MY FIRE MAKING KIT

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

RikJohnson
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

MY FIRE MAKING KIT

Post by RikJohnson »

Fire is vital so I have two flint-&-steel kits, one normal size, the other a micro-kit. I traded some flint that I brought back from England for the strikers, one large one that fits my hand and a smaller one for an emergency pocket kit that is identical to the larger kit save in size.

Both kits are identical carrying striker, tender, flint and charcloth (in that steel box). I make my own charcloth. I have a pile of English flint outside my front door that came home with me from England where they line roads with the stuff! I use whatever natural rope cut to pieces for the tender or if I find something on the road, I pick it up and save that too. Fortunatly, a lot of birds in Arizona make 'fake' nests to draw predators away from the real nest so these 'fake' nests can be used for tender.

These are one of my inventions. A cotton make-up removal disc, soaked in petroleum jelly and covered with beeswax. Break one open, strike a spark and they ignite like a candle. One disc will set a 3” log on fire within minutes!
People in the past were not stupid and I figure that someone would have figured out “hey! If I soak some rags in oil then dip it in wax, I can have a good way to start fires!” Just like an antler arrow rest tied to my Longbow! Just because they were not common does not mean that someone didn’t invent one. They just never went into business making them for other people.

One thing I am working on is a Bow-Drill! Although more bulky, these seem to be easier to use and provide fire faster than the flint-&-steel that I have. Sometimes, getting that spark with that flint is a pain.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Addreonynn

Re: MY FIRE MAKING KIT

Post by Addreonynn »

I actually made something VERY similar to the makeup pads, but with a beeswax infusion. Got the idea from Dave canterbury and his mini-inferno. Good kit btw
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Those fire-starter discs are great. I know someone who does something similar with wax, dryer lint, and egg cartons. Those things go up like you wouldn't believe! I bet these are quite the same in that regard. I may have to try that.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RikJohnson

Post by RikJohnson »

The Egg-carton ones with rolled-up newspaper and candle wax are the best! My father taught me those.

dryer lint has too much synthetic junk in it. look at your clothes labels.. polyester and nylon, rayon, etc are mixed in the dryer lint and are toxic when burned.

I wanted something portable. So after many experiments, came up with these discs.
The newer version has a wick sticking out the side<g>.
Those who give up a little freedom in place of a little security will soon discover that they possess neither.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

It may have been mentioned elswere, but when I was a scout we took tuna cans and corragated cardboard rolled and cut to just below the hight of the can and poured melted wax into them with several wicks made of clothes line. They make excellent fire starters and can actually be used for backpacking hot plates. but you have to get the tuna cans from the sea elves of Lindon I'm afraid so it may not be cheap to be in period! :wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Awesome kit! Addreonynn has been intructing me on the best fire making methods for ranging lately, but I haven't seen the "make-up" discs idea or anything like it thus far. I will definately have to give it a try!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Addreonynn

Post by Addreonynn »

RikJohnson wrote:Sometimes, getting that spark with that flint is a pain.
Alot of beginners to flint and steel have trouble with this. There is so much technique, it's hard to explain. I started on a broken piece of file I found at a garage sale so by the time I got an actual steel, I was very good! I can throw sparks once and get an ember. I don't use char cloth, I use punkwood. I've never used charcloth, and I don't want to. punkwood is everywhere in the woods, while you don't find many tee shirts! :lol: Like Eothain said, I've been instructing him in the ways of traditional bushcraft and he's taking to it surprisingly fast. While he's very talented when it comes to the combat aspect, he's a flat out noob when it comes to fire :wink: but today, we went out with snow on the ground for a quick trek because we haven't been out for a while. For the fire, I told him to do it while I gathered wood. I taught him as much as i could, the rest is up to him figuring out technique. I barely had time to get back with wood before he had an ember. He took some of the cedar bark we gathered from the journey there, and blew it into a flame!

The wood was damp due the the two day rain we had then it froze, and we got 5 inches of snow. He tended the fire well enough, we had flame for the brew! I was proud of him! His first flint and steel fire! :shock: :o :wink: :lol:

Just remember, when using punkwood (which is better and more accurate for a woodsman) you have two options:

1. glancing blows that shower the tinderbox with many weak sparks
2. powerful direct blows that send few HOT sparks

both are good but the second is MUCH harder! I can get it with the second, but it can take 5 to 10 strikes!!! :oops: while on the contrary, with the first, i usually get it on the first or second strike. Up to you!
If by my life or death I can protect you, I will. You have my sword...
To truly survive in the woods, one must be able to thrive in the woods
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

I was just as surprised as you, Addreonynn! It was definately a good time, despite winter, haha!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.