A discord server!

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Darnokthemage
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A discord server!

Post by Darnokthemage »

https://discord.gg/Q8zFBdZKjv

Link to a discord server from the Facebook group, thought some of you might be interested.
Artist, larper and history lover.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: A discord server!

Post by Cimrandir »

Hey thanks! Glad you posted a link because I didn’t want to advertise my own stuff haha. It’s the first time I’ve ever set something like this up so let me know if you have any issues! We’ll figure it out together. :lol:
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Logged in. We'll watch this one with great interest.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I’m in.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I'm curious to see how the discussion will work for me with my time zone. I will probably always be coming to the party late.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

So two important points have been raised by members here.

1.) The Discord might draw away folks from the forum.
2.) Discord sucks for long-term discussion and the search function is dubious at best.

Just wanted to get some thoughts out here. First, it's not my intention at all for this discord to be the main draw for this hobby. The forum is and always will be the king precisely because of the folks that post here. I'm thinking of the server as middle-ground that could serve as a pipeline to the forum for those interested enough. The Facebook group is a little .. chaotic to say the least and I've always considered the forum as the academic side of this hobby. I don't think everyone is interested in getting to the depths that the forum goes to but maybe some will be intrigued enough to dig further. I plan to be linking to the discussions here fairly frequently as questions arise. Discord isn't much better than Facebook but at least it you can organize a bit better than FB via the specific channels.

Which brings me to number two, yes, Discord does suck as far are long-term discussion goes. I don't really know of any way around that but again, at least you can organize it better than Facebook. The impetus for the creation of the discord server was a short discussion on Manv's livestream about using Discord to host voice chat conversations, discussions, or crafting time. I believe someone asked about setting up a sewing circle type of thing where we all work on a project and talk. Discord is very handy for that. I don't know if we'll ever get that started but that was the idea.

I hope that I didn't step on any toes here by taking the liberty of setting it up. It's my first time doing something like this and I was interested to see if something like this would be helpful for the community. Only time will tell I guess. Again, please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns that you have. I honestly consider this site the best place on the internet with some of the best people around so I'm doing my best to spread the word on how cool this place is.

Oh, and if anybody here is more familiar with Discord than I and has a bit of free time, I was hoping somebody from the forum would be interested in becoming a moderator on the server. It's early and small days yet but the Facebook group has over 1100 members and if we get even half of those joining, things could get out of hand quick haha.

Thanks all.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain