Clothes vs Costume

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Re: Clothes vs Costume

Post by Cortharyn »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:38 am
Eofor wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:04 am It's a difficult topic to discuss because it has so many branches off of the main path.

When I am at a living history event and I'm wearing clothing that I have laboured all day in, foraged, climbed mountains and slept in minus temperatures that is clothing, The guy who pulls his cotton blend tunic out to do his one annual event with his beard rings and his drinking horn holder.... Is in a costume.
I think you're dead on what I was thinking. In my street clothes I usually sport military boots because they are rugged, light weight, comfortable, have plenty of traction. My home made (mod) Tricorn hat, and my belt usually has several phone cases hanging on it for utility. Phone, Med kit, small chow kit, small shelter kit and a Hygiene kit.

When I'm at home, I'll grab a Ruana cloak for warmth or make a quick blanket cloak.

If I'm out for a hike especially in the mountains I usually have a head wrap (old shirt cut into a triangle and tied over my head. I abandoned the old molle packs and simply use multiple belts, and I keep plenty of loops on my wrist so I can attach most anything to my clothes or belts.

Now a renfest or similar, I'm in a full kit with Forest Boots (Armstreet), And my typical pants and shirt and cloaks and bags and such that I picked up over the years (I'll get some pics posted eventually).

Now Camping is my next task, using ancient gear only. My goal is to go camping with enough ancient gear that I can travel easily and not be encumbered, but have enough to survive and defend against the elements and orcs without too much of a struggle.
I have also adopted the multiple belts and pouches system. I'm working on the ability to survive in the wild with only my kit. I'm interested to hear how you are set up currently. I have most of my kit together. I just need a smaller tarp. I went too big 10x10. The size would be fine if it didn't way 6.5 pounds. I've tested rucking this kit. Boots and all it's 55lbs. I'm almost there.
I am the weapon
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

How many belts and pouches do you wear?
I am the weapon
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cortharyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm I'm working on the ability to survive in the wild with only my kit.
Welcome to the forums Cortharyn!

How many days are you aiming for? Or indefinitely?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:48 pm
steel-toe turnshoes, you shouldn't put ideas like that in my head
.... well now I've seen everything.
that's kinda awesome and strange at the same time, good find :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Eofor wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:57 am
Cortharyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm I'm working on the ability to survive in the wild with only my kit.
Welcome to the forums Cortharyn!

How many days are you aiming for? Or
indefinitely?
Indefinitely is the goal. Thanks for the welcome. I just found this forum. I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate it. I'm looking for insight into functional kit ideas. The Facebook pages seem to be more about dressing up then actually making it happen.
I am the weapon
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cortharyn wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:55 pm Indefinitely is the goal. Thanks for the welcome. I just found this forum. I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate it. I'm looking for insight into functional kit ideas. The Facebook pages seem to be more about dressing up then actually making it happen.
It can take a bit of learning, posting a picture is a trial. The search function is probably your best bet as there are years and years of old threads discussing just about everything.

Indefinitely is a hard nut to crack, shelter is not too tricky especially if you are in one place long enough to build some rudimentary buschcraft retreats but the real difficulty is always food. It's out there of course, but while you're gathering it you can't be doing other things.
“There is food in the wild,' said Strider; 'berry, root, and herb; and I have some skill as a hunter at need. You need not be afraid of starving before winter comes. But gathering and catching food is long and weary work, and we need haste. So tighten your belts, and think with hope of the tables of Elrond's house!”
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Yeah, even Strider took time to resupply and lift his spirits with occasional stops at the pony. The world's current idea of 'survival' is quite different from what the word actually means, I think. If you want to live indefinitely, you're going to rely heavily on luck unless you quite literally build a homestead. Even the North American First Nations peoples had livestock in some form, and had crops to some degree. I think the hunter-gatherer lifestyle requires a world that doesn't exist anymore outside of some incredibly remote corners of the world...and none of them are in North America, in my opinion. The work required to exist indefinitely on such "Long and weary work" requires your full attention, and so I don't think fits into the lifestyle of some who is also supposed to be tirelessly watching and pursuing an enemy lest they reach the simple folk under your care.

I think a fortnight is a realistic (and admirable!) goal to be shooting for. Between the food you start with, the food you're able to forage along the way, and anything you might be able to hunt, lasting two weeks between resupply stops would be downright impressive. Doing so without truly slipping into "survival mode" would show a Ranger's quality; having to fight for one's survival to pull off two weeks would indicate an inability to care for others as well as oneself while in the wilds, and that is what the Rangers were written to be.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Cortharyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm I have also adopted the multiple belts and pouches system. I'm working on the ability to survive in the wild with only my kit. I'm interested to hear how you are set up currently. I have most of my kit together. I just need a smaller tarp. I went too big 10x10. The size would be fine if it didn't way 6.5 pounds. I've tested rucking this kit. Boots and all it's 55lbs. I'm almost there.
Strange enough, I have a small tool kit, med kit, fire kit, chow kit (cup, water, filtration), Navigation (compass and maps), and defense kit. They are all quite small. The real amazing one is the shelter kit. At home I usually sleep in a chair as I find it more comfortable, so I have adopted that when I'm in the wild. My large hooded duster and/or cloaks give me all the shelter I need. I simply need to make a place to sit in a comfy way, and I'm good to go. When I wake up, I am literally ready to go in about 10 seconds. I keep everything on my person except for a pack if I were to go on a longer journey.

On ocassion of course I add other kits such as hygene kit, Communications Here is a better breakdown.

KITs (Modern version)
============
*1. Tool - Multitool
*2. Med - Eyedrops, Bandaids, Tourniquet, Asperin, Lipbalm, Fingernail clippers,
3. Fire - Flint/Steel, Kindling, Pencil sharpener (for small sticks), Lighter
4. Chow - Cup, Canteen (Has built in water filter), Spork, Food, snacks.
5. Navigation - Compass, Maps, pencil and paper (blank water proof business cards), Navigation Beeds
*6. Communications - Cell Phone (Sometimes a two way radio) and signal mirror.
*7. Defense - Knives, Handgun, pepper spray.
8. Shelter - Large full length Blanket Cloak, Duster jacket with Hood (water proof)
9 Hygene - Soap, Cloth, Talc.

* Kits I always carry with me, although sometimes they are scaled down
I also have some specialty kits when I go to a convention such as a "D&D Kit" which contains some D&D characters on plastic cards, my miniture figures and a complete set of dice... just in case.

My clothes are moder (Jeans with Military Boots.

KITS (LARP version) - Not much changed
============
1. Tool - Small Knife and piece of Bone and Leather loops. (Loops usually worn around wrist so I can attach anything to my clothes at any point)
2. Med - Eyedrops, Bandaids, Tourniquet, Asperin, Lipbalm, Fingernail clippers (Lets face it, safety)
3. Fire - Flint/Steel, Kindling
4. Chow - Cup, Canteen (Has built in water filter), Period fork and spoon, Food, spice
5. Navigation - Compass, Old style Map, Navigation Beeds (period themed)
6. Communications - Cell Phone (Also for Safety)
7. Defense - Knives, Spice (to be tossed in eyes) , Short Sword.
8. Shelter - Large full length Blanket Cloak, Hood (water proof), Rauna Cloak

Of course my clothes are period also.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Nice load-out list Tom, thanks for sharing, I find this particularly interesting:

Tom_Ranger wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:35 am At home I usually sleep in a chair as I find it more comfortable, so I have adopted that when I'm in the wild. My large hooded duster and/or cloaks give me all the shelter I need. I simply need to make a place to sit in a comfy way, and I'm good to go.

...because, I wish I could remember where but I read or watched in a video that it was common place for medieval travelers to sleep sat up, partly because it helps with being in a less vulnerable position where it is easier to see your surroundings or draw a weapon in case of bandit attack, and partly because it separates your core from the ground and reduces the loss of heat significantly
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:24 pm ...because, I wish I could remember where but I read or watched in a video that it was common place for medieval travelers to sleep sat up, partly because it helps with being in a less vulnerable position where it is easier to see your surroundings or draw a weapon in case of bandit attack, and partly because it separates your core from the ground and reduces the loss of heat significantly
You should try it at home first. It doesn't have to be a recliner or anything. But something with head/neck support such as a high back desk chair. In the forest I usually sit on a log leaning up against a tree, or I construct a chair with a small bag.

Here is a secret, If it's cold enough, a light cushion in the back of a coat provides cushion as well as keep one dry, and it's attached in the coat.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Everything Greg said.

And +1for sleeping sitting upright. On a canoe trip recently we abandoned our 'comfy' shelter to sit propped against a bank near the fire and were much more comfortable. If you haven't tried it then I recommend it.
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:35 am
Cortharyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:16 pm I have also adopted the multiple belts and pouches system. I'm working on the ability to survive in the wild with only my kit. I'm interested to hear how you are set up currently. I have most of my kit together. I just need a smaller tarp. I went too big 10x10. The size would be fine if it didn't way 6.5 pounds. I've tested rucking this kit. Boots and all it's 55lbs. I'm almost there.
Strange enough, I have a small tool kit, med kit, fire kit, chow kit (cup, water, filtration), Navigation (compass and maps), and defense kit. They are all quite small. The real amazing one is the shelter kit. At home I usually sleep in a chair as I find it more comfortable, so I have adopted that when I'm in the wild. My large hooded duster and/or cloaks give me all the shelter I need. I simply need to make a place to sit in a comfy way, and I'm good to go. When I wake up, I am literally ready to go in about 10 seconds. I keep everything on my person except for a pack if I were to go on a longer journey.

On ocassion of course I add other kits such as hygene kit, Communications Here is a better breakdown.

KITs (Modern version)
============
*1. Tool - Multitool
*2. Med - Eyedrops, Bandaids, Tourniquet, Asperin, Lipbalm, Fingernail clippers,
3. Fire - Flint/Steel, Kindling, Pencil sharpener (for small sticks), Lighter
4. Chow - Cup, Canteen (Has built in water filter), Spork, Food, snacks.
5. Navigation - Compass, Maps, pencil and paper (blank water proof business cards), Navigation Beeds
*6. Communications - Cell Phone (Sometimes a two way radio) and signal mirror.
*7. Defense - Knives, Handgun, pepper spray.
8. Shelter - Large full length Blanket Cloak, Duster jacket with Hood (water proof)

* Kits I always carry with me, although sometimes they are scaled down
I also have some specialty kits when I go to a convention such as a "D&D Kit" which contains some D&D characters on plastic cards, my miniture figures and a complete set of dice... just in case.

My clothes are moder (Jeans with Military Boots.

KITS (LARP version) - Not much changed
============
1. Tool - Small Knife and piece of Bone and Leather loops. (Loops usually worn around wrist so I can attach anything to my clothes at any point)
2. Med - Eyedrops, Bandaids, Tourniquet, Asperin, Lipbalm, Fingernail clippers (Lets face it, safety)
3. Fire - Flint/Steel, Kindling
4. Chow - Cup, Canteen (Has built in water filter), Period fork and spoon, Food, spice
5. Navigation - Compass, Old style Map, Navigation Beeds (period themed)
6. Communications - Cell Phone (Also for Safety)
7. Defense - Knives, Spice (to be tossed in eyes) , Short Sword.
8. Shelter - Large full length Blanket Cloak, Hood (water proof), Rauna Cloak

Of course my clothes are period also.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I only have one kit. I keep everything necessary for survival on my belts. I keep the extra amenities you mentioned (hygiene, a bowl and such in a pack). In the wild I carry the pack until I set camp. Then I can scout with just what's on my belts. When we go to Ren faires I just leave the pack in the truck. What kind of pouches do you use? I have drawstring pouches that are secure and hold much. But they bounce around more than I'd like. So far they are my best option. As the flap type pouches that I have and have had in the past are just not secure.
I am the weapon
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Greg wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:38 pm Yeah, even Strider took time to resupply and lift his spirits with occasional stops at the pony. The world's current idea of 'survival' is quite different from what the word actually means, I think. If you want to live indefinitely, you're going to rely heavily on luck unless you quite literally build a homestead. Even the North American First Nations peoples had livestock in some form, and had crops to some degree. I think the hunter-gatherer lifestyle requires a world that doesn't exist anymore outside of some incredibly remote corners of the world...and none of them are in North America, in my opinion. The work required to exist indefinitely on such "Long and weary work" requires your full attention, and so I don't think fits into the lifestyle of some who is also supposed to be tirelessly watching and pursuing an enemy lest they reach the simple folk under your care.

I think a fortnight is a realistic (and admirable!) goal to be shooting for. Between the food you start with, the food you're able to forage along the way, and anything you might be able to hunt, lasting two weeks between resupply stops would be downright impressive. Doing so without truly slipping into "survival mode" would show a Ranger's quality; having to fight for one's survival to pull off two weeks would indicate an inability to care for others as well as oneself while in the wilds, and that is what the Rangers were written to be.
I say indefinitely for lack of a better word. I would if possible, resupply and visit a place such as the pony when needed. Basically as you said. Plan for the worst and work towards the best is my approach. I'm focusing on gaining as much knowledge and skill as possible. So I will need less gear.

I'm glad I found this forum.
I am the weapon
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 pmI say indefinitely for lack of a better word. I would if possible, resupply and visit a place such as the pony when needed. Basically as you said. Plan for the worst and work towards the best is my approach. I'm focusing on gaining as much knowledge and skill as possible. So I will need less gear.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing where thet takes you. I've been saying this for years: "Should a Ranger [...] practice skills to survive with nothing, or should a Ranger practice the art of preparing so that, in a survival situation, one simply goes on living?" - Edge of the Wild, Summer 2016: On Form and Function
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Greg wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:06 am
Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 pmI say indefinitely for lack of a better word. I would if possible, resupply and visit a place such as the pony when needed. Basically as you said. Plan for the worst and work towards the best is my approach. I'm focusing on gaining as much knowledge and skill as possible. So I will need less gear.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing where thet takes you. I've been saying this for years: "Should a Ranger [...] practice skills to survive with nothing, or should a Ranger practice the art of preparing so that, in a survival situation, one simply goes on living?" - Edge of the Wild, Summer 2016: On Form and Function
Exactly, how can you expect to accomplish a mission when your mission takes a back seat to survival, prepare and know how to survive, but that is a worst case.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit