Is PJ's Arkenstone a Silmaril?

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Is PJ's Arkenstone a Silmaril?

Post by caedmon »

The way Thranduil was riding to Erebor in force when Smaug struck, never struck me as particularly friendly.

I'm beginning to wonder if they're going to try to weave a 'sons of Feanor' style addition to the Hobbit plot...
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: Is PJ's Arkenstone a Silmaril?

Post by Eledhwen »

Ugh. Just...ugh.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I didn't think a Silmaril could be cut, shaped and fashioned, so my guess is no.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

No, it is not a Silmaril. The Lore is clear on what happened to those singular gems.

PJ deciding to discard the Lore once again in favor of his own ego is another matter. He is, essentially, the big reason Christopher has said no further licenses for Tolkiens' works will be granted. I already hear far too many people who haven't bothered to read the books argue fiercely that the movies are THE stories.

Ugh.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ignorance thrives in the darkness of illiteracy, sure watch the movies, play the games, download a library's worth of literature on to your Kindle, but for God's sake don't burn your books! One day it will be the only source of knowledge. But by that time mankind will have evolved into pearshaped people with swivel heads and google eyes that walk on there enormous thumbs! :shock:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I just don't get it. I really enjoyed LOTR. I didn't mind the changes and the cast was always very specific about what was said and by who and as someone who works in film part time I get the need for the changes but the Hobbit.....I really thought they'd capture lightning twice but I really do view them as the films you show kids when they're young before LOTR as young adults..sadly
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Yeah, I got the changes in TLotR trilogy. I understood them, even if I found some of them unnecessary, but I got it.

The Hobbit....isn't. It's PJs ego gone mad. Just...bleah. Now the movies as a fantasy production are just fine. But they are NOT 'The Hobbit', and Christopher Tolkien didn't think so either.

Thank the Gods and the Valar that PJ won't be able to have a go at the Silmarillion. I can only imagine what he'd do with that.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

It's George Lucas syndrome. Only in this case, he's butchering someone ELSE'S legendarium instead of his own. Which is rather worse :/
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm rather curious to see what the big deal about the gems that thranduil was 'denied' in film 1 is all about...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Indeed, We may yet see
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
bjaurelio
Dúnadan

Post by bjaurelio »

Manveruon wrote:It's George Lucas syndrome. Only in this case, he's butchering someone ELSE'S legendarium instead of his own. Which is rather worse :/
True, there are many similarities made between the Hobbit and Star Wars prequels. I've even made similar analogies such as comparing Radagast to JarJar. Thankfully, the Hobbit movies at least make decent fantasy films even though they aren't really the Hobbit. The Star Wars prequels were just bad movies.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

True dat.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

So does that mean that JJ Abrams will direct the re-boot? *ducking*
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ok, enough PJ bashing. My intent with this post wasn't to go there.

I think we all (or most of us) agree that PJ's vision is a highly flawed reimagining of Tolkien's material, and that we all will still go to see the next movie in the theatre.

I was more interested in how PJ is working in references to First Age material without explicitly pulling from the Silmarilion, or other books.

I think that Thranduil's glamour reveal of continuing wounds from dragon fire and his high elf airs are interesting and suggest a Noldor rather than the canonical Sindar back story.

Also the effects of the Arkenstone fascinate me, making me wonder what it is, as it's seeming malevolent influence feels like it is a property that was added to it rather than is naturally occurring.

If not a Silmaril what could it be?
-Jack Horner

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

From what I have heard, the jewels that Thranduil is so concerned about recovering are somehow related to his wife. Perhaps she died and his glamoured wounds are somehow connected?

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"