Bedroll Materials?

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Bedroll Materials?

Post by Eothain »

Not entirely sure if this topic belongs in this category, but here goes. So over this passed weekend I went camping with Addreonynn Lightfoot, just to get out in the wild and to test my ranger kit. Everything I had packed with me worked great... except for one huge draw back, my bedroll wasn't up to par. I was freezing cold during the night and had to uncomfortabley roll up in my bedroll like a burrito and still it was miserable, as the night went on moisture began to collect and when I woke up everything was soaked. I toughed it out either way, though I plan on making a new bedroll. So my question for my fellow rangers is what materials should I use to make my new bedroll? I was thinking canvas lined on the inside with wool... but not too sure. I live in Missouri so during the summer it gets pretty warm and humid, and during the winter we have had a pretty good chance of snow with temperatures dropping to -10. (I have never camped out during the winter) Spring and fall stay pretty neutral and thats when I usually do my ranging. So it would be awesome to hear everyone's suggestions!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Bedroll Materials?

Post by Straelbora »

As has been posted by others here, one option is to spring for a painter's canvas dropcloth ($10 at Home Depot), ScotchGuard (or other brand) waterproof it, then cut and sew it into a sort of outer sleeping bag. For colder weather, bring along a wool blanket and/or sheepskins to stuff inside.

Sleeping wet on the ground, even in summer, can lead to hypothermia pretty easily.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
brownl_91
Dúnadan

Post by brownl_91 »

Sounds like a very unfortunate experience. One that many people have encountered. My bedroll consists of 1 0r 2 wool. If there isn't a chance or rain, of if it isn't supposed to rain a lot, that's all I carry. I've never had a problem of getting cold and wet (yet knock on wood). However, if its going to have a heavy dew or supposed to rain a lot I have a piece of canvass that I bring. Its 6'x8'. I just picked up a piece of canvass that was used as a drop cloth for painting and treated it with a mixture melted beeswax, linseed oil, and brown oil pant for color. This works pretty well for keeping me dry. It would have worked better if I washed the canvass first and shrunk it. The downside is that the line seed oil has a smell that takes a long time to go away. If I had to redo it, I would make the canvass shell a little bit bigger because right now its the same size as my blankets.
bed roll lay out small.jpg
bed roll lay out small.jpg (77.43 KiB) Viewed 16426 times
I've used this down to 28 degree weather and it kept me pretty warm as long as i take a second wool blanket, which isn't as thick as the one in the picture.

The long hunters used to sew the bottom together and then put the side that is not open towards the wind, that we they could get in and out easy without worrying about wind, or there feet popping out of the bottom.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

As a general rule, canvas or oilcloth (often oilcloth made from canvas) are the way to go. They'll keep you dry, and add an extra degree of separation from the ground.

Did you pile anything beneath you? Leaves, pine needles, etc.? Making sure that you're up off the ground, even just an inch, will make a huge difference. The ground can suck warmth away from you at a shocking rate...enough to put you into hypothermia, as was already mentioned.

Wool as an insulator is great, but I'd recommend shielding your wool from the ground with a layer of canvas, like brownl_91 showed.

You might take a quick read through our slowly growing Middle Earth Ranger Wiki...lots of good information there, all compiled from the discussions and research found on this forum. For example, the Setting Camp page.

I'm tinkering around with hosting another Indiana Ranger moot, perhaps in late November. You guys should consider coming out and joining us!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

My tumpline bedroll currently consists of a gray '4-point' Hudson's Bay blanket (which is just a bit on the thin side for winter outings, have to start looking for a properly thick one) wrapped up inside a WWII-era soviet 'plash-palatka'--an ingenious 6'x6' piece of heavy OD canvas which can also be converted to a hooded raincape/cloak. Without any additions, it's relatively rainproof already (a time or two I've slept on the ground, in moderate rain, with the plash simply thrown over top of me and woken up the next morning to find the canvas merely damp, with my body's outline totally dry). Combined with ground insulation of some kind, this is usually plenty for three-season camping.

Like Greg said, staying dry and getting up off the ground is key when sleeping outdoors. Pine needles, dry leaves, sheaves of dry weedy grasses, corn stalks, whatever. Because my area of operations is pretty conifer-impoverished and our leaves are generally wet and humus-y, I'm starting work on a portable period method of ground insulation--sewn cattail mats. Will hopefully keep you updated as the project progresses.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

"I'm tinkering around with hosting another Indiana Ranger moot, perhaps in late November. You guys should consider coming out and joining us!"

I mentioned this to Henry and he asked he if could come.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Straelbora wrote:"I'm tinkering around with hosting another Indiana Ranger moot, perhaps in late November. You guys should consider coming out and joining us!"

I mentioned this to Henry and he asked he if could come.
If I have the money, I will most definately be there!!!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks guys! I actually have a 9x12 dropcloth and a nice wool blanket, so when I get the chance I will put it all together!

And Greg, that would be awesome! I will talk to Addreonynn about it and hopefully we can join in!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

While it's here and open, I suppose I should ask the first real big question...how is everyone with weekdays on their work schedule? I happen to only have Monday-Thursday off starting up in a few weeks, so requesting a weekend off could be a small challenge. How are you all with week days?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

Greg wrote:While it's here and open, I suppose I should ask the first real big question...how is everyone with weekdays on their work schedule? I happen to only have Monday-Thursday off starting up in a few weeks, so requesting a weekend off could be a small challenge. How are you all with week days?
weekdays are near impossible for me, but it is highly unlikely that I could make it :cry: unless i win the lottery or something! lol
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

That's ironic... I work Sunday through Wednesdays on a set schedule, so I usually only have weekends off.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

I'm going to be the "Debbie Downer" of the group when I say this but,,,,One thing people need to realize is that they can's expect to be as comfortable sleeping in just a blanket bedroll as they are in their modern sleeping bag or bed at home. If you read old memoirs and diaries you will see many accounts of long, cold, miserable nights. If you are in a static camp and don't have to worry about carrying a mountain of blankets and canvas, then yes you can be very comfortable. But if you are going to have to carry your equipment for any distance for more than an overnighter you will quickly realize why the old timers went with one blanket or sometimes less. The common theme to keeping warm that I have found in my reading, is sleeping by a large fire or spooning. Modern fire restrictions can put a damper on the large fires, and modern "social issues" can often consider spooning let's just say "odd". As others have said, a good base of insulation under you is going to be key. Be careful about using seal canvas as a covering. On a Civil War campaign one time, I had a rubberized groundcloth that I was sleeping on then I wrapped up in my blanket and covered myself with a linseed oil treated groundcloth. halfway through the night I woke up soaking wet because the treated groundcloth didn't breath and allow the condensation to escape.
Sleeping on the ground with blanket bedrolls and something that in my opinion takes practice to find out what works for you. Your modern body has to get used to it. try sleeping with the windows of your bedroom open for a week or so before your trip, even in the winter. I usually sleep with just a sheep because I have to share my room with my wife and baby. Your body will adapt to sleeping in colder conditions. If you have ever seen "Ride with the Devil", they have trouble sleeping indoors after sleeping outside for so long because it's too warm. Also in "Reminisces of a Private", the author talks about sleeping outside on the lawn when he gets home after the war, much to his mother's dismay, because after 4 years of sleeping out on the ground his body has become accustomed to it.
I live in Arkansas and have done a few events in Missouri, we can be kind of cursed around here with hot days and COLD nights. So sometimes preparing for an overnighter can be tricky.
You can't take the sky from me.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It has been said before. It bears saying again;

If you are going to go minimalist, and bedroll camping is part of that, then you have to come to terms with a new definition of the word 'comfortable'.

I minimalist camp and hike year 'round. It can be done. However, you do have to redefine your concept of 'comfort'.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Eledhwen wrote:It has been said before. It bears saying again;

If you are going to go minimalist, and bedroll camping is part of that, then you have to come to terms with a new definition of the word 'comfortable'.

I minimalist camp and hike year 'round. It can be done. However, you do have to redefine your concept of 'comfort'.

Eledhwen
What I meant to say!
You can't take the sky from me.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I used to sleep with just a sheep, but now that I am a studly Ranger I found a girlfriend! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: