Camping Supplies

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Camping Supplies

Post by Daerir »

Ok rangers, I have a small little camping kit in process. I didn't include food, clothes, or weapons here by the way. It includes:

a tarp shelter with a makeshift ground cloth
a spool of twine
an extra blanket if my cloak isn't enough. I also use this as a pillow
a tin case with a flint, steel, shredded cotton balls, and matches (just in case)
a tin containing a quill pen, along with some home made "parchment" and a bottle of ink
a sharpening stone
a fold up utensil tool with fork, spoon, knife, and a can/bottle opener
a walmart bota that I plan on making some sort of cover for
This little cook kit minus the cup because mines plastic (typical)

I also have these small jars that have potential if I can make a case for them. I am thinking about using them for salt, sugar, spices, etc. I plan on buying a stainless steel coffee mug too. Anything else that I should bring?
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Camping Supplies

Post by Straelbora »

Good basic place to start. I've found myself wanting to have an entire 'authentic' kit to the point of feeling that I can't do ranger camping unless it's all proper.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

my only comment would be to dump the aluminum pans and find a set of stainless steel.
the weight isn't that much more but the cooking time is comparable and the health issues much safer.
You only need a pot, pan, plate and cup. and you can always eat out of the pot :P .
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

I just bring a tin coffee cup and an old metal coffee can. I use the can to cook all of my food. even steaks.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Well I will admit, that I am looking for a better cook set now. I received two very nice cups one was tin and the other was stainless. I am now searching around for a nice pot/pan that isn't very heavy :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RikJohnson »

commenting on Brown's comment.
It is extremely easy to turn one coffee can into a wood stove, then use a slightly smaller one as a cook pot with a still smaller one as a cup or bowl.
Plus they all nest inside each other.

I'll draw up a diagram and post it later.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.