Getting a bow

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Getting a bow

Post by Raziel Alastor »

I'm getting a bow and I'm excited cause it used to be my Grandfather's. my dad said its a black hunting bow, about 4 feet in height unstrung, 49# draw weight, and true recurve. I'm not entirely sure if those are correct or exact and I will make sure, but I'm really excited cause its the first bow I can call my own. I get it tomorrow afternoon most likely and I will post pictures.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Getting a bow

Post by Peter Remling »

Please do post pics. Be careful to check the bow thoroughly before shooting. Wood will dry out and splinter and fiberglass has a tendency to crack when exposed to stress and elements.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Peter Remling wrote:Please do post pics. Be careful to check the bow thoroughly before shooting. Wood will dry out and splinter and fiberglass has a tendency to crack when exposed to stress and elements.
I will be sure to check. My uncle (he got the bows after my Poppa died) and my dad probably checked them already but I will as well. Thanks for the heads up!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Sounds like it could be a bear Kodiak Magnum or similar. Granted, a number of 48" bows exist...that's just my common guess.

Excited to see it! Like pete said...check it for stress marks/cracks, and don't draw it fully immediately. Exercise the limbs with several short pulls, gradually working your way back towards full draw, relaxing it in-between. You may save an eye.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Okay so it is a Ben Pearson 58" laminate true recurve, and it has a 45# draw weight at 28" (my draw length). I checked for stress marks and the only things i see are a few spots where the very top layer of laminate has been chipped from use on the limbs, a place where it seems to have been re-laminated by the handle and dust. I need a new arrow rest for sure and I might go to an archery place just to make sure its okay to shoot with. I'm definitely getting a new string (pretty sure this one is older than I am) and I might get a stringer to make stringing it easier but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, pictures!

Strung

and Unstrung

I apologize for the size. I'll be posting more once I get my whole outfit done and a new string. This one is so tattered that it isn't even intertwined together. I don't trust drawing it as it is.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice looking bow. My favorite bow is also a Pearson recurve, an old Mach 1.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Peter Remling wrote:Nice looking bow. My favorite bow is also a Pearson recurve, an old Mach 1.
This one is a Raider 7350
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Definitely get a stringer so you aren't adding any twist to the limbs.

Cool old bow! If the shelf's in good shape, you might consider just getting a fur shelf cover and strike plate, and shoot straight off the shelf, rather than getting a rest for it. Vintage look, vintage feel.

Hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

Greg wrote:Definitely get a stringer so you aren't adding any twist to the limbs.

Cool old bow! If the shelf's in good shape, you might consider just getting a fur shelf cover and strike plate, and shoot straight off the shelf, rather than getting a rest for it. Vintage look, vintage feel.

Hope you get years of enjoyment out of it.
The shelf is fine but I'll definitely need to get a rest. I'll look into getting a fur shelf cover but what exactly is a strike plate?

Update: I didn't know that was called the strike plate. I thought that was considered part of the rest.
Raziel Alastor
Wanderer

Post by Raziel Alastor »

I need some help with the arrow rest that is already on my bow. My now used to be my grandfathers so it already has an arrow rest on it. Since it hasn't been used or kept up in at least 18 years, it is in bad shape and I need to take it off. I do not know how to take it off of the bow shelf. It's fur but the seam, I think, is peeled and the furry part is halfway off with whatever glue or sticky part it was attached to is still stuck to the shelf. How would I take this off with minimal damage to my bow, of course, so I can replace it with a new one? I can get pictures of it if you need some, just let me know.

Update: I used an x-acto knife to get the adhesive off. It's working so I'm just gonna finish with it.