I would prefer to do is contact Tolkien enthusiasts in my area, and perhaps make a festive day out of it, perhaps holding book discussions at a local library, feasting at a local Irish or otherwise Celtic-inspired tavern, and then hanging out at the theater for perhaps an hour before the film just to partake in the excitement of anticipation.
While I prefer not to dress up elaborately (though I have, at a much younger age), I will often attend premiers dressed in subtle, more casual gear that indicates my enthusiasm, such as a Tree of Gondor t-shirt, with a leather jacket or a Dunedain/Elvish brooch on my lapel, just enough for fellow fans to take note and be aware of your interest. Many's the friendship (or at least conversation) which began with a stranger noticing a small piece I wore to show my enthusiasm for a genre.

...I think that about covers it. So what do you think?
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon