Patrol into Rhûn

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Re: Patrol into Rhûn

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:Much like to (in function) the webbing suspension system that I believe you're thinking of that has been found in Modern Military helmets including, I'm sure, the one you once wore.
Yeah, like the one that impressed itself into your skull after a few hours' wear time.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

I see the padded ring being worn in between a coif or cervelliere and early greathelms, like here: http://www.themcs.org/armour/knights/We ... %20631.JPG

My helm is based on the olmutz helm which has holes around the rim and no surviving interior. Many people lace up a sort of web hard hat liner made of leather but I tried stitching on a fitted leather cap with wool stuffed between that and the helmet. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma29j ... o1_500.png
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, okay thanks. I can see how those holes in the second link would support some kind of webbing. Your idea sounds like it would be comfortable.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

B. Price in TOMAR uses the leather suspension on the War Kettle, but for his bascinet recommends a heavy fabric, stuffed tube cap with using horsehair. This is then stitched to bottom edge of the helm.

Great pictures. Thanks for posting.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.