Boots Boots and more Boots

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Boots Boots and more Boots

Post by Daerir »

Ok, I've seen few sites that sell some "ranger-like" boots that aren't $400. anyone know some good sites that sell them around $100? I've seen Boots by Bohemond but I couldn't find the perfect boot on there. Some didn't have the right size listed.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Boots Boots and more Boots

Post by Manveruon »

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-7332 ... boots.aspx

Are these boots worth the buy? I know they're synthetic but they look good. Any one know?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would also take a look on ebay, I had been looking for a specific pair of high quality Uggs and found them used in excellent condition and won them for all of 39 dollars.
The style was discontinued and my son had a pair, aside from being too small for me, I thought they would have made perfect Dwarven soft boots.
I will put up some pics when I get them.
But like I said if you find a pair you like don't forget to see if you can get them from ebay, sometimes you can save a bit of money. Though you still should be cautious of hidden shipping fees and always question the conditiion of the item in you think you are looking at. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

rangersamII wrote:http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-7332 ... boots.aspx

Are these boots worth the buy? I know they're synthetic but they look good. Any one know?
Stay away from anything synthetic. They will be very hot, seams will start tearing and will be unrepairable, and they aren't safe near fire. You are better off saving your money. A good philosophy to adopt is "I'm too poor to buy cheap stuff." In other words, save your money and buy quality items because in the long run you aren't going to have to buy something else to replace it in a year or less. I am speaking from experience here.
You can't take the sky from me.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Manveruon wrote:Here's one good place to start:

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/period-footwear.html
Wow, there are some good prices here!
You can't take the sky from me.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Frank at Viking is a great guy. I own several of the boots he sells, including a set with the vibram lug soles (fighting boots for one of my other hobbies).

For a little more, you can get off the peg boots and shoes from Bohemond (http://www.nmia.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/ ... /shoe.html). I own two pair of his for my 9th Century Anglo Saxon kit.

Both are in the range of the Ranger on a budget. Nothing synthetic lasts. I had a guy show up at a Dagorhir practice with his new synthetic boots. They didn't last 2 hours. Spend a little money now and save a lot of headaches later.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ringulf wrote:I would also take a look on ebay, I had been looking for a specific pair of high quality Uggs and found them used in excellent condition and won them for all of 39 dollars.
The style was discontinued and my son had a pair, aside from being too small for me, I thought they would have made perfect Dwarven soft boots.
I will put up some pics when I get them.
But like I said if you find a pair you like don't forget to see if you can get them from ebay, sometimes you can save a bit of money. Though you still should be cautious of hidden shipping fees and always question the conditiion of the item in you think you are looking at. :mrgreen:
well I've tried eBay, but I never know what to enter. Usually I just enter medieval leather boots, or renaissance boots, but to no avail.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Ok, I like the medieval High Shoe on boots by bohemond, how high up the leg do they come? I would prefer calf boots instead of ankle.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I would say the medieval high shoes look like they are a bit higher than ankle, but perhaps a bit lower than a true calf boot. Still, I quite like the look of those. I may definitely have to invest in a pair myself. It would definitely be a safer bet than attempting to make a pair from scratch, which is what I've been considering for a while now.

Hey E.MacKermak: do you happen to have any good photos of you wearing any of the boots you've mentioned? From either maker.

And RangerSam: I agree with what they have said above. Synthetic boots are pretty much always a bad idea for this sort of thing (trust me, I've been there, done that). I'd also avoid anything with the word "gothic" in the description (as a general rule, though I'm sure there are exceptions). It's difficult to tune your eye into exactly what you want for this sort of costuming, but over time you start to develop pretty good instincts about products you see around - it just takes practice, and some trial and error.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Unless you are going for the Morgorath/morgul look and plan on being a dark, stormy, murky, tempestuious, tortured, anti hero type! :twisted: (hee hee I couldn't think up any more fitting adjectives before the coffee hit :roll: )
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, excellent adjectives indeed!
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

In these sort of ventures, Rangersam, remember:

You can have it NOW.
You can have it CHEAP.
or you can have it 'RIGHT'.
But Choose Carefully, you only get two of the three!

If you want it Now and Cheap, it will be terrible quality (eventually costing you more $ in the long run to replace).
If you want it Now and Right, it will be expen$ive.
You can get it Cheap and Right, but you will have to cultivate some Patience--combing thrift shops, yardsales, swapmeets &c. for the perfect materials, keeping your eyes open for the right price, and always researching!, plus maybe even spending time gaining some valuable Skills--sewing, metal/leather/wood-working, &c.--enabling you to produce your own gear you can be proud of.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Udwin wrote:In these sort of ventures, Rangersam, remember:

You can have it NOW.
You can have it CHEAP.
or you can have it 'RIGHT'.
But Choose Carefully, you only get two of the three!

If you want it Now and Cheap, it will be terrible quality (eventually costing you more $ in the long run to replace).
If you want it Now and Right, it will be expen$ive.
You can get it Cheap and Right, but you will have to cultivate some Patience--combing thrift shops, yardsales, swapmeets &c. for the perfect materials, keeping your eyes open for the right price, and always researching!, plus maybe even spending time gaining some valuable Skills--sewing, metal/leather/wood-working, &c.--enabling you to produce your own gear you can be proud of.

^ QFT: Quoted for Truth.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Manveruon wrote:Hey E.MacKermak: do you happen to have any good photos of you wearing any of the boots you've mentioned? From either maker.
I would have to look. I might have a couple that actually show the footwear, but not many photos of me show my feet.

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/13th ... boots.html I am wearing these in this picture with the basic vibram (non-lugged) soles.
Attachments
You can sort of see the Viking Leathercraft 13th c boots in this picture.
You can sort of see the Viking Leathercraft 13th c boots in this picture.
Kodak 014.jpg (162.9 KiB) Viewed 19147 times
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.