Rohirrim belt

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Rohirrim belt

Post by Cimrandir »

I. LOVE. IT!

That is so freaking cool Eofor and it looks exactly what a man of Rohan would have in his kit. I don't know if this was planned (knowing you, it most likely was) but I really like how the strap-end has the horse heads facing each other but if you look at it a little closer, the strap-end as a whole looks like a horse-head from above. Perfection!

Is there any particular reasoning behind the sun motifs? I think it looks great so I'm just curious.

Eofor wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:00 am As an aside the maker just happened to have a Rohirrim helm for sale that is in the package as well.

Serendipitous! Is it a helm of their own design or one from the films? Either way would look awesome as the Rohirrim cultural design was some of the best in the movies.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

A sun (typically gold sun on green field if memory serves) is a common Rohirric motif -

When Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli arrive at Edoras -
The dark gates were swung open. The travellers entered, walking in file behind their guide. They found a broad path, paved with hewn stones, now winding upward, now climbing in short flights of well-laid steps. Many houses built of wood and many dark doors they passed. Beside the way in a stone channel a stream of clear water flowed, sparkling and chattering. At length they came to the crown of the hill. There stood a high platform above a green terrace, at the foot of which a bright spring gushed from a stone carved in the likeness of a horse's head; beneath was a wide basin from which the water. spilled and fed the falling stream. Up the green terrace went a stair of stone, high and broad, and on either side of the topmost step were stone-hewn sea, There sat other guards, with drawn swords laid upon their knees. Their golden hair was braided on their shoulders the sun was blazoned upon their green shields, their long corslets were burnished bright, and when they rose taller they seemed than mortal men.
I think there's other references as well, but can't find them at the moment. And it's all over the WETA interpretations.

I suspect inspired by the sun-motif of the Indo European horsemen, but I don't know how much that's out there now was known when the Professor was writing. It makes sense I suppose - if you spend all your days on a great grassy sea with few trees to speak of overhead, how can you not be constantly aware of the sun?

(kinda reminds me of Lakota, etc. sun motifs as well, now that I think on it)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Huh, I haven't gotten to that section yet in my yearly re-read and I must have missed it the last time. Very cool stuff! I suppose I think of the horse too much as a motif and forget that there is other designs to draw from. Super cool! Thank you Elleth! I liked the design before and I like it even more now!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That looks so awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:11 pm Is there any particular reasoning behind the sun motifs? I think it looks great so I'm just curious.
Elleth has the right of it, there's not too much heraldry that we get a clear description of for Rohan and less still that could be stamped onto a small piece of metal but the sun is one.

It could very well be that the sun motif is in fact a royal device as we know that not only the royal guards but the king himself bore it -
His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the sun
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I commented on Facebook as well, but it bears reiterating - this is simply spectacular! Beautifully reasoned and wrought!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

One last update on the belt which has now reached my possession. I just wanted to show how close to the original design the maker was able to keep.

Having had some less than stellar commissions over the years this one is everything you could hope for.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that brass-work is seriously nice :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is just exquisite. I love the obviously one-off handworked feel of the piece.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
pellegrino

Post by pellegrino »

That is awesome. Nice work!
"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
jbook
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by jbook »

This is amazing! As I am putting together my Rohirrim kit slowly but surely, I am a little jealous.