Middle Earth brewing

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Gulli
Dúnadan

Middle Earth brewing

Post by Gulli »

Greetings fellow wanderers!
I started brewing ales, meads and ciders... recently I made Dwarven stout. It's a smoked oatmeal stout with peppercorns. I call it HRUM, which is soot in old English.
I am wondering shat other types of ales would you associate with different cultures?
I am thinking brown ale for hobbits, braggot for Beornings. So let's have fun and suggest styles for different folks.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Re: Middle Earth brewing

Post by caedmon »

I associate Brown Ale with Bree, myself. Probably because of Frodo's song. I always figured that "there is an Inn, a merry old inn, beneath an old gray hill, and there they brew a Beer so Brown...." was inspired by the beer he had just drunk.

I think ESBs for the Shire, for I am told that ESBs are the most English of Beers, and what's more English than the Shire?

I think Elrond's Miruvore, which was colorless and sweet would be a flower & honey cordial, but for beer I'd go for a barrel aged Barlywine. Galadriel's lisse-miruvóreva is a very light dry mead.

HRUM sounds perfect for the Deep places and the Dwarves. I'll take two cases.

Probably pilsners for Moria Orcs. And obviously the foul cordial of the Uruk Hai was a wine cooler. The shades of the Men of the Mountain drink no beer. It's why they died.

Rohan is mead. Heavy and sweet, makes your tongue thick and tingley. Dale and Esgaroth are partial to wheat beers.

The Druedain drink a gruit beer, heavy on the bog myrtle and yarrow. Or so I'm told.

The men of Gondor, it's sad to say, drink more wine than is good for them. But there is strength yet in Ithilien, which is known for spiced ales.

It is not told what is drunk in Far Harad, though I guess it is a sea dark wine. And in Khand I have heard they drink fermented Mare's Milk like the Wain riders of old. Kvas and a rice beer are drunk by the folk of Rhûn.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Gulli wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:11 pm recently I made Dwarven stout. It's a smoked oatmeal stout with peppercorns. I call it HRUM, which is soot in old English.

I approve :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

caedmon wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:16 am I associate Brown Ale with Bree, myself. Probably because of Frodo's song. I always figured that "there is an Inn, a merry old inn, beneath an old gray hill, and there they brew a Beer so Brown...." was inspired by the beer he had just drunk.

I think ESBs for the Shire, for I am told that ESBs are the most English of Beers, and what's more English than the Shire?

I think Elrond's Miruvore, which was colorless and sweet would be a flower & honey cordial, but for beer I'd go for a barrel aged Barlywine. Galadriel's lisse-miruvóreva is a very light dry mead.

HRUM sounds perfect for the Deep places and the Dwarves. I'll take two cases.

Probably pilsners for Moria Orcs. And obviously the foul cordial of the Uruk Hai was a wine cooler. The shades of the Men of the Mountain drink no beer. It's why they died.

Rohan is mead. Heavy and sweet, makes your tongue thick and tingley. Dale and Esgaroth are partial to wheat beers.

The Druedain drink a gruit beer, heavy on the bog myrtle and yarrow. Or so I'm told.

The men of Gondor, it's sad to say, drink more wine than is good for them. But there is strength yet in Ithilien, which is known for spiced ales.

It is not told what is drunk in Far Harad, though I guess it is a sea dark wine. And in Khand I have heard they drink fermented Mare's Milk like the Wain riders of old. Kvas and a rice beer are drunk by the folk of Rhûn.
I can find little to no fault in this! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

no Real Ale? blasphemy
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Sorrel wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:46 pm no Real Ale? blasphemy
Real ale? What's your definition? As opposed to a lager? Or do you mean hops vs gruit?
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It occurs to me suddenly that my knowledge of alcohol and the brewing of alcohol is rather lacking haha. I don't know how much I could contribute to the discussion of individual culture's preferences but I know I could help with the drinking of it! It all sounds good to me. Especially that HRUM, Gulli! Mmm, peppercorn oatmeal stout. :roll: :mrgreen:
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ok, this seems to be a marketing term that is new to me.

Its a trademark for “real ale” as any ale made with premodern brewing and serving methods, with local (non-exotic) ingredients. Also by the name, (I didn’t see it in the marketing material) I’m guessing that it does not include Lagers which come from South American yeast?

It seems to me that any beer in Middle Earth, save a few breweries in Gondor and Umbar (I.e. that make Lagers brought in by Numenorean mariners )would fit this bill?

P.s. I don’t know where goblins got lager yeast for their Pilsner but it must have been through some deal with unnatural forces
-Jack Horner

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Anybody know of good Middle Earth themed pubs around the world?
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Are you talking Old-World style pubs or bars explicitly themed in a Lord of the Rings style?
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:56 am Are you talking Old-World style pubs or bars explicitly themed in a Lord of the Rings style?
Personally, I was thinking old world style. To step into a pub and feel like you stepped into the "Prancing Pony" or similar.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Ahh, in that case a quick use of the ol’ search bar gets you this thread which has many examples of what you’re looking for.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... hilit=Inns

I do believe this thread is more of a discussion on different brewing methods in Middle-earth and which culture would drink what brew. You might have more luck with your question in the thread linked above.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Orcs of all types would drink 'English Lager', ice-cold, fizzy and the colour of urine (but with less taste).... Ghastly stuff that shouldn't be allowed to call itself beer.

Porter for Dwarves (no rude comments about Stout beers for Stout folk please)...... Liking the sound of Hrum.

Gulli: Mukhuh targzu satarrigi sigin.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Ohtarvarno
Wayfarer

Post by Ohtarvarno »

IPA, Mild, Brown Ale?

And NEVER confuse lager with Real Ale!