Pattern Problems

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Pattern Problems

Post by Greg »

I'm in need of some explanations regarding the pattern of a surcoat. Is it just a rectangle with the necessary head hole and slits, or do the sides dish in to fit the waist, etc? Any examples/pics would be greatly appreciated. I just can't find any pics of a surcoat laid out, and heaven knows there aren't any mainstream patterns for them out there.

Thanks in advance!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Pattern Problems

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:I'm in need of some explanations regarding the pattern of a surcoat. Is it just a rectangle with the necessary head hole and slits, or do the sides dish in to fit the waist, etc? Any examples/pics would be greatly appreciated. I just can't find any pics of a surcoat laid out, and heaven knows there aren't any mainstream patterns for them out there.

Thanks in advance!
I made several years ago and I didn't alter the waist. I did angle the shoulders a little other wise it looks like a Zoot suit. I also bought a solid red one fron some vendor and this one also had the shoulders at an angle.
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The rectangle with a neck opening is more like a tabard. A surcoat is more cut and fitted.
Look at: Garb The World
or House Morningstar

SewingCentral has a nice selection and good reviews.

I have PP101 Period Patterns 101: Medieval Military Clothing, PP102 Period Patterns 102: More Medieval Military Clothing, and PP16 Tunics, c. 650 - 1350 A.D., plus several packs of Simplicity Costume patterns. You can get good deals when they are on special. Check out your local JoAnn's or other fabric or craft store.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Thanks for the tips, guys! I'll keep my eyes open for discount patterns, but odds are I'll wind up making my own.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I have found that sometimes making your own patterns are the best. I like to use parchment paper, the kind you find in the baking section at the supermarket. I know people who use brown paper bags as well. Let us know what you come up with, and of course, take pictures 8)
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh believe me, there will be pics. When the surcoat is complete, my kit is complete. Wham-bam, photo time.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Complete? NONSENSE!!! You'll think of something else that you MUST have for the kit. :mrgreen:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, let's try this again.

"Version 1.0 will be complete."