Rugged Silk?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Rugged Silk?

Post by Yavion »

What would you say the most rugged, work-clothes-ready type of silk would be?

I know that the Japanese used a combination of silks, linen/ramie, and hemp for their work clothes in the pre-industrial era, but my search skills appear to be weak.

Thoughts? If you were to make an outer tunic and trousers for outdoor activities what type of silk would you use?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Rugged Silk?

Post by Iodo »

I'm no expert, but I know there is historic evidence that vikings used silk in tunics, I guess that would have been something called raw silk, or Silk noil, but I think those are different but I'm not sure what the difference is?

I've never tried it so I don't know how it would preform but I think it's meant to be good. I do actually have a piece of fabric that someone at a reenactment event sold me for not much money, they claimed it was raw silk, it feels a lot like linen but it's sort of stickier, it's hard to explain, I never used it tho

I'm sure I have seen mention of silk somewhere on this forum, maybe someone else here might know more?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I've done a couple tunics from raw silk, as well as regular clothes. Also I think our Star Wars contingent uses it for (at least) Jedi robes.

Even though I don't think I can justify it for Dunedain use, I absolutely love it as a material, and far prefer it to the regular sheeny stuff we're accustomed to thinking of as silk. As Iodo says, it has a sort of nubbly linen-y texture, but it's softer, has a lovely "tea" scent when new, and (unless it's my mind playing with me) has a sort of "cool in the summer, warm in the winter" aspect.

BUT.

It's only middling-garment weight. I wouldn't use it for more than an underlayer/shirt layer in a heavy working outfit.

It's possible raw silk is woven into heavier fabrics as well: I've just never seen it. If you're in an urban area, It might be worth taking a swatch of the lighter stuff to a Chinese or Indian garment shop and asking if they know of heavier weaves.

edit: Mood Fabrics (https://www.moodfabrics.com/) is deeply plugged into the big-city garment scene and has carried some absolutely luxurious silks. They might find your request unusual, but I've found their staff extremely helpful and if anyone knows where to find what you're looking for - or if it even exists and what it's called - it's likely they do.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thanks a lot for the input Elleth, I didn't really know enough about it to comment

Elleth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:45 am Even though I don't think I can justify it for Dunedain use, I absolutely love it as a material, and far prefer it to the regular sheeny stuff we're accustomed to thinking of as silk. As Iodo says, it has a sort of nubbly linen-y texture, but it's softer, has a lovely "tea" scent when new, and (unless it's my mind playing with me) has a sort of "cool in the summer, warm in the winter" aspect.

your right, my piece does have a "tea" scent, I guess it must be silk, cool :P sadly I don't think it's big enough to make a tunic, I think it was just an off-cut from someone's project, and as you say it is only mid layer weight at the most, if I can find it I'll post a picture later
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

While I generally agree that silk is usually not appropriate for a northern Dúnedain, I have been considering it for one specific garment. I was thinking it might work well as a bandana/scarf/head wrap/mask kinda thing. I remember a conversation about raw silk from elsewhere on the forum that I can’t seem to find now that first sparked my interest. It will be good to get more discussion on it in the thread!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

At risk of giving away future work... these are absolutely amazing scarves:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/151883129/ ... mens-scarf

linen, but of a nice loose weave that makes a *perfect* bug barrier in addition to being a very comfy general-use kerchief. Mine is one of my very very favorite foresty things, both "in period" and out. :mrgreen:

For what it's worth, as a general woodland scarf I'd far prefer it to raw silk. For Ithilien-ranger style face covers I have no opinion: these might be a bit bulky for that.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Thanks for the replies. :)

I do know that 4-ply silk is heavier due to the threads being 4 regular ones twisted into an extra thick one. So 4-ply is heavier. I've also found 40mm silk. MM being the measurement of weight the way that many linens are measured in ounces. I just wasn't sure if the more experience here had come across anything specific that could be looked up.

Elleth, I'll definitely look into reaching out to Mood. I'll "make it work" XD
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I've worn a silk shirt as a base layer under my canvas arming coat and brigandine, its cooler (or at least more pleasant) then a linen shirt of the same cut and roughly the same weight.
The same Character* had a split veil made of the same fabric which was also much nicer to wear while fighting on stupidly hot days then the same weight linen....... Horrible in the rain though, auto-waterboarding is nothing you want to do.

*It was a LARP, he had extensive facial burn scars in his back story........ Started out as a mercenary siege engineer and ended up as a priest running a small country
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Elleth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:48 pm At risk of giving away future work... these are absolutely amazing scarves:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/151883129/ ... mens-scarf

linen, but of a nice loose weave that makes a *perfect* bug barrier in addition to being a very comfy general-use kerchief. Mine is one of my very very favorite foresty things, both "in period" and out. :mrgreen:

For what it's worth, as a general woodland scarf I'd far prefer it to raw silk. For Ithilien-ranger style face covers I have no opinion: these might be a bit bulky for that.
Good to know! I was waffling between the two materials and it's always good to hear opinions from those who have used it in the field. I think I would probably do a smaller bandana type of thing like what Iodo wears instead of a full scarf though.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain