Maintenance of pattern welded blades.

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Maintenance of pattern welded blades.

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'm finally within about months +/- of receiving my sword. I've never owned a pattern welded sword before and was wondering how to maintain it. This sword wont be a display peice it will be used in drills and cutting practice, so I'm curious about how to keep it looking good.

~RDM~
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Re: Maintenance of pattern welded blades.

Post by mcapanelli »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:I'm finally within about months +/- of receiving my sword. I've never owned a pattern welded sword before and was wondering how to maintain it. This sword wont be a display peice it will be used in drills and cutting practice, so I'm curious about how to keep it looking good.

~RDM~
My experience has been just to keep it oiled and make sure you clean it right away after cutting. Get an old tee shirt and a coffee can and soak the shirt in the oil of your choice. Let it dry and soak it again. It'll start to retain the oil. That's the cloth you'll use to wipe it down after you've drilled or cut. You should also have scotchbirght pads and whatever oil you use on hand at all times. It doesn't hurt to have metal glo as well for those tough scratches. I'd also ask Mad Dwarf waht they recommend as well. Never hurts to ask.
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

What had me worried was polishing through the etching, or is this even possible? all my current blades are mono steel.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:What had me worried was polishing through the etching, or is this even possible? all my current blades are mono steel.
As far as I know you'd have to use a pretty heavy hand to do that. I wouldn't worry too much if your just doing normal maintenance.
Winter is coming
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Cool, thanks Mike! 8)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~