My Soft Kit (pic heavy)

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

My Soft Kit (pic heavy)

Post by Eothain »

The following contains pictures and descriptions of the contents of my soft kit.

1st layer: A tunic I put together from fabric my grandmother gave me. I'm not exactly sure what kind of fabric it is. My pants I made from thick cotton. My boots I purchased from Medieval Collectibles - http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-2 ... boots.aspx

2nd layer: A suede long tunic I made and dyed.

3rd layer: Something I am honored to wear, a leather jerkin made by our very own Greg. I received it as a gift months ago, his generosity and thoughtfulness means more to me than I have words for. Thank you very much brother, a thousand times over!

4th layer: My gloves, made from buckskin, purchased from a local hardware store. I cut the fingers off of them, all except for the index, middle, and ring fingers of the right hand glove. Up until recently I was shooting barehanded, but strangely over this passed winter my fingers got quite sore from shooting. A pair of "under-bracers" I made from leather purchased at a local Native American store, for padding under my bracers. And the bracers themselves I purchased from Medieval Collectibles - http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-1 ... acers.aspx

5th layer: My cowl, made from a heavy cotton and inspired by Manveruon. Also a sort of pin I attached to it, with only the letter "f" from the tengwar. Maybe a relic from Fornost, who could say?

...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
grimwulf
Dúnadan

Re: My Soft Kit (pic heavy)

Post by grimwulf »

awesome kit!!! love that 3rd layer jerkin.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

There's a lot of good detail going on there. Great job and well done!
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Great look. Where did you get that pin?
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thanks guys!

And the pin is actually off of a pouch sold with The War in the North collector's edition. My friend found it at a local thrift shop and picked it up for me.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Looks (and fits) infinitely better on you than it ever did on me. Glad you like it, and love how it's all come together!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Looks fantastic, we use a lot of the same ideas too
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thank you again Greg, it feels as if it was tailored for me!

And Rifter, it would be awesome to see some pictures of your kit! Not sure if you've shared any yet.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

I haven't, I'm currently getting the jerkin remade, I also should get pics of my Aragorn kit up as well
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Laothain

Post by Laothain »

Looks really well done I like the under bracer idea I have the same gloves and may steal that idea!
Beldanath
Wayfarer

Post by Beldanath »

That is a great kit! I am going to have to do a similar thread this weekend. 15 or so LARPers I play with are doing a photoshoot Saturday...should be a good time to do it!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome, Beldanath! Hop on over to the prancing pony forum, pull up a chair, and tell us about yourself!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Thank you, and welcome Beldanath!
Beldanath
Wayfarer

Post by Beldanath »

Thank you! I definitely will post and introduce myself. Was hoping to get some pictures of my kit...alas the wife and I did a photo shoot of my LARP character instead as my friends were all in their LARP costume...I play a Barbarian with lots of furs and runes so it doesn't quite cross over.

Maybe I will post without pictures and add pictures later :)

I tried wearing my Winnegas with 14th century chausses and braies and it was somewhat successful...still think I prefer 10th century viking hose...