Dwarven standards of beauty

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Dwarven standards of beauty

Post by caedmon »

So, i don’t get it. Dwarven women are so alike in appearance to the men, that outsiders can’t tell them apart.

It seems fair to assume that dwarves would then have very different standards of beauty than men or elves. So what does Gimli see in Galadriel? Yes, she is conventionally beautiful, but I doubt that’s it.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Dwarven standards of beauty

Post by Eofor »

Maybe. To sheep other sheep no doubt appear different,' laughed Lindir. 'Or to shepherds'
Is it a case of this? I know it's a bit the same with the way elves are portrayed in the movies, they're all rather androgynous.
It could also be a sign that female dwarves dress the same as the males and I suspect a female dwarf going hither and thither under a large pack with a hood on would not immediately be identified as such.

As to Galadriel... There's a few things maybe, just brainstorming.

His friendship with Legolas is just beginning to bloom so he may be open to new ideas of beauty and greatness beyond the scope of most dwarves.

He is at a low point when they meet having just learnt of the death of Balin and of course the loss of Gandalf yet there is no one in the fellowship who understands the rituals and customs of his people.

Then he meets the Lady and she is the only one to welcome him with fair words when no other elf does, not to mention she speaks to him of his own people and customs naming things in the dwarven tongue. Such things would surely have an impact on a heartbroken wanderer isolated far from kith and kin.

I would very much like to know with what she tests him when it is his turn to meet her gaze though.

Are those things enough to reward his devotion? He isn't your typical Dwarf after all and I think when he refers to her beauty it isn't at all about her appearance. (though admittedly I think he uses the term 'fair')
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

He is at a low point when they meet having just learnt of the death of Balin and of course the loss of Gandalf yet there is no one in the fellowship who understands the rituals and customs of his people.

Then he meets the Lady and she is the only one to welcome him with fair words when no other elf does, not to mention she speaks to him of his own people and customs naming things in the dwarven tongue. Such things would surely have an impact on a heartbroken wanderer isolated far from kith and kin.
Oh I like that observation very much! I need to do a re-read there, what a great character moment that becomes with that reading.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I think it might also be a matter of Gimli recognizing in Galadriel the craftsperson that she is, not only is she beautiful in a conventional sense, but her craft is one of beauty as well and Gimli would've recognized her hand in helping to craft and maintain Lothlorien. Also, she's one of the few elves who remain in Middle Earth to have seen the light of both Laurelin and Telperion and that shows in her countenance and appearance.

'The Silmarillion repeatedly states that those Elves who saw the Two Trees were mighty, with the light of Aman in their faces. As vassals of the Valar, the trees somehow bestowed otherworldly power and understanding on those exposed to them. Galadriel in particular had an affinity to Laurelin, as her hair was said to have captured the golden light of that tree. In turn this inspired Fëanor to make the jewels that could hold that same light; the Silmarils.' quoted from the one wiki to rule them all.