Middle Earth brewing

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Re: Middle Earth brewing

Post by Desert Loon »

Not alcoholic, but I brewed my first batch of kvass over the past weekend. I like to bake bread, and although I know kvass was traditionally made with rye bread, I haven't learned how to bake rye bread yet, so I thought I'd try the wheat. I saved a few slices of a loaf that was all from hard red flour and dried them out, then toasted them - maybe a bit too dark. I put them to soak with some raisins, a spoonful of yogurt whey, and a pinch of yeast, for a couple of days.

Then I strained out the solids and had a nice clear brown liquid with a very slight fizz and a taste that took some getting used to. Turpentine came to mind at first. But I'm warming to it, and I'll keep on experimenting.
I read that kvass is traditionally brewed with sugar added, but I thought: surely in medieval Russia they would not have had that, so I wanted to try it with no sweetener, not even honey. Again, I'm getting to like the taste.
It has only a very slight fizz (a bit less than kefir), and it won't keep long. But it is refreshing, and leaves a good feeling in the belly.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Very cool
Frodo lives!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hunh - that looks like really interesting stuff!

How interesting that they used finished bread for it*. Do you happen to know if the bread was usually stale/old, and if that made a difference?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Elleth wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:03 am How interesting that they used finished bread for it*. Do you happen to know if the bread was usually stale/old, and if that made a difference?
Yes indeed: it was a way to use stale bread - though I expect that the demand for the drink led to a lot of bread deliberately left out to get stale.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Elemmakil
Dúnadan

Post by Elemmakil »

Gulli wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:11 pm Greetings fellow wanderers!
I started brewing ales, meads and ciders... recently I made Dwarven stout. It's a smoked oatmeal stout with peppercorns. I call it HRUM, which is soot in old English.
I am wondering shat other types of ales would you associate with different cultures?
I am thinking brown ale for hobbits, braggot for Beornings. So let's have fun and suggest styles for different folks.
What's your recipe for HRUM?