Desolation of Smaug Trailer

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Desolation of Smaug Trailer

Post by Mirimaran »

Hi all,

In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html

Thoughts? I think casting Luke Evans as Bard is a miscast. To me, he looks like Orlando Bloom. Any thoughts on Tauriel? Does this film need more characters?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Desolation of Smaug Trailer

Post by Jon »

Saw this as soon as it was out!

Firstly, awesome trailer. I am really looking forward to it.
On the other hand, there are a few things that I found a bit... well... yea. Firstly, I agree with you about Bard. Tauriel, although I am not a big fan of characters who aren't strictly in the book (i.e. Azog), I think will help the story work well as a film. Orlando/Legolas is probably going to be given too big a part in the film, as many fans will want to see - here I would prefer to stick to the book. I felt from the trailer (but will probably be proved wrong when the actual film comes out) that there were too few events to fit into one film (2 would have been better in the first place), and they would have to amplify some of these to pad out the film.

Despite all that criticism, it was good. All the other aspects that I have not mentioned I think are great.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Well, I guess I need to get it into my head that this is a movie inspired by "The Hobbit" and not actually a movie version of "The Hobbit". They really seem to be straying from the book more and more. I think it will be good entertainment, but it's just not the original story anymore.
You can't take the sky from me.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I WILL say, Smaug looked pretty awesome. Most movie dragons aren't that big compared to people, etc., but Smaug is downright huge. I like it.

Are they straying a ton from the story? Possibly. Honestly, I think they probably showed just about all of the parts that they've added on their own in the trailer, so it may just seem like a heck of a lot of change...we barely saw any of the travel through mirkwood, etc., and we saw plenty of PJ changes, so I have hope that it seems like a lot because, frankly, they packed the five minute trailer full of their changes. We'll see.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Just like the first installment, this one looks to be a whacking good movie.....

But...

It still isn't really 'The Hobbit'. It is one mans' idea of what 'The Hobbit' should have been. That does not detract from the quality of the film in any way.

"The Goblins are upon you! Bolg of the North is coming. O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria!" The most glaring part of the first installment was the fact that Azog was alive and well and had anything to do with the Dwarves quest to regain Erebor.

In this..from the trailer...the Dwarves are escaping in open barrels, the Elves know it and are trying to kill or recapture them. Um...unnecessary changes to my mind. Yeah, it adds drama and all, making it more exciting.

I like Smaug..he looks awesome. :) I look forward to seeing the movie, like everyone else.

I guess what really bothers me is that a whole raft of folk will never read the book and will think these movies are the actual story 'The Hobbit'. Rather a sad thing to my mind, when the book is so very much better than any movie ever will be. I have heard that it is in part due to these 'strayings' from the stories that Christopher Tolkien has said there will be no more licenses granted for film of his fathers' works. Not sure if that is accurate, but it would not at all surprise me.

Call me an old biddy and set in my ways, that's how I see it.

I will still watch it, I will still purchase it, but it will never really be 'The Hobbit' to me. Thank goodness for the books!

Eledhwen, curmudgeonly broad.
Nandalad!
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Mirimaran wrote:Hi all,

In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html

Thoughts? I think casting Luke Evans as Bard is a miscast. To me, he looks like Orlando Bloom. Any thoughts on Tauriel? Does this film need more characters?

Ken
I agree about the miscasting of Bard. He just doesn't look right. And since they've gone for 'medieval Novgorod' as the stylistic look of Dale/Laketown, I would have liked to see someone with a more Eastern European (stockier, less effete) face. He looks like a 19 year old trying to grow a moustache that just won't make it.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Eledhwen wrote:Just like the first installment, this one looks to be a whacking good movie.....

But...

It still isn't really 'The Hobbit'. It is one mans' idea of what 'The Hobbit' should have been. That does not detract from the quality of the film in any way.

"The Goblins are upon you! Bolg of the North is coming. O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria!" The most glaring part of the first installment was the fact that Azog was alive and well and had anything to do with the Dwarves quest to regain Erebor.

In this..from the trailer...the Dwarves are escaping in open barrels, the Elves know it and are trying to kill or recapture them. Um...unnecessary changes to my mind. Yeah, it adds drama and all, making it more exciting.

I like Smaug..he looks awesome. :) I look forward to seeing the movie, like everyone else.

I guess what really bothers me is that a whole raft of folk will never read the book and will think these movies are the actual story 'The Hobbit'. Rather a sad thing to my mind, when the book is so very much better than any movie ever will be. I have heard that it is in part due to these 'strayings' from the stories that Christopher Tolkien has said there will be no more licenses granted for film of his fathers' works. Not sure if that is accurate, but it would not at all surprise me.

Call me an old biddy and set in my ways, that's how I see it.

I will still watch it, I will still purchase it, but it will never really be 'The Hobbit' to me. Thank goodness for the books!

Eledhwen, curmudgeonly broad.
If you're an old biddy, then I'm an old fart (curmudgeon?). I agree- I just rewatched the first film, and there were some great moments, but this is Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit," not J. R. R. Tolkien's. Another classic sign of Jackson's 'over-the-topic' excess: Beorn's size. Really, a guy who can turn into a bear the size of a grizzly isn't enough- he has to turn into a bear with a head the size of a Smart Car.
Hávamál
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I generally try to look at Jackson's films with out a perception of how I think they should be. It's easier to enjoy the films for what they are then what I feel the should be. The minor thing that bugs me is Ratagast, sorry I just don't feel a need for an old eccentric whack job.

Maybe cause they never asked me to play the part ! :)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Peter Remling wrote:I generally try to look at Jackson's films with out a perception of how I think they should be. It's easier to enjoy the films for what they are then what I feel the should be. The minor thing that bugs me is Ratagast, sorry I just don't feel a need for an old eccentric whack job.

Pete, I think we can manage the poop in the hair lol

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mirimaran wrote:
Peter Remling wrote:I generally try to look at Jackson's films with out a perception of how I think they should be. It's easier to enjoy the films for what they are then what I feel the should be. The minor thing that bugs me is Ratagast, sorry I just don't feel a need for an old eccentric whack job.

Pete, I think we can manage the poop in the hair lol

Ken
I've previously demonstrated that I'm capable of that and foot in my mouth all by myself ! :D
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I'm confused. I don't think I saw Will or Halt anywhere in the trailer. But the Kalkara trying to get in the door was awesome.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Someone has been reading their RA! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

At least the dragon looked good. :mrgreen:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Have you seen the second trailer yet?

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/10 ... g-is-here/

I have to say, it's made me more enthusiastic for the film than the first one did.

For those who don't want too much in the way of spoilers about the second film, I'll just say that we still don't see Smaug in this one. I guess we'll see in December.
Hávamál
Addreonynn
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Addreonynn »

I agree Straelbora, I was excited to see the Hobbit, the first time, but I am REALLY excited now!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods