Cawood-Korsødegården inspired sword

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Cawood-Korsødegården inspired sword

Post by Elemmakil »

So here is a rehilted Late Viking Age sword that used the Del Tin 5120, which is based closely on the find from Cawood, as a starting point. The pommel was extensively reshaped to capture the boat like shape of the original, and the grip replaced with one inspired by the Korsødegården find, though for this I used moose antler for the grip and made the vettrim (ferrules or grip collars) out of sterling silver, copying almost exactly the original design and inscription. Overall turned out fairly well.

The second picture also shows a later medieval sword that I reworked, again from a DT, based on Oakeshott's "Moonbrand" sword that was in his collection.

Finally, the last two pix are of a late 13th/early 14th century war sword I finished last week, which started life as an Arms & Armor 12th century sword. I reworked the grip somewhat, glued reproduction silver pennies into the recesses of the pommel, and made a new crossguard to match an original that inspired this rework.
P5020595-2.jpg
P5020595-2.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
P5020594-1.jpg
P5020594-1.jpg (157.87 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
P2100060-1.jpg
P2100060-1.jpg (192.44 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
P2100065-cropped-1.jpg
P2100065-cropped-1.jpg (137.43 KiB) Viewed 6625 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Cawood-Korsødegården inspired sword

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice work !
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome work, and coins in the pommel is nice idea :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Iodo wrote:Awesome work, and coins in the pommel is nice idea :P
Thanks! This sort of thing was not common in the Middle Ages, but is nevertheless documented, in particular a c.1400 arming sword that had an inset copper coin depicting the Duke of Urbino. Other swords, such as that of Edward III from around 1340 had enameled coat of arms in the inset. So while somewhat rare it was a plausible feature to include. I like it, anyway!