Dunedain Lembas Bread Experiment

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Dunedain Lembas Bread Experiment

Post by Manveruon »

Wasn't sure where to put this one, so I thought I'd share it here.

For a while now I've been talking about doing a ranger trek sometime in the later summer/early autumn out here in CO. This has led me to start thinking about practicality in a way I have never had to before. One of the things I've been considering carefully is what rations to bring on the trip, and naturally my thoughts turned to Lembas Bread. I had looked around the web for good recipes, but they can be a bit tricky. What I really wanted to make was something that was indeed extremely filling and sustaining - something light and portable that would also keep a long time, and provide good energy for a long trek. Most people who had posted recipes online seemed primarily focused on the looks of their lembas. For a party food, or some kind of edible prop, this would be fine, but what I really wanted to find was someone who treated it as if it really was an energy bar in biscuit form. Anyway, I eventually come upon this site: http://wastedlandsfantasy.blogspot.com/ ... world.html

I know this particular link has been shared around these forums before, but I can't quite recall where or when. At any rate, it took me a bit to track it down again, but I found it, bought the ingredients, and last night tried it out for the first time. My results were quite pleasing overall, although I may decide to alter the recipe a bit further next time I try. What I used was as follows:

7/8 cups of whole wheat flour
2 5/8 cups of white flour (This strange ratio of wheat-to-white flour was because in the article he said you should use wheat pastry flour, but I could only find regular wheat flour, so a friend recommended using half white all-purpose and half regular whole wheat as a substitute for whole wheat pastry flour. The original ratio was 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour, and 1 3/4 cups of white all-purpose flour)
2 Teaspoons baking powder (I cut this slightly from the original recipe because of the high altitude)
1/4 teaspoon salt (actually, I just took a pinch or so and threw it in)
8 Tablespoons cold butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Teaspoons cinnamon (this was cut considerably from the original recipe, because 2 full tablespoons seemed an awful lot)
2 Teaspoons vanilla (I cut this, same as the cinnamon, however I now wish I had used the original ratio, because I ended up adding a bit more at the end anyway)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup pressed apple juice (I added this instead of the last 1/4 cup of milk called for in the original recipe. I thought it might give a nice flavor, and I was right)
1/2 fresh, peeled, finely-chopped apple
1/4 cup almonds (I have heard great things about almonds and their high protein content)

I then followed the recipe on the website basically verbatim (except for leaving them in the oven a bit longer, and using a slightly lower heat setting), with only a couple minor hiccups. While mixing I ended up adding a dash more apple juice, which made the dough too soft, so I then compensated by adding more flour (have I mentioned I don't bake? Haha... yeah...). After all that the dough still came out to be a pretty sticky mess. The first batch I tried to make (which I did not take any photos of) ended up fine, except I couldn't really cut them uniformly, because the stuff was sooooo soft and gooey. For those I basically just balled them up and threw them onto the cookie sheet like chocolate-chip cookies, and then sort of formed them into a square shape right there. For the second batch, however, I decided to chill the dough, which worked quite nicely. I was able to roll the dough out flat and cut it into fairly uniform squares, which looked quite nice in the end.

Below I have attached some photos of the final product, both before and after baking. The final result was delicious - not too floury at all, and with a distinctive apple flavor. While this is not exactly what I think Tolkien had in mind when he described Lembas bread, I propose that these may be viewed as a sort of Dunedain adaptation of the true Elvish waybread. While the rangers might not have been as skilled in the art of making the stuff as the elves, they may have taken the idea, and then adapted the basic recipe to fit their own needs, adding things like fruit and various spices as they saw fit. Since apples grow well in northern climes, I figure they are a good type of fruit to use - something a ranger would be familiar with.

These definitely came out more like "apple cakes" than "honey cakes," but personally I quite like that. I would also like to try some with dried cranberries, apricots, etc. Basically, turn it into a sort of dense, nutty, fruitcake. In future I would love to continue to adapt the recipe to add more nourishing and energy-providing substances. I remember one person somewhere saying they thought adding a bit of cocoa powder might be good, just to add a small caffeine boost. I had also considered using a little instant coffee or something of the sort for that same purpose, I just wasn't sure if that would ruin the flavor. I realize these aren't European in nature, but neither are Almonds, Vanilla, or Cinnamon. I'm fairly open to New World ingredients, as long as the bread seems vaguely plausible given a Middle Earth context (even if we have to explain some of the ingredients away as "Elvish magic"). The cakes I made definitely taste good, and are somewhat filling, but they're far from "One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man." I'd like to possibly move closer towards this description in the future (however improbable it is in reality).

Anyway, what do you guys think? Would you add anything? Change the recipe in any way? I'd love to hear some opinions on how to make this stuff better!

Here are the pics! First, the pre-baked squares:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 802d6a.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 200e0a.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... a90c45.jpg

And now, after baking:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... a0cebb.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... d7a14e.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 435a4d.jpg
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Dunedain Lembas Bread Experiment

Post by deadextra »

The bread looks like it turned out good to me, my main concern with them would be the shelf life. The bread I have been carrying for a few years is made with barely any salt or sugar as these hold moisture, and baked with a thick and hard crust. Adding many sweet and soft ingredients like I see listed tends to help the environment destroy baked goods. It is worth some experimentation I think.

The spices, sugar, and almonds you have listed only grow in equatorial climates. Cinnamon however, was a major trade good and kept well during shipping. Vanilla, a new world plant, is expensive to this day because of the small yields from the plant and the entire process is labor-intensive. An alternative you might try is mint, it is native to colder climates. Ginger was also a major trade item, it is cheap to grow and transports well. For nuts there are lots of options for the norther climate. Chestnuts, walnuts, and hazelnuts are European, hickory and pecans are American. Honey and the apple juice are of course perfectly good. Another sweetening agent you might try is a syrup of various fruits, just boiling the juice down so it doesn't add so much moisture to your dough. The last thing about ingredients I can think of is the use of baking powder, it is something that came about in the 19th century. I've only used yeast for making breads rise but I know potash was used at least a bit earlier. This seems to be a good article on the subject: http://www.orbitals.com/self/leaven/

Anyway, a good looking start! I need to be working on some recipes as well after my recent experience with salted fish when I stop working on gloves and shoes and all of this other rubbish. One more thing! Dunedain assuredly didn't have refrigerators, I'd add more flour to that sticky dough, bake it as a big sheet and cut it apart after, or just let them spread into round shapes.

Don't get discouraged! Cheers!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, the shelf life is really the only thing that concerns me with these too. Well, that and I'd like them to perhaps pack a little more of a punch, so to speak.
I recognize fully that many of the ingredients aren't really European Middle Ages appropriate, but I wasn't trying for a terribly "authentic" sort of product when I set out on this experiment. I was more concerned with taste and nourishment. Almonds, for instance, may be equatorial-growing nuts, but I chose them because I like the taste, and I also figured these could stand in reasonably well for the "fruit of the Malorn tree." Furthermore, they are regarded as being one of the best nuts out there in terms of protein and overall healthiness. Walnuts, however, would work just as well. They have nearly the same benefits as almonds, and they're more appropriate for Europe; I just don't care for the taste as much as Almonds.
Vanilla is admittedly a bit of a stretch, but I do love the flavor, and it definitely helped mask the flour taste. Still, using a different kind of flour (like some kind of nut flour, for instance) might make a difference there - I just don't really know where to find those sorts of specialty flours. Personally I despise mint, but I do quite like ginger. I may have to take your advice with that in the future. Ginger would be a great replacement for the cinnamon, and/or perhaps even some of the vanilla. As for the leavening agent, I really wasn't all that concerned with it. I didn't figure it would make much of a difference in the end result. I had considered the idea that Lembas might not be leavened at all, but for these I thought I wouldn't screw too much with something I knew worked, so I went with it.

In the end, I was fairly pleased, overall. Like I said, I would definitely like to find a way to make these even more nourishing - so much so that eating one could sustain a person for a rather extended period of time with little or nothing else - and I would love whatever ideas might be out there about that. I still think a little instant coffee or something of that sort could be interesting, just because of the caffeine boost. As for shelf life, I'm not overly bothered by it in these. I won't actually be taking them out on a several-month-long expedition to Mordor, and I'm sure they'll last for a weekend's trek. Still, making something that lasts a while could definitely have advantages here, and definitely would be more "authentic."
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

In Mark Baker's book "A Pilgrim's Journey" Volume 1 he has two recipes for what he calls "trailbread". I think that they may be a good substitute for lembas.
The first is :
2 cups white flour
1 cup honey

The second is :
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 cups honey

He recommends baking them in greased muffin tins, fill each hole half full, and bake at 350 until done.

I am about to give these a try and will post my results here.
You can't take the sky from me.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'd go easy on the honey. I think you'll find the quantity listed will make the cake/bread too moist to last any real length of time.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

If we're trying to keep these somewhat Tolkien related, I'd say the honey is a pretty important part, since it's really the only ingredient he explicitly mentions, other than the "fruit of the Mallorn tree." Still, I suppose quantity is debatable.

Those look pretty straightforward, but I would be surprised if the nourishment they provide is very long-lasting. I'd love to hit on a combination of ingredients that really packs an energy punch, and can sustain a person for as long as possible.

It's cool to see a historical example of something like this that's not your straight-up hard-tack, though! I'm interested to see what results you get!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

They have found honey in Egyptian tombs that was still good, so the honey may act as a preservative. Just guessing/hoping though.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

wulfgar wrote:They have found honey in Egyptian tombs that was still good, so the honey may act as a preservative. Just guessing/hoping though.
Wulfgar, your post made me look into it and you are correct. While not a true preservative honey does have preserving qualities due to the low water content, sealing out water.

http://suite101.com/article/honey-as-a- ... ive-a62853

Thanks never knew any of that.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

COOL!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I have found another recipe that I am going to try in "Simple Foods For The Pack", put out by The Sierra Club. It's for ANZAC biscuits, said to have been fresh when delivered to troops in WW1 after an 8 week boat ride.

1C whole wheat flour
1C unsweetened coconut
1C brown sugar
1C rolled oats
1/2C butter
2TBSP water
1/2 TSP baking soda
1TBSP golden syrup, molasses or honey

Combine dry ingredients, except baking soda, in large bowl.
In saucepan melt butter with water, soda, and syrup. Add to dry ingredients and mix well with hands.
Shape into cookies and bake on greased sheet at 350 for about 20 minutes. Cool on rack.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Cool! That actually sounds a ton like what I did, only instead of coconut I used almonds and apples.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

[quote="wulfgar"]I have found another recipe that I am going to try in "Simple Foods For The Pack", put out by The Sierra Club. It's for ANZAC biscuits, said to have been fresh when delivered to troops in WW1 after an 8 week boat ride.

And I suspect Tolkien came into contact with ANZAC biscuits while serving in WWI, and may have been inspired by them.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's an interesting thought. I often wonder how much of Tolkien's writing was inspired by his life experiences, and how much was just pure imagination (however much that imagination may have unconsciously been influenced by said experiences).

At any rate, I'm really eager to see someone else's results with the things mentioned here. Personally I would love to try mine again, with a few alterations, but after the mess I made of our kitchen the last time, I think Sarah will kill me if I try it again within the month, haha.
Still, I have a few new ideas - and I even found almond flour/meal at the local supermarket! TOTALLY want to try adding some of that in next time! Not to mention something to add a caffeine boost, as stated above.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I made some of the honey and flour trail bread last night and I think I overcooked it. It is rock hard, harder than any hardtack I have ever had. I had to put A LOT of force into cutting it with a large kitchen knife, and ever after soaking in tea, it was still extremely hard and it took a lot of chewing to eventually swallow it. While extremely tasty, it would not be a pleasant trail food. I have saved some in a bag to see how long it lasts.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I'll have to take your word for how hard they are, cause they sure look good !