Mini-Portmanteau

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Odigan
Vendor

Mini-Portmanteau

Post by Odigan »

In course of compartamentalizing my gear, I decided to fashion a "pantry" of sorts, specifically to carry cooking gear and rations. This was particularly necessary due to my use of a Yukon pack (mentioned here) which precludes ready access to its contents. It's purpose would be to keep smaller items at hand that might normally go into or get lost in a pack, but were not so essential as to be kept in a smaller belt pouch or haversack (in case one needs to dump the pack and the pantry with it...).

I wanted to size it to just fit my corn boiler and some other bits, and since it is round and I have a "thing" for portmanteaus, I made it as a cylinder. I had a piece of scrap leather which, when cleverly cut, was just enough material for all of the parts for this project. It consists of a body, two ends, two straps and two toggles. A quick and easy build which has proven functional and comfortable.

If a pack or bedroll is not being worn, it can be strapped to the waist "fanny pack" style, or worn diagonally across the back or just slung around a shoulder. It is big enough to do the job, small enough to not get in the way, firm enough to hold its shape but soft enough to take some abuse.
Attachments
Strapped to pack.
Strapped to pack.
Port_on_pack.JPG (222.21 KiB) Viewed 8767 times
Opened to show contents.
Opened to show contents.
Port_open.JPG (233.07 KiB) Viewed 8767 times
It may also be comfortably worn at the waist.
It may also be comfortably worn at the waist.
Port_on_back.JPG (174.44 KiB) Viewed 8767 times
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Mini-Portmanteau

Post by Greg »

It works. Watched it in action, and I'm making plans to fashion my own.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Now that is very nice. :)
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hey that is really nice! Looks like you got it to just the right size to be both comfortable and useful! (I have always had a hard time stiking the proper balace with that type of set up) Well done! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Very nice. I bought a pre-made one a few years ago, before I delved into putting together leather items for myself. It's a bit smaller, but I use it for essentially the same purpose.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Very nice indeed! I like what you have done there, it actually looks very stylish. I can imagine that it could be embellished to fit other cultures as well. Thanks for sharing!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

What a good idea! I have always liked portmanteaus. If I can get a hold of some leather, I may borrow your idea.
You can't take the sky from me.