Carolina Renaissance Festival

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Carolina Renaissance Festival

Post by Mirimaran »

Hail Rangers!

Since some of us live in NC and the surrounding Southeast, this seems to be the Faire that is most central to the lot of us. The CRF starts Oct 10th till Nov. 22th and that gives plenty of time to set up a Ranger moot. I am also a member of NC Fellowship, a Tolkien group that goes in Middle-earth garb as well. I am sure we could do a meet-up with them. I know I am able to attend the 1st, 3rd, the 5th, and 7th weekends, weather permitting, so my wife Morielda and I would love to meet other Rangers! Here is the link:

http://www.royalfaires.com/carolina/

The first weekend tends to be very hot, and the last one is usually cool, so dress accordingly!

What say you, Rangers?
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Carolina Renaissance Festival

Post by Greg »

I'd fight half a dozen uruks bare-handed if it meant I could be there.

Anyone seen any raiding parties floating around? I haven't seen any here on the 3rd floor for weeks...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That faire looks far better than the Raleigh faire. The Raleigh faire seems to have become a flea market in garb.

It's hard for me to pin down a specific date this far out, but I will plan to bring the family. I know we have something planned in October, but I'll have to check the date again.
Mirimaran, here's my e-mail: eacart@earthlink.net. My Orc catcher (spam filter) may stop you at the gate, but I'll allow you.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Sounds good Eric, here is mine freerangecelt@hotmail.com I am sure we can find some time in those 7 weekends for a get together, even if it is just our families. Oh yes, the CRF is something like 22 acres now, it's a wonderful faire.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote:I'd fight half a dozen uruks bare-handed if it meant I could be there.

Anyone seen any raiding parties floating around? I haven't seen any here on the 3rd floor for weeks...
Greg I bet you have some cool faires and festivals out there in your neck of the woods. How goes it for Tolkien reenactors?
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Anytime in October is good for me. We'll be down there to visit the wife's parents anyway by lake norman.
Winter is coming
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, Lake Norman. There are some Highland games there every year that I need to check out some time.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric C wrote:Hmm, Lake Norman. There are some Highland games there every year that I need to check out some time.
My wife and I are life patrons for the Loch Norman Highland Games and I hope you and your family can attend next year. There are events at Rural Hill all year long; the biggest being the Maize Maze. The Games had over 10,000 visitors this year! I know you and the other Rangers would enjoy the reenactment camp as well, alot of good supplies to be had there.

http://www.ruralhill.net/
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

I will be there, though not sure which weekend, who wants to meet?
lacking anything clever to say.......
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

My wife and I will be there on the 1st, 3rd, the 5th weekend and the 7th weekend, weather permitting. We've been down there in the rain and it's not the best faire going experience. We did survive the great flood of '03; it rained so hard there was practically a river flowing all the way down to the joust area, and flooding out Boss Wench. I am trying to get others to come as well so that we can have a proper Ranger Moot, and I might be able to get some Tolkien folks to show up as well, mostly Elves with a hobbit or two thrown in 8) We live about 45 minutes north via interstate from the Faire, so getting there isn't a problem for us. I hope that if folks attend, that you will be in Ranger garb! The last two seasons I've worn more of a Bombadil/wayfarer ensemble, so it would be nice to get back to Rangering, for the only other person I have seen down there who portrays anything remotely Tolkien is an Elf-lord who claims the faire as part of his territory. It's time a troop of Rangers shows up!
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Mirimaran wrote:My wife and I will be there on the 1st, 3rd, the 5th weekend and the 7th weekend, weather permitting. We've been down there in the rain and it's not the best faire going experience. We did survive the great flood of '03; it rained so hard there was practically a river flowing all the way down to the joust area, and flooding out Boss Wench. I am trying to get others to come as well so that we can have a proper Ranger Moot, and I might be able to get some Tolkien folks to show up as well, mostly Elves with a hobbit or two thrown in 8) We live about 45 minutes north via interstate from the Faire, so getting there isn't a problem for us. I hope that if folks attend, that you will be in Ranger garb! The last two seasons I've worn more of a Bombadil/wayfarer ensemble, so it would be nice to get back to Rangering, for the only other person I have seen down there who portrays anything remotely Tolkien is an Elf-lord who claims the faire as part of his territory. It's time a troop of Rangers shows up!
I'll run it by the wife again to be sure but I'm pretty sure we'll be there on the third weekend. That's the 24th if I'm not mistaken.
Winter is coming
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

it depends how I feel the days I go, some times it is full armour, some times it is just 'viking' kit.
lacking anything clever to say.......
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

As it stands now, Oct 17 is out. That is unless something changes between now and then.
David, I hope we can get together again there.
Edited after I checked the dates of the faire. The 17th is the second weekend of the faire.
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Can you camp at this faire or is it just a day thing?.... Been talkin to another member here in the area and we are probably gonna try an come together....hope we can all meet up!
watchinglisteningdefending
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Oissene wrote:Can you camp at this faire or is it just a day thing?.... Been talkin to another member here in the area and we are probably gonna try an come together....hope we can all meet up!
The Festival runs for 7 weekends, ending on the weekend before Thanksgiving. The only camping allowed on the site is for participants. There are several hotels in the area, and there is a KOA in Statesville, which is right up the interstate from the Festival.