The offcial deer hide thread!

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

The offcial deer hide thread!

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I've noticed quite a few folk here are hunters and home tanners, I've been working with buckskin for a few seasons now and I'm curious about others.

I use murphys oil soap to replace actual brains in my solution. It smells sooo much better :lol: I also prefer to buck my hides. I've tried dry scraping but I never got good at it, I always end up with holes you could sling a cat through when I frame the hide :lol: So generally I flesh, buck and then de hair the hides leaving the grain, alot of tanners dont but I like the look of grain on skins.

Historically I've read of deerskin being used for armour scottish cotuns, see here: http://www.stoccata.org/stoccata.nsf/Pa ... 5E0027897D
were traditionally faced with deerskin daubed with pitch over the quilted layers and there is a vague reference to Germanic tribes wearing "Studded deerskin" armour by Tacitus. Possibly a very early reference to a brigandine cuirass?

In a Eurpoean context I've yet to find methods other than bark tanning and cod oil was used in period and braintanning is simply the long way round, IMHO, as it also employs emulsified oils from the brains to acheive the same result.

I would like to hear from other tanners and historians. we could brainstorm some project ideas or swap methods and advice.

Best regards,

~RDM~
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The offcial deer hide thread!

Post by dwayne davis »

R.D
Their is a wonderfull book that explains buckskin tanning the way the mountain man used to do it. as well as some other cool craft ideas. it is called mountainman crafts and skills. by david montgomery.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mounta ... 439/?itm=1
here is a link to barns and noble.. just incase you don't already own a copy :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Cool book. I'll have to add that one to my bookshelf. 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have a family friend that is going to start tanning this year so I plan on learning some from him and also getting some leather. Also that mountain-man book will be mine soon.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

That has been one of the handiest books in my library. when you read it if you try to substitute ranger with mountainman you can see the utility of it.(course you still have to get out and do, but that is where all the enjoyment is.)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I'm planning on posting some pics when I get a hide or two to work on.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

I found this interesting reference to Deerhide armour:

"A Mexican horseman has much resemblance, in many points, to the equestrians of Old Spain; and especially to the vain-glorious caballero of Andalusia. A Mexican dragoon, for instance, is represented as arrayed in a round blue jacket, with red cuffs and collar; blue velvet breeches, unbuttoned at the knees to show his white stockings; bottinas of deer skin; a round-crowned Andalusian hat, and his hair cued. On the pommel of his saddle, he carries balanced a long musket, with fox skin round the lock. **He is cased in a cuirass of double-fold deer skin,** and carries a bull's hide shield; he is forked in a Moorish saddle, high before and behind; his feet are thrust into wooden box stirrups, of Moorish fashion, and a tremendous pair of iron spurs, fastened by chains, jingle at his heels. Thus equipped, and suitably mounted, he considers himself the glory of California, and the terror of the universe."

-Capt. Bonneville

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~