The Witchery of Archery review

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Druin
Wanderer

The Witchery of Archery review

Post by Druin »

I just finished reading The Witchery of Archery, by J. Maurice Thompson, and I thought I’d post a review of the book here. I have to wonder why I hadn’t read it before. It’s been on my shelf for years. Anyway, it is a great read for any archer. It is a first-hand account of adventures with a long bow, mostly in Florida, and a wonderful source for archer and woodsman philosophy.

Thompson fought in the Civil War on the Confederate side, and after the war, Confederates weren’t allowed to run around with guns, so he and his brother took up the long bows they had learned to use from a mysterious hermit when they were kids. They subsisted largely on what they could bring down with their archaic weapons for years.

I had to keep in mind the era in which the book was written, as the author talks about shooting “anything that runs, flies, or swims,” as he puts it – anything from herons and woodpeckers to owls and other raptors, to deer, alligators, and pumas, to bass and anything in between. The author means what he says quite literally: if he saw some kind of critter, he likely flung an arrow at it with his bow, or had done so to one of its fellows on some previous excursion. This notion grates against the sensibilities of the modern conservationist; that one would shoot something just to get a closer look, or simply because it was there, seems irresponsible and wanton.

But it was a different time back then – a different world, really – and there seemed to be no end of game, nor of virgin timber, nor of marshlands and wild, untamed places. There were no game laws, or none to speak of. Truthfully, I was a little put off by the author’s attitude at first, different era or no. But it doesn’t take long to see that however carelessly the author seems to write about shooting herons and hawks, he still has a deep reverence for these creatures and the natural world. The language he uses is frequently flowery, highly poetic, and in fact there are a few poems in the book, including an ode to the Woodpecker and a few collections of verse in which he paints a particular scene so well that we imagine we ourselves are lying in a boat in some remote streamlet in the middle of the everglades, listening to the wind in the reeds and the murmur of the birds, lazily watching the world go by without a care. Beautiful stuff.

He also gives us tips for how to improve our aim, how to hunt specific quarry, and touches several times upon the healing and therapeutic properties of returning to nature, or, as I’m sure he would call it, “the savage life.” The Witchery of Archery is aptly titled. A book of philosophy, of history, and true-life adventure, it is certainly bewitching, and makes me yearn to create my own adventures “by field and flood,” to the accompanying thrum of my bowstring – though personally I don’t plan to shoot any critters just for the heck of it… I’ll only shoot them if they seem particularly tasty (and happen to be in season :)). Narm narm. ~D
Happy Hunting
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The Witchery of Archery review

Post by RangerKellen »

Sounds very interesting thanks for sharing!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

A wonderful book I have a scan of it that I can make available to read online if anyone is interested. I thought it was great, it reminded me of the way my Grandpa used to write and teach as he was born in 1898. He was a huge influence on me being a woodsman myself!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I'd love to read that on-line....sounds like a great book.

Thanks for the review.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have them in my documents folder as Adobe PDF files, does anyone know how to get them onto the forum?
I do have photobucket but it does not seem to want to upload this particular form of file. (sorry folks I know just enough computer to be dangerous!)
:mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You could send it out as an email mailing to anyone interested. Have anyone who'd like a copy, reply here with their email or pm you by a certain date. Create one mass mailing to everyone with it as an attachment. Just a thought.
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

That would be awesome, I would definitely be interested in a copy.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Fox
Dúnadan

Post by Fox »

“Courage is found in unlikely places.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks Fox !!! it works
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thankyou Brer Fox, I have it, I just don't know how to get it on here, but that'll do.. :mrgreen: