Bows?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Bows?

Post by Eric C »

Okay, so I've got too many irons in the fire and I am trying to clear some of them out. One of those "irons" in a bamboo backed hickory longbow from Rudderbows. It has been sitting in the corner for far too long and I am interested in finishing it. Of course it is too long for me to carry into the woods, but it will get me accustomed to building a bow. But as I thought of this, I wondered what you, the Ranger community have for bows. Post some pics if you can. What about websites where we can look them up? Did you build your own? Have it custom made? What is interesting about your bow? And don't forget arrows either. A bow is pretty useless without them.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I currently have a old wooden longbow, whose poundage is probably around 35 now, a forty lb Bear recurve and my favorite is a small Bear 50 lb hunting recurve. I also have an old Powermaster crossbow upstairs in the attic that one day I'll alter the firing mechanism to something resembling a Medieval crossbow. Then a little stock work and wa la.

I have about 100 arrows 85% are wood and a variety of arrowheads from normal field,to hunting and bodkins.

I made a lined leather drawstring case which is big enough to completely cover any of the bows. This cuts down on snags in the woods while protecting the bow from falls and bangs.

There was a conversation on the meranger site regarding Medieval arrow bags vs quivers which gave me an idea to combine both. I made a canvas arrowbag with a drawstring top and a shoulder strap. Unlike traditional arrowbags this one only opens from the top and unlike normal quivers the drawstrings can be pulled up and tightened which will both quiet the arrows from rustling and prevent them from getting caught on brush in the woods.

I'll try and get a pic posted this week. The test bag will only carry about 9 arrows and I didn't dye it so it's still a bleached canvas color but it seems to work well.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Now, I'd like to see that! I'm still waiting for favorable weather to get some pics of my new bow that I mentioned in the Gen Discussion region of the forum. I'm thankful for the rain, and REFUSE to complain about it, but it's too nasty outside to get out for pics.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

I've been reading the posts on the forum regarding bows and pondering. .

I do not want to carry a regular longbow when out in the woods, the forest's here in Maine can be quite thick and the trails I've been on no more than deer paths, very narrow. I want a short bow that will not stick out when over my shoulder and snag on every branch and vine in my path.

And I know the Peter Jackson movies and the few fan-made movies coming out here shortly are not necessarily "canon" but both Viggo Mortensen and the actor playing Aragorn in the Hunt for Gollum movie are seen carrying very short bows. So I did a little research and found a Welsh Short Bow, 40-50 lbs. pull and pulled to a limit of 20" so it is designed for snap shooting.

http://www.woodbows.com/welsh.html

I don't know anything about this maker and would be interested others opinions.

Faolan
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I havn't tried this particular bow but woodbows.com does have a decent rep for inexpensive bows and I have fired at least two of theirs- no problems.

When reading back over my previous message I realize I made a mistake, my two recurves are not Bear but are both Pearsons.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Horseback archery bows are generally a good call for short light (physically) bows with high poundage output. For example, a decently made horsebow, because of the "ears" (Or deflex portion of the limbs), the input poundage is increased on the arrow. So you may be shooting a 40# draw and you get a 45-50# output into the arrow. GOod deal if you ask me.

IF you can get on his waiting list, Lukas Novotny is a worldclass bowyer, http://www.salukibow.com/
I can vouch for his bows both by personal expierence with multiple bows, and the fact that most of the people that compete in the international horseback archery competition either use his bows or love them to death.

Unfortunately they're not cheap.

Another idea is mostly anything on this site, http://www.eastern-archery.com/unitedstates.html
I would suggest against Anything Kasai, and I can't vouch for Salosky and Kovacs, but the rest are fairly legit from what I've heard and seen.

I am currently borrowing one of my friends Saluki Bows, the Scythian (half fiberglass). It's AWESOME. Shoots likea dream:)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Silencers?

Post by Greg »

Random question that's somewhat off-topic, but certainly bow related. I just didn't see any purpose in making a new thread just for my question.

I know Tolkien never mentioned String Silencers, as they aren't medieval fare, but do you think it would be a crime to install a pair of natural fur silencers like beaver balls, etc, or would that be moving too far modern? Thankfully my new bow (arrived today! Pictures soon...) isn't too loud and the string doesn't slap the limbs TOO badly...I'm just so used to shooting with silencers I figured I'd ask for some thoughts.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

I don't think it a crime. I've seen rabbit fur string silencers on bows in very old pics so it was something thought of out of necessity and not tech research.

I'm actually thinking about an eastern composite bow. They seem to be most suited for Rangers and the Green Elves. Although born out of life on the open stepps where wood was not so plentiful, they seem so practical for the forests.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yyyyep.

If I had more money, there'd be a saluki headed towards my door right now.

However, being the college-age Studio Technician that I am, such beautiful machines are out of reach. I love the shape and size, though, so the bow that arrived is a 48" 58# Bear Paw "Horsebow Express" which is actually a modern laminated flatbow by make, with a set-back handle akin to horsebows of the steppes with non-static recurve limbs. It'll do well for me for a long time. It basically looks like a european horsebow.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I ended up getting the Rustic Longbow from Crow's Head Outfitters

http://www.crowsheadoutfitters.com/inde ... cts_id=946

45 # @ 29" draw Left Hand.

It was in my budget and has the "Scruffy Northern Ranger" look to it that I'm aiming for.

I'm going to get medieval bodkin and broadhead points for the arrows from another vendor.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey Faolan,

Same dimensions as my Hickory flatbow. It looks well suited for Eriador. Let us know how it shoots.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Faolan wrote:
And I know the Peter Jackson movies and the few fan-made movies coming out here shortly are not necessarily "canon" but both Viggo Mortensen and the actor playing Aragorn in the Hunt for Gollum movie are seen carrying very short bows. So I did a little research and found a Welsh Short Bow, 40-50 lbs. pull and pulled to a limit of 20" so it is designed for snap shooting.

http://www.woodbows.com/welsh.html

I don't know anything about this maker and would be interested others opinions.

Faolan
I know you didn't go with this bow, but I am considering it. Is there anyone on the list who has shot one? I have a longbow now that I need to practice with, if it will ever stop raining.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

I'm still waiting for that bow to land. What was 6-8 weeks they now tell me will be 8-12 weeks, looks like the end of March. We're getting into mud season here anyway, hopefully it will be dryer by then.
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I've been mulling over trying that short bow. I'll be interested in seeing what you folks think of it.

Currently I have a warbow of ash and a Magyar type composite bow, both of which are most excellent. The Magyar is a Grozer or a Kassai, the former I think. The warbow is a traditional D section with horn tips custome made for me some 15 years ago now.

Siani
Nandalad!
KerryTracker
Dúnadan

Post by KerryTracker »

RE: Silencers
Animal fur has been used by First Nation tribes to minimise the string noise. Also, I have seen museum pieces with leather hand guards that would also minimise the sound of the arrow rubbing against the bow as it is shot.

Otter fur seems to have been a favourite since it is water repellent.

RE: Horseback bows
I would imagine that the short highly recurved horn bows perfected by the warriors of the steppes would be an excellent Ranger bow. It would be short enough to manouver in thick woods.
The horseback riders shot those horn bows with thumb rings. I never have figured out how to do that. I keep getting scared that my left ear would get ripped off.....