Patterned fabric, Dwarven or not??

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Patterned fabric, Dwarven or not??

Post by Manveruon »

OH WOW WOW WOW I *REALLY* LIKE THAT! It came out great! I love the pattern, and had I seen this before I would have jumped in on the houndstooth discussion - but it looks like Elleth covered it better than I could have. Houndstooth is a great pattern for “medieval-ish” garments, and I think it looks absolutely stellar combined with all your other kit! Well done! Quite the good look for a dwarf!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote:OH WOW WOW WOW I *REALLY* LIKE THAT! It came out great! I love the pattern, and had I seen this before I would have jumped in on the houndstooth discussion - but it looks like Elleth covered it better than I could have. Houndstooth is a great pattern for “medieval-ish” garments, and I think it looks absolutely stellar combined with all your other kit! Well done! Quite the good look for a dwarf!
Thanks so much :P and when I bought this fabric I had no idea that the pattern (houndstooth) was so well grounded in history (my only thought was "oooo.. that's cheap for wool") it was good luck and now I've cut the pieces to make a hood I've just got scraps left, I so wish I'd bought more at the time
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Awesome! I like how subtle the design is, but it gives it more character than a solid color.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

theowl wrote:Awesome! I like how subtle the design is, but it gives it more character than a solid color.
Thank you :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Used up the last bit:

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice job!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you :P
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Awesome. How warm is it?
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Well done!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you both :P
theowl wrote: How warm is it?
The fabric is woven and partially felted so it's quite thick and wind resistant, It's about twice as warm as the black wool broadcloth tunic i'm wearing with it, and a bit cooler than the grey hood made from the thick boiled wool I used for my cloak, it's good winter wear and to hot for summer but I haven't really tried it out much (lock-down)
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

Looks great! I think the pattern makes it a little more unique to you! Been rereading the hobbit and it seems like each dwarf had a hood that was a color of their choosing... Dr green to scarlet red... Cant wait to get to make a good clothes like this!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Meganbeyer wrote:Looks great! I think the pattern makes it a little more unique to you! Been rereading the hobbit and it seems like each dwarf had a hood that was a color of their choosing... Dr green to scarlet red... Cant wait to get to make a good clothes like this!
Thanks so much :P This is a really simple project, here's the pattern I made it to:

It's just a slightly modified version of the standard viking hood pattern, just try it with some cheap fabric to get the angles right before cutting some nicer wool
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Post by Meganbeyer »

Iodo wrote: Thanks so much :P This is a really simple project, here's the pattern I made it to:

It's just a slightly modified version of the standard viking hood pattern, just try it with some cheap fabric to get the angles right before cutting some nicer wool
Thanks, currently working on several mock up patterns before i order some wool... i sure wish i could find it from a local source but that has yet to happen...
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Meganbeyer wrote:i sure wish i could find it from a local source but that has yet to happen...
I know the feeling, I can get some wool's from a local upholstery warehouse (the place doesn't look anything like it would sell that kind of thing but they stock a little bit, have you looked to see if there's anything similar near you?), most of the stuff I use I have to buy on-line, using the endless slow process of ordering samples and then eventually finding something I like before buying, I wish it were easier
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

If you're struggling to find appropriate material, FWIW I got the wool for my last two hoods from the thrift store--one from a big triangular scarf, and the other from a pair of wool dress trousers. Lined with linen from my scrap bag, they're thick enough to be very warm at night.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA