New bow, and some projects

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

New bow, and some projects

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I haven't posted for a while, so I figured I'd post some stuff I'd been up to.

I finally upgraded my puny target bow last month, going from a 35 pound fiberglass recurve to a 72 pound wood longbow. I've been wanting a real heavy bow for a few years now, but I always wanted to feel the bow before I bought it, since if it was going to be as heavy as I hoped, there was a good chance I wouldn't be able to draw it. At the PA Ren Faire last month, I was finally able to try a bow. They had one heavy bow in stock, and as soon as I drew it I fell in love. A free lesson came with buying the bow, and the guy doing the lesson said he really didn't have anything he could teach me. I was the most accurate I've ever been when I tried the bow for the first time (as a side note, he does a little experiment to "mold" the bow to you and make it truly yours, where he lets you use his bow for one shot, then switch back to yours. His felt different for some reason, and I got a decent shot off, then asked what made it different. He said the bow was 105 pounds! I still drew it all the way though. Once.) I got a dozen arrows with it (which are around twice as thick as my 35 pound arrows).

It took a ton of concentration to use proper technique with such a heavier bow, so I didn't want to shoot at home until I'd made a bracer. I've always used string slap as an incentive to use proper technique, so I've never needed one before. With a 72 pound bow, though, I figure it's worth the time to make it and put it on before each time I shoot if it just stops one string slap. So, here it is:

I was initially worried about the top of my forearm, cause I have really beefy forearms. So I wore the bracer really high. Turns out the string hits much lower down, and I got a bit of a sting down by my wrist. I moved it down and didn't notice anything besides a sound if the string hit my arm.

I only just got out to shoot today. The first thing I noticed when I stepped outside was that my pond was partially frozen, and it was windy. I got one of my targets out and propped it against a tree. Because the bow is so heavy, I can't hold it drawn for any length of time. As soon as I get it to my anchor point, I have to release. It took me a while to dial in, but after two dozen or so shots, when my right elbow, wrist and fingers were hurting too bad from the strain and the cold to keep shooting comfortably, I got a decent enough grouping.

From here:

Not my best, but it was windy and cold and I'm still pretty rusty, without the benefit of coming into it with nothing but instinct, like I was doing when I first bought the bow (I guess my mind is clearer when I first pick up a bow after a long time, and I'm insanely accurate for a while, but then I think too much about my shots and I'm not as accurate).

While I was in the project mood, I decided to make a sling for my new horn. While I was discussing it with my friend, I realized. Why not make a sling. . .out of a sling!? It took me all of three minutes to come up with this horn carrying method, which works just fine and gives me a last resort weapon if all else fails.

And, lastly, I'm going to turn my seax and other knives into a hunting trousse. I'm making my character more tethered to the 14th century rather than just being pure fantasy, mostly because I find fourteenth century clothing and technology the most comfortable to wear and use. So, though the seax shape isn't appropriate for the period per se, if I disguise it as a heavy hunting knife, it'll blend in a bit more. I'm going to make a sheath for the seax that will also incorporate my utility knife, an awl (that'll double as an eating pick), and a smaller eating knife (the blade for which should be getting here any day now. I'll make a handle for it just like the utility knife). Here's what the layout would have been if I hadn't decided to get the extra eating knife.

(The dollar bill is for scale). I'm working on shaving down the handle for the awl so it's no thicker than the rivet holding it together and the socket the point goes into, then I'm going to dye it black. The whole sheath is going to hang down a little off of vertical on my right side, since I have a matching custom longsword on order that's going to be on my left side. The top of the eating knife handle will match up with the top of the utility knife handle, but they'll go into the sheath at different heights, since the handles will be different lengths. The awl will overlap the eating knife slightly where it's in the sheath.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: New bow, and some projects

Post by Peter Remling »

Congrats on the bow. Your projects are going to look great.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Lovely work! I'd like to see more of that seax sheath! :)

... No offense intended, but how do you maintain a safe backstop for the archery?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I have to aim down to hit the target, so if I miss the target entirely, the arrow only goes a few feet behind the target. Everything behind the target is so far away that I likely wouldn't even hit it aiming level, and if there's anyone in that general direction, I don't shoot regardless.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

The knife blade came in!

And here's how all of the pieces will sit when the sheath is assembled:

The new knife will have the same type of handle as the utility knife: black leather scales epoxied on and wrapped in brown cord. In order to match, I'm going to keep the handle square like the other one, rather than following the curvature already there, by using a central scale cut to shape between the two outer scales.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

That looks really cool! You've obviously put a lot of thought into makng al the pieces fit together well. Do you think it will be front-heavy, or will the minimalistic grips on the knives make that not so much of an issue?
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cool stuff!

Remember, BACK TENSION is everything, especially when shooting heavy poundages. Hold your hands together on the center of an arrow shaft in front of you, palms down, and grip the shaft while trying to pull your hands apart. You'll feel a tug between your shoulder blades...THIS is the muscle group you want to get engaged while drawing your bow...do that, and it'll take strain off your arm muscles and joints, not to mention remove a good deal of jarring from your release.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Stormraven
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Stormraven »

Good looking equipment. Good for you on the new bow. I know you will enjoy it. Like the horn too. Working on one right now for my Ranger of Ithilien kit so like how you suspended it.
"Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the wise cannot see all ends."
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I've either broken in my gloves a bit too much, or I got a size too big. When I first put them on, my fingers reach the end perfectly and snugly, but they quickly slide off. Now that I'm using them as shooting gloves, I can't have that, cause the extra leather gets stuck between the nock and the string so it takes me forever to nock the arrows, and it can even interfere with my release. Since I need something to protect my left hand from the fletchings anyway, I figured I had three options: get a new pair of gloves (expensive and risky, since I might accidentally get the wrong size), make a skeleton glove for my right hand and a patch for the back of my left hand (not preferable, cause I want full gloves in the cold anyway), or come up with a way to hold my right glove tight enough on my draw fingers to fix the problem. Here is my solution:

(As you can see, I'm very fond of this pair of gloves. I've been wearing them for any sort of medieval related activity from renaissance faires to WMA for years!) This is my own version of a skeleton glove. This version's just a prototype, hence the unfinished edges. I've never seen anything like this historically, in modern shooting, or in fantasy, but it seems to work. I just finished it a few minutes ago, so I haven't been able to field test it yet, but even if I pull on the fingers with my hand flat, the wrist strap pulls them close to true, and making a fist makes the finger rings pull the fingers even tighter. The wrist strap is super long so I can use it with short sleeves, a long sleeved tunic, a jacket, or my gambeson. Probably even my plate armor if I wanted to for some reason.

Next project to work on today is the hunting trousse knives. I got distracted making this this week:

My Dagorhir unit's new Standard, based on Celtic standards and dedicated to our unit's deity, Grizzlor, the King of the Bears. Still have to stain the handle (the one it's on now is scrap) and attach a couple of fox tails to the sides of the shelf the bear sits on.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Alright, the handle on the eating knife is done. Tandy no longer sells the dye I used for the utility knife handle, so this is a different type of black dye. It came out a little lighter, but it's not too noticeable. I re-did the wrapping on the utility knife cause it was getting loose and I decided to glue it down as I was wrapping. The reason the wrapping on the new knife looks different is because it's the old cord from the utility knife. I think the wear patterns on the cord give it a cool pattern, but it probably won't last all that long as the rest of the cord catches up. I use my waxed linen thread to do the handle wrappings, so the reason the utility knife handle looks so much darker than it did is because the wax wore off as I used it, leaving just the natural color of the thread.

I may have hit a small snag that will make the finished product turn out looking a little worse than I intended. As I said in the original post, the whole sheath is going to sit on my right side, angled forward. You might notice in the pictures I posted of the positioning of the items that the by-knives would be against my body and inaccessible then. I did that for the picture because the current sheath sits flatter that way (and also shows off one of my early tooling projects). I planned to reverse everything so that the good sides of the knife handles were out. . .then I didn't. Some of the epoxy from the handle scales got on the outside of the handle on the side that will be facing out, and the stamp at the end of the handle isn't as nice on the display side. The new out side still looks okay, but not as good as I would have liked.
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Nice looking equipment. I especially love the knives.

If your string slap is near your wrist, it could mean that the brace height is too low. I've had that happen to me before when I strung up my bow without paying close attention to the fact that when the string untwisted some when it fell off the bottom of the bow pulling it out of the sock.
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I'll see if I can increase the brace height next time I shoot. It isn't much shorter than I'm used to, but it is a little bit.

I finished the awl/eating pick! I didn't have to grind down that awl I was working on after all. I ended up finding a broken ice pick that I took the blade out of, which worked perfectly, cause now all three handles match, and the blade is much finer than it would have been.

Now, to start designing the overall sheath.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looking good! Can't wait to see the final product!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I have the main sheath assembled! It's drying and forming around the knives right now. Currently, they're all very nice and snug. Knowing how sheaths turn out for me, it'll probably get way too loose by the time everything's dry, but let's hope they stay like they are. They won't fall out, but a quick tug will get each of the knives out easily.

The sheath will be dyed green, and the suspension belt will be brown (the one that's in there now is just to get the loops stretched out). There'll also be complete stitching around the edges. I did one quick stitch because the glue I was using to hold the layers of leather together failed when I stuck the by knives in there. I'm still trying to come up with something cool to tool into the blank space at the bottom of the sheath. I already have my motto-Cervus non Dominum Agnoscet Sed Deum (the Stag knows no master but God)--abbreviated on my bracer and I'm planning for it on my longsword, so I have to come up with something else.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That is coming together beautifully!

Incidentally, I had a thought: if you're concerned about the by-knives and pick becoming too loose in their individual compartments, why not attach something to secure them slightly better? Basically, what I'm thinking is, you could make four small holes or slits a the back of the main scabbard, and then run two leather laces through them - one for the by-knives and one for the pick - which you could then tie snugly in the front of the scabbard to help hold the smaller knife handles in place. Or, you could set up two slightly wider straps the same way, and then make a button or toggle closure.

Anyway, just a thought. Otherwise, it looks seriously fantastic.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains