Middle-Earth Tool Roll

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Middle-Earth Tool Roll

Post by Greg »

Greetings!

I've been mulling over ways to help orgaize my debris (ie. kit) for some time now, particularly in a way that would make the whole shebang more manageable in the field, in low-light (at camp--when the gear's really being used the most--in mind). Tried to solve a few problems with this one.

#1) In weather (and, frankly, in the midwest), tools around the fire get wet and/or muddy when in use...even after you've set up a shelter. Because, you know...the ground is still wet/muddy. This is how we go home with rusty forks, and mud-caked knives.

#2) In the twilight/by firelight, most of our gear (particularly forged iron pieces) blends into the ground. Because...earthtones. We kinda do it on purpose, but have you ever dropped a piece of flint (or your striker) in the dark...BEFORE the fire is lit? Good luck.

#3) After that article I wrote in the last MERS 'Edge of the Wild' newsletter, On Form and Function...I had better put my money where my mouth is on making my kit a cohesive unit that works together.

SO.

Solution to Problem #1:

Oilcloth. Protection from dampness, don't care if it gets muddy. Check.

Solution to Problem #2:

Light-colored workspace for high contrast. Neutral/undyed linen? Huh. Yeah, let's try that. Check.

Solution to Problem #3:

"Everything in one place." Uhh......try this?
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG (211.07 KiB) Viewed 18787 times
So what's going on here, is an oilcloth covered linen Tool Roll, common in the carving chisel, lathe tool, and other similar industries. Unfortunately, I don't have a solid historical precedent for this, much less a solid Middle Earth tie-in, but I'm hoping something shows up. I have a tertiary source that places tool rolls (conceptually similar to this one) at the battle of Waterloo, which is a little late in Shire Tech, but hopeful enough that I might find an earlier example someday. If you have any guidance in this area, it'd be much appreciated. In the meantime, I remind myself that this is still fantasy, so if I keep myself at or above 90% documentable in kit, I'm still plausible enough to be taken seriously, and not going way off into the blue.
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG (181.4 KiB) Viewed 18787 times
It's finished, and yet it's ongoing. It functions, but it only carries one item at present; my wooden spoon. As I decide what items will go in it, I will stitch in additional slots for them to live, such as my coal tongs which are pictured in place but don't yet have a permanent home. I left space for plenty of newcomers in addition to deciding where pre-existing parts of my kit will go. This will NOT contain food items, nor any part of my fire kit; that will live on my person in a less removable context. Things like nonessential cooking/eating implements, repair kit, fish hooks, and other expendables, however, will find a happy home here. The cool thing about the interior being fabric is that I can ditch needing a needle case...my needles can simply be stuck into the fabric in a row, and rolled up. Other similars such as brooches/pennanular clasps as the like can be stuck into the fabric as needed and stowed away easily, in addition to the tools that have a more permanent residence inside the roll.
When at camp, the whole thing will be unrolled and used as a workspace so that no items are easily lost; even in dim lighting, forged items show up in stark contrast to the linen on the ground and, thanks to the cover, nothing sits on the moist ground for any length of time.
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG (234.24 KiB) Viewed 18787 times
Here, we see that the top and bottom flaps of oilcloth fold over the interior of the rool, protecting the contents from having ends exposed, etc. before being stowed away.
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG (198.58 KiB) Viewed 18787 times
And then, once rolled, we can see that the inside is virtually impervious to moisture. It ties with a simple leather thong that I haven't attached to the end yet. The one end is tapered in to avoid confusion, so it gets rolled the same direction every time. Consistency is always good. The roll will grow in diameter as more items are added, of course, but it's still darned compact.

Sooo...

Does it use much more material to make than just a bag to throw it all in? Yes.

Do the items jiggle when I run anymore? No.

Did the old drawstring bag o' goodies have any other purpose? No.

Does it seem to fit the cultural texture of my Ranger impression? I'd like to think so.

Does this solve all 3 original problems? Pretty much!

The linen was hemmed all the way around with matching waxed silk thread, and then the main construction was assembled with a heavier brown waxed linen, which is visible. I chose to put my faith in the oft-avoided running stitch because of the lack of stress on these seams, and I've been very pleased thus far. I'm kicking myself for backstitching the hems on that oilcloth surcote last year because this went so fast and worked so well, but what's done is done. I'm pleased with this, and will update this thread as items are selected, ordered around, and slots are stitched into place.

Cheers!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Middle-Earth Tool Roll

Post by Le-Loup »

I have to say that I have never had this problem in what must be something like 50 odd years of camping out with primitive gear. The only eating tools I carry & need are a knife & a wooden spoon. The spoon resides in my knapsack.
First thing I do in wet weather is set up my oilcloth shelter, next I collect a heap of sticks for a bed. If the surrounding flora is reasonably dry, i.e. it is not raining or snowing, then I will add some dead furn or similar to the bed of sticks.
My knapsack becomes my pillow, & I lay my blanket out over the bed of sticks. If there is water nearby, then I can wash my kettle & spoon after eating. The kettle goes into a cloth bag. The spoon I can dry on my frock or simply shake most of the water off & place it back in my knapsack. Meat is cooked next to the fire on the end of a stick.

I think your idea is a good one, but perhaps you should consider the way you camp before adding more gear to your pack. Lying down on the wet ground is not recommended, especially in winter.

I organise my knapsack so that the items I use most, or may wish to access in an emergency (medical) are on top. I have no need to pull gear out of my knapsack to access what I use on a regular basis.
Regards, Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Greg

Post by Greg »

This isn't only for eating tools...there will be scant more than a spoon in here in that regard.

I don't ever sleep on wet ground...and this is not for sleeping on. This has nothing to do with bedding.

I don't ever cook meat on a stick anymore, and don't really know why that's applicable.

With all due respect, Keith, I don't think you really understood the point of this. This has nothing to do with adding more gear...this is about cutting down and organizing, in a way that culturally reflects a 3rd age Dunedain Ranger.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

As someone who has camped and trekked with Greg on many occasions, his regular gear setup is about as 'ultralight' as one can be within the realm of primitive materials. As Greg says above and as I understand it, this project does not add any gear to his kit, but instead reduces clutter by consolidating various loose items into a single container.
Well done - Logical approach and crispy execution as always, brother.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love it! The contrasting color is an especially nice touch.

I think the differing experience we have may be due to local flora. I confess I don't know anything about the woodlands of Australia, but the woods of the Eastern US (and I assume Western Europe) can some times of year create a deep fluffy leaf litter that will swallow most anything you turn your back on. I've not experienced the same at all in piney areas of course - but even northern Pacific woodlands with some more deciduous trees don't have the gargantuan leaf drops you get back East.

edit- I went looking in the late medieval German "Book of Trades" and didnt find any, but "absence of evidence... " etc. I have a vague memory of seeing a Roman reenactor with his medical instruments in a roll, but I don't know if he had any documentation. Fascinating question.
Last edited by Elleth on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yes, what the loose ground cover is composed of makes a huge difference. I live for a good pine needle carpet, but most of the pine clusters out here are on ridgetops, so you can't get out of the wind well enough to justify staying there for the mattress in most cases. Leaves out here, particularly in the next month, make walking quietly in anything but the rain a big challenge, and they will steal your socks.

...but only the left ones. What's with that?

EDIT: Roman Tool Roll? Eledhwen? Wulfgar? Any takers?
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Greg wrote:This isn't only for eating tools...there will be scant more than a spoon in here in that regard.

I don't ever sleep on wet ground...and this is not for sleeping on. This has nothing to do with bedding.

I don't ever cook meat on a stick anymore, and don't really know why that's applicable.

With all due respect, Keith, I don't think you really understood the point of this. This has nothing to do with adding more gear...this is about cutting down and organizing, in a way that culturally reflects a 3rd age Dunedain Ranger.

I was afraid that you may take my post this way, but we are here to learn & share, so I shared. You said, & I quote: #1) In weather (and, frankly, in the midwest), tools around the fire get wet and/or muddy when in use...even after you've set up a shelter. Because, you know...the ground is still wet/muddy. This is how we go home with rusty forks, and mud-caked knives.

This to me indicated that even though you have a shelter, you have nothing on the ground. Did I misread this?

The meat on the stick was again me sharing, no need to carry extra cooking utensils.

I do understand, & you will be carrying a lot less weight than I do, plus this roll takes up very little room, but I know from past experience that when people are still learning, they tend to want to add stuff that is not necessary. This does not mean that you are wrong, nor does it mean that you can not make a nice piece of equipment just because you like to. I was simply replying to your statement & it did not seem to fit in with a NEEDED piece of equipment.

Like I said, good idea, I hope you enjoy carrying & using it.
With Respect & Sincere Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.

Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Very cool! Seems like it should solve your problem, and it's very cleanly executed, to boot!
Greg wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have a solid historical precedent for this, much less a solid Middle Earth tie-in, but I'm hoping something shows up. I have a tertiary source that places tool rolls (conceptually similar to this one) at the battle of Waterloo, which is a little late in Shire Tech, but hopeful enough that I might find an earlier example someday.
When I first saw the pictures, the reminded me of a 18th century hussif - this one is from the late 18th century, but I've read that the term "housewife" was used to describe a sewing kit like this for the first time in print in 1749. That at least brings the concept of a rolled-up pocketed cloth case for easily lost things to be carried in the field into the first half (barely) of the 18th century.

The big differences I'm noticing between the hussif and your tool roll (besides the embroidery) is the size and the orientation of the pockets. The reason for the size difference is pretty obvious, given your purpose for your tool roll, and the pocket orientation that you have used would make for much easier addition of compartments as needed in the field. It's not a perfect match, by any means, but demonstrates the concept (and like you said, this is fantasy).

As for Roman tool rolls, I have found two recreations of Roman surgeon tool bags (here and here) that use a very similar construction method to your tool roll, but neither of them cite period sources.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

Neat idea. Is this going into your bedroll or is its intended use to free up space in your snap sack?
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Taurinor wrote:Very cool! Seems like it should solve your problem, and it's very cleanly executed, to boot!
Greg wrote:Unfortunately, I don't have a solid historical precedent for this, much less a solid Middle Earth tie-in, but I'm hoping something shows up. I have a tertiary source that places tool rolls (conceptually similar to this one) at the battle of Waterloo, which is a little late in Shire Tech, but hopeful enough that I might find an earlier example someday.
When I first saw the pictures, the reminded me of a 18th century hussif - this one is from the late 18th century, but I've read that the term "housewife" was used to describe a sewing kit like this for the first time in print in 1749. That at least brings the concept of a rolled-up pocketed cloth case for easily lost things to be carried in the field into the first half (barely) of the 18th century.

The big differences I'm noticing between the hussif and your tool roll (besides the embroidery) is the size and the orientation of the pockets. The reason for the size difference is pretty obvious, given your purpose for your tool roll, and the pocket orientation that you have used would make for much easier addition of compartments as needed in the field. It's not a perfect match, by any means, but demonstrates the concept (and like you said, this is fantasy).

As for Roman tool rolls, I have found two recreations of Roman surgeon tool bags (here and here) that use a very similar construction method to your tool roll, but neither of them cite period sources.
Great image & good information, thank you for sharing Taurinor. I have not seen this image before, but I carry a plain one myself.
Keith.
Robert Frost.

Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Here is something a little closer, an 18th century surgical instrument roll.
Keith.
L0012240 18th century surgical instrument case of Dr. Gillespie,
Credit: Wellcome Library, London. Wellcome Images
images@wellcome.ac.uk
http://images.wellcome.ac.uk
Surgical instrument case of Dr. Gillespie.
Coloured photograph
18th century Published: -
Robert Frost.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Taurinor, that is precisely the information I needed. That cloth one from around A.D. 50 has a strikingly similar pattern, though using the same cloth as the foldover flap, so I feel confident enough that I've only reinvented the wheel, rather than gone too far off into my own little world. History does, after all, repeat itself, and what worked once usually still does.
Ursus wrote:Neat idea. Is this going into your bedroll or is its intended use to free up space in your snap sack?
I have organized my snapsack (mentally) and am in the process of completing the steps necessary to be able to consistently pack the snapsack in the exact same way every time it gets put away (without thinking too hard about it), with the most often used items (dry trail foods and a small cup) on the front end, and the very bottom filled with my boiler in its super-kewl koozie, which only comes out at camp when the whole thing can be unpacked. This is a part of that simple system of organization, and yes, is intended to free up some space. Now, of course, matter can't be created or destroyed...I'm not changing the volume of the items present, obviously, but I'm using this as a way to keep them all together in a more efficient workspace-intended piece that has its own inherent function. No "pouch for sewing kit, pouch for fishing kit, pouch for medical kit, pouch for blah blah blah". All-inclusive. Again, like I stated in my original post..."Putting my money where my mouth is." The only "tools" of any kind that will be separate from this roll, apart from blades and bow, will be my tinderbox and its contents, because Tolkien was thoughtful enough to write about Need-Wallets.

...and that's enough kit spoilers for now.

Thanks so much for the research input and kind words. It was a pleasure to sew.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Le-Loup wrote:Great image & good information, thank you for sharing Taurinor. I have not seen this image before, but I carry a plain one myself.
Keith.
Not to get too far off topic, but Karen Larsdatter has links to many extant hussifs in her 18th Century Notebook site. That site and her Medieval and Renaissance material cultural linkspages are my go-to resources for these sorts of things.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Taurinor wrote:
Le-Loup wrote:Great image & good information, thank you for sharing Taurinor. I have not seen this image before, but I carry a plain one myself.
Keith.
Not to get too far off topic, but Karen Larsdatter has links to many extant hussifs in her 18th Century Notebook site. That site and her Medieval and Renaissance material cultural linkspages are my go-to resources for these sorts of things.
Thanks again, much obliged.
Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.

RikJohnson39
Wayfarer

Post by RikJohnson39 »

Although I love leather, I am too lazy to care for it as I should.
So I tend to make my kit rolls out of canvas as I have a large bolt on hand and they can be easily sewn as I lounge on the couch in the evening. Whenever I have to sew something, I use the scraps and make bags and rolls etc to use up the waste material.

I have a number of these, depending on my use. Eating kit, tools, fishing, etc.
They do tend to be bulky so I thin them down for each trip like do I NEED a drawknife if I don't need to make a bow over a short trip?

I think that the hardest part is choosing the contents.
MAKING the bag/roll is the fun part! Mine are plain and simple, other people's kits are a work of art.
All that must happen for Evil to triumph is for the Good People to stand by and do nothing!