What do you think of this

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

What do you think of this

Post by Shadowhawk »

So what do you think of this coat, Middle-earth appropriate or not. I tried to combine aspects of Aragorn's coat and coats I saw in the Finnish series Rauta aika (iron age). Made of an old sheepskin army mantle and very warm. Originally I just cut off the over sized collar to allow me to carry my quiver better but I figured I'd at least try to make it ranger appropriate.
Attachments
Coat.jpg
Coat.jpg (86.49 KiB) Viewed 12479 times
Coat worn.jpg
Coat worn.jpg (102.72 KiB) Viewed 12479 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: What do you think of this

Post by Peter Remling »

I like it ! Not exactly like anything else but looks serviceable and believeable.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looks cool! Real sheepskin then?

I might personally add some detailing to it, like maybe some front ties for optional closure, trim around the cuffs, collar, and bottom, etc. And I'd probably weather it a bit to make it appear well-worn (or on the alternative, just wear it a lot, haha). But overall it looks like a good, serviceable piece of garb!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think it looks great! Some decortation would go great with it, but I don't think anyone would dare to tell you it's not Ranger appropriate! Nice sword! :)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Works fine.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

That looks great!. I would just add a couple of ties to the front to keep it closed.
You can't take the sky from me.
Shadowhawk
Dúnadan

Post by Shadowhawk »

Excellent, "one coat added to inventory". It is indeed real sheepskin, as far as i can tell. I'll see about adding some decoration on the cuffs and bottom (eventually) and some ties to close it on those cold nights on watch duty or what have you. Nothing extra on the collar though it is the way it is for a purpose. Plus it already has the same trim as the edges. Now I just need a cloak to go with it that A) doesn't strangle me when I put on my quiver an B)Is longer or the same length as this here coat. And then boots...and pants...and various other stuff...
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

It really is a handsome coat, and just begging for embellishment.
“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Shadowhawk wrote:Excellent, "one coat added to inventory". It is indeed real sheepskin, as far as i can tell. I'll see about adding some decoration on the cuffs and bottom (eventually) and some ties to close it on those cold nights on watch duty or what have you. Nothing extra on the collar though it is the way it is for a purpose. Plus it already has the same trim as the edges. Now I just need a cloak to go with it that A) doesn't strangle me when I put on my quiver an B)Is longer or the same length as this here coat. And then boots...and pants...and various other stuff...

And pics. Can't forget pics! Nice coat. Please keep us updated when you add anything to it as we love to gather ideas from each other.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

The coat looks great. Very appropriate for a Ranger in a cold climate. I am looking forward to seeing how you add to it.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.