How do you choose to wear your arrows?

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: How do you choose to wear your arrows?

Post by ForgeCorvus »

For what we do, you need to be able to access the fighting gear without having to ditch the living gear.

Governments have spent loads of money and lots of time trying to solve this problem.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:38 pm For what we do, you need to be able to access the fighting gear without having to ditch the living gear.

Governments have spent loads of money and lots of time trying to solve this problem.

very true
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:38 pm For what we do, you need to be able to access the fighting gear without having to ditch the living gear.

I agree and disagree with this...and I think it's largely a factor of the time period each soldier is confronted with. You're absolutely right, that this has been one of the great challenges of every age. For instance, a modern soldier has to take part in a very different world of combat than a Ranger in Middle-earth would, which means the amount of equipment being carried is much greater and more complicated. If any part of it was ditched, they would be more likely to be SOL in their survival/combat scenario than a Ranger. To that end, a Ranger wearing a wool bocksten cloak and hood and a quiver with an integral snapsack (sounds familiar...not sure where I've heard of this...) holding most of their gear might very well ditch their bedroll to free themselves up in a sudden combat situation, and do just fine if they were unable to be reunited with the bedroll for some time (if ever). It all depends on what is stored where.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

When I carry arrows (which isn't often due to laws in local national parks) I find that having them on the back works best for walking and climbing but then taking the arrow bag out to tie on the belt is a good option when you plan on dispatching more than one shaft quickly.
Both back and hip quivers are depicted on the Bayeux Tapestry (I'm aware of it's limitations as a source material) and he fellow top right seems to have some weird sort of thigh strapping?

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.

... I'd always read that "thigh strap" as just a dangling belt tip - but looking over the whole of the tapestry, I don't see anyone else with such a thing. None of the belts show a dangling tip at all, which already changes my mental picture of late Saxon England a bit. Also I can't but think how much those quivers look like the wicker ones we see out there today - how much of that's an artifact of embroidery though, I've no idea.

Interesting.

One of these days I need to do a closer study of the Tapestry: the nobles on both sides look more Byzantine/Romanesque than the mental picture I've always had.

"Through a mirror darkly" indeed.

Back on topic... I've always thought the "shoulder quiver" guy looked like he just threw a waist quiver over his shoulders in a hurry to get where he was supposed to be. Or perhaps as you suggest was wearing it high because it was a bother in high grass, and perhaps didn't have time to readjust it prior to running to the fight. Either way, it doesn't look like something designed to be worn on / used from the shoulders.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

On the subject of historical quivers, not too long ago I came across this recent find of a 4th century Romano-British figurine. It's notable as being a possible depiction of the birrus britannicus but if you look at the shoulder, you can clearly see a quiver. They think it might be depicting a hunter. While quivers are a rare find from the late antiquity and early medieval period, I dare say this justification is a good as any for a back quiver in a hunting context.
b8292646cfab89ca709c25322c122f19.jpg
b8292646cfab89ca709c25322c122f19.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 8766 times
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

... well I'll be.

That's very VERY cool evidence! We know for certain it's Romano-British, not a later period game piece or something?

What strikes my eye is the regular folds of the cloak in back, despite the quiver. I'm gonna just laugh if the WETA cloak slit turned out to be historically accurate all along. :mrgreen:
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh.

I confess "extremely unusual" and "found by a metal detectorist" give me a bit of pause, and I'd be very curious to see a metallurgical analysis if one is ever done, just to rule out a Victorian or later creation. Still it seems quite plausible... and I've seen enough "well THAT is way earlier than I expected" finds by now to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I just love it. It's just perfectly archetypal. :mrgreen:
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I had originally planned to carry my arrows in a belt quiver but I’m coming around to the back quiver notion for sure. I wonder if there’s a design that would allow for both a back and belt configuration. A little bit of modularity depending on the situation. The trick would be making sure it isn’t overly engineered or looking like a MOLLE system-medieval edition.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

. I wonder if there’s a design that would allow for both a back and belt configuration.
Sure - a quiver's ultimately just a tube of leather or wicker or whatever. Punch a couple holes at the top, some at the bottom, and lace your strap(s) on wherever you need them. Or add leather keepers or rings at the top and bottom if you want to be fancy / don't want to be bothered messing with laces deep down inside a quiver body. Then move the straps as you need to.

... granted we overthink everything (part of the fun!) - but this is I think one of those things best kept simple.
Greg

Post by Greg »

That little figurine is gorgeous, and yes, 100% archetypal. He just oozes what we do here, and I love it!
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

I don't think we can just address the arrows without also talking about the bow. I came across the following video where this individual created a very good way to carry and quick draw his bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ua5PkxaDMY
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Greg

Post by Greg »

For all his creativity and enthusiasm...Shad's videos show a pretty clear lack of real world experience. The nail concept is nifty, but it kinda stops there. It might work better on a different piece of equipment...but if you're doing anything more than walking on open ground, cleared paths or roads, you're asking for trouble with a bow like that hanging off your back. Even the way film-Legolas carries his bow is asking for trouble in the woods. They're just too big and stick out too far, no matter how cool they look. You need something 48" or shorter to make wearing it on your back truly practical in the woods. My advice? Carry it in your hand. For all the wonder of various 'quick-draw' methods, none of them are as fast as already having it in your hand, and carrying it is rarely a burden.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:02 pm
. I wonder if there’s a design that would allow for both a back and belt configuration.
Sure - a quiver's ultimately just a tube of leather or wicker or whatever. Punch a couple holes at the top, some at the bottom, and lace your strap(s) on wherever you need them. Or add leather keepers or rings at the top and bottom if you want to be fancy / don't want to be bothered messing with laces deep down inside a quiver body. Then move the straps as you need to.

... granted we overthink everything (part of the fun!) - but this is I think one of those things best kept simple.

That makes sense. Might have a go at sketching out something like this after I finish my current projects. Thanks Elleth!
Greg wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:52 am That little figurine is gorgeous, and yes, 100% archetypal. He just oozes what we do here, and I love it!
Hah, the more I read into real-world history, the more I believe that the Professor had it right as far as fantasy goes. He knew what was up and the vast majority of what he wrote about in fiction had some sort of basis in reality. It's so cool to see fantasy and history reflect each other so well.
Tom_Ranger wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:21 am I don't think we can just address the arrows without also talking about the bow. I came across the following video where this individual created a very good way to carry and quick draw his bow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ua5PkxaDMY
We've discussed Shad before so I won't reiterate my problems with him but I will say that Greg has it right. He's got a distinct lack of real-world experience and a simple hanger for your bow like that is begging for trouble on the trail. Best to just carry it.