Samson Historical Forged Folding Skillet

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

theowl
Vendor

Samson Historical Forged Folding Skillet

Post by theowl »

I received the 9" forged folding skillet recently, and figured I'd give a review since a few people on here were talking about folding skillets not too long ago.

The fit and finish is really nice (not as rough forged as I'd like, but it will get some character with use.) It's light, just under 1 lb, which is half the weight of the 7" cast iron skillet that this will be replacing. The only mark on it is the "INDIA" stamp on the bottom center, which I can live with. The handle is a butted steel cone attached to a hinge on the inner lip of the skillet. This way it folds into the skillet conveniently and you can wedge a stick into the handle socket to give yourself a bit more reach/fewer burns. The handle is secure. There's no real right or left wobble and it holds in place pretty well when extended, though gravity does most of the work.

We had a break in the rain, so the toddler and I fired up the pit and made some lunch.
delicious

The heat distribution is great. Its very light, so maneuvering it was easy, even with the awkward hunk of firewood used as a handle.

I'm very pleased. For $35 this thing is definitely worth it.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Re: Samson Historical Forged Folding Skillet

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Nice! I like that folding handle.
Frodo lives!
Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ghostsoldier »

I've got to look into getting one of those! I'm currently sporting an American WW 1 mess kit, lol. :P

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ursus packs something similar to this, and fried up some bannock on our last trip. Looks very useful, and seems reasonably close to Samwise's "Shallow pans"!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

Greg wrote:Ursus packs something similar to this, and fried up some bannock on our last trip. Looks very useful, and seems reasonably close to Samwise's "Shallow pans"!
In the spirit of sam I was packing a 7" cast iron skillet and a small steel dutch oven, but I'm dumping both for this thing. It's so much more convenient and weighs almost nothing in comparison. I'm debating replacing my oven with something cauldron-esque and lighter, so we'll see where that takes me.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very nice! I have utterly neglected my mess-kit, to be honest, but I may just have to nab one of these for myself someday.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains