Icelandic wool blankets, right from our farm!

For the buying & selling of Ranger Related items.

Moderator: caedmon

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Icelandic wool blankets, right from our farm!

Post by Elleth »

Finally!

After lots of hassles we found a new weaver, and I can offer some blankets made from the wool of our Icelandic sheep herd. Here you can see some the very wool that is in these blankets, still on the sheep -
blankets-sheep.jpg
blankets-sheep.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
And here's how that wool looks as a blanket:
blankets-folded.jpg
blankets-folded.jpg (199.71 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
blankets-weave.jpg
blankets-weave.jpg (200.74 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
blankets-weave-02.jpg
blankets-weave-02.jpg (122.94 KiB) Viewed 5968 times
These sadly aren't hand-woven, but the weave and finish is quite nice It's mostly a lighter grey, a bit mottled with darker grey. I can double-check on that white warp if anyone's picky - it might be from domestic yarn the mill had on hand. I'm sure the grey weft is ours. The entire hem is done in a nice blanket stitch in our grey: square on one corner, slightly rounded on the other three. 

These are NOT deeply fulled - you can clearly see the weave.SO they're not as burr-resistant as trade blankets or real army blankets. Still they'll hold up okay unless you regularly drag them through briars or otherwise abuse them.

Dimensions are approximately 104" x 82", and weight is about 6 lbs (1.62 oz/sq ft). So a bit more than a regular "bed blanket," a bit less than a proper army blanket. (reference)

I'd say one would be great on the bed for most of the year, especially with a coverlet over the top. Since they're wide enough to really roll up in, they're probably fine for outdoors over the warmer months as well, especially if you have a wind layer. For deep winter or outside in the cooler months, you'd probably want another warmth layer.

I have up to three to sell.

$210 each + actual shipping (I expect ~$25 in the US lower 48, I don't know about other regions)
UPDATE: I've learned actual shipping through USPS is $60, which is crazy. I'm looking into UPS for future shipments.

For what it's worth, I'm holding back a smaller leftover "matchcoat" piece (and maybe a whole extra blanket, depending on how many sell), doing a walnut dunk, and trying it/them out this fall. Woo! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Elleth on Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Icelandic wool blankets, right from our farm!

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh man, that’s beautiful. I am sorely sorely tempted. And those dimensions are perfect for me. Hmmm, I need to do a little research on bedrolls to make sure I’m thinking about this right. Are they still considered a proper bit of gear? I seem to recall Greg ditching his. That’s a question for another thread though. I won’t side-track this one.

I also need to look at the budget. Might have to wait for next paycheck with beginning of the month rent coming due.

When you mention the white warp, I assume that it’s still wool though? Just domestic, not Icelandic.

Very very nice Elleth. I am definitely considering this. Hope others do as well.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Just heard back from the weaver:
The weft in each blanket is 100% your wool. The warp is ours and still 100% wool. Our tweed warps are always 100% natural white.
I believe Greg ditched his bedroll, but kept his blanket - worn horseshoe style last I read. Now Aragorn had just his cloak, but I know as any of us are stout as he. I'm sure not. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, if you decide you want one I'm happy to hold one back / talk layaway / talk trades.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Hah, would that we could all be as doughty as Aragorn. Considering I live in Texas and still only do this in the fall/winter, a simple blanket sounds just right to me.

Thank you for the clarification as well! I wasn’t overly concerned, more just curious.

I appreciate the offer! I’ll check funds tonight and get back to you sharpish.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Absolutely, I'm in. PM'img.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

those look amazing Elleth, nicely done :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I’d be in, but won’t have disposable money for the foreseeable future. Put me at the back of the line?
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Alright, looks good on my end. Count me in for one. Sending you a PM. Thanks!
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice, Elleth!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Well, my blanket arrived last Friday folks and I couldn't be happier. As with everything Elleth does, her attention to detail and love of the craft shines through. This is one heck of a blanket and I can't wait to take it on the trail. I can definitely recommend snagging one if you can.
Attachments
EllethBlanket1.jpg
EllethBlanket1.jpg (239.84 KiB) Viewed 5186 times