A new compass for my kit

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

A new compass for my kit

Post by Iodo »

I know it's not historic in any way, but I was fed up of carrying this obviously modern one all the time:

so I got one of these: https://heinnie.com/marbles-large-pocket-compass and because I wanted to be able to mark which way I was walking I painted a white line on the inside of the glass (that you can rotate) and cut a notch in the outer ring (that you can also rotate) so I have two markers that I can change the angle between, and I made a leather pouch to protect the real glass face

I know I can't easily site along it to a fixed point on the horizon like I can with the lensatic compass so I will wander a little from my line, but because I almost never use a compass unless it's foggy or I'm in a forest I don't think that will make much difference to me, and if I was going to navigate somewhere I didn't know well I would probably bring the lensatic one anyway. I just wonted something a bit more believable to keep in my kit for emergency's, I've had it for three weeks and tested it a couple of times (learning to trust a new piece of gear like this does take me a while) and it seems good so far

Designing the pouch was a bit tricky though. I wanted it to be tight and secure but the compass has no way of attaching a lanyard, this would mean pulling it out of a tight pouch with cold wet hands would be hard, so I ended up stealing a design from this modern tactical pouch by Maxpedition:

the webbing goes all the way around the thing you put inside so that when you pull the flap it lifts what is inside up, my leather version works in exactly the same way:

I just wish I had made the leather strip longer and put the run of stitches part way up the front so it works better, I might remake it, I don't know yet?

still, it was quite a fun little project :P

Note: I always have a backup on me (my waterproof camera has a built in GPS compass), if anyone new to this reads this I recommend you have a modern navigation system with you at all times
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Re: A new compass for my kit

Post by Harper »

I can see a Dwarf having a compass like that.

The cardinal directions would be in ruins like on Thror's map, but only people like us would know.

It looks good.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thank you :P

I did wonder about repainting the compass points with runes, it's not liquid filled and can be stripped down completely, the only reason I didn't was because I might have risked upsetting the balance, I might get another one and try it?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I'd use this one, save the money and buy something else for your kit.

Once you are where you want to be, then maybe come back and do that.

Unless there's a good sale on them.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Harper wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:21 am I'd use this one, save the money and buy something else for your kit.

Once you are where you want to be, then maybe come back and do that.

Unless there's a good sale on them.
that is a good point, but they aren't really that expensive, the bigger issue is if I actually have time to work out how to do it
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! That little pouch is a fantastic contrivance, and now I absolutely HAVE TO try one of those myself!
I haven’t been carrying a compass on outings, personally, but around here we also haven’t really deviated much, if at all, from established trails, since that tends to be extremely frowned upon in most of Colorado parks and open space, and I haven’t found anywhere particularly good for off-trail trekking just yet - but I really probably ought to anyway, and this is a great solution!
As for re-marking the face, one way to avoid unbalancing the dial might be to print something onto a piece of paper rather than hand-painting it. Not an especially “authentic” solution, perhaps, but it would look the part, and the compass is already a bit of a stretch, technology-wise.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Manveruon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:56 pm Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! That little pouch is a fantastic contrivance, and now I absolutely HAVE TO try one of those myself!
I haven’t been carrying a compass on outings, personally, but around here we also haven’t really deviated much, if at all, from established trails, since that tends to be extremely frowned upon in most of Colorado parks and open space, and I haven’t found anywhere particularly good for off-trail trekking just yet - but I really probably ought to anyway, and this is a great solution!
Thank you :P it's so awesome that you like it that much, if you do make a similar pouch tho, make sure you sew the leather strip higher up on the front so it works better than mine
Manveruon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:56 pm As for re-marking the face, one way to avoid unbalancing the dial might be to print something onto a piece of paper rather than hand-painting it. Not an especially “authentic” solution, perhaps, but it would look the part, and the compass is already a bit of a stretch, technology-wise.
now that is a good idea, I might see if I can get it printed on a vinyl sticker or something, because everything I have always gets wet, the compass body isn't sealed so if I used paper it would probably end up spoiled