17th C Highland Expedition Equipment

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

17th C Highland Expedition Equipment

Post by Yavion »

I have been following Fandabi Dozi on and off for a while and he's always got a good take on things. While this is focused on Scottish Drovers I still think it applies to what we're up to as well. Some of his simple kit bits are really things that even the most scout-inclined ranger may forget. I've been wanting to take a longer hike now that the weather is shifting, and this gives me some fun ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwmonW6OhOc

I would have placed it in "Kit" but it has soft, hard, and weapons kit items in it so I was unsure which is most appropriate.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Re: 17th C Highland Expedition Equipment

Post by Desert Loon »

Yay, another Fandabi Dozi fan! I've also drawn a lot of inspiration from him - I even got a great plaid that I've worn on one hike so far. It's about time to take it out again on another excursion.

While the particulars of how his kit all fits together might be specific to the 17th century, much of the individual pieces of equipment show continuity way back probably to the Iron Age. He's definitely one to keep an eye on.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I too am subscribed to his channel, his content is very similar in a lot of ways to what we do here, just applied to a different topic, he uses trial and error to find ways people might have done things through testing, and it's very interesting to see
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I am so waiting for a video on that pack he made. It hangs in an interesting fashion, but I don't recall seeing shots in good enough light to see exactly how he made it. For a bit I was even wondering if he just used the legs for the upper part of the straps.

Also I'm just enthralled by those bog-tanned leather bags. Very cool! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Elleth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:55 am I am so waiting for a video on that pack he made. It hangs in an interesting fashion, but I don't recall seeing shots in good enough light to see exactly how he made it. For a bit I was even wondering if he just used the legs for the upper part of the straps.

I think the bag's creation is in a soon to come video. I do know he goes over the bog-tanning process in another one. I was looking up the chemical makeup of a bog as I'm curious if it could be mimicked, though I suspect regular veg/oak tanning would be more practical outside of the British Isles.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

What a great video!
Frodo lives!
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Desert Loon wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:47 am Yay, another Fandabi Dozi fan! I've also drawn a lot of inspiration from him - I even got a great plaid that I've worn on one hike so far. It's about time to take it out again on another excursion.
Yeah, he's great. He puts a lot of energy into it and I've adjusted a lot of my kits based on whe he has done.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It's guys like this that make me wish I had the time and patience to watch YouTube videos.

I'm glad that he seems to have a decent following too, the social media side of stuff breaks the immersion and takes so much time - at least he's seeing the reward.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 am ... the social media side of stuff breaks the immersion and takes so much time - at least he's seeing the reward.
Hmmm, yeah, I agree about that, when I first started watching his channel there was none of that, just pure and simple highland adventures, how it should be, but I can't complain too much because he's managed to turn his hobby into a job which is more than I will probably ever manage
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Charlotte
Dúnadan

Post by Charlotte »

Yavion wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm
Elleth wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:55 am I am so waiting for a video on that pack he made. It hangs in an interesting fashion, but I don't recall seeing shots in good enough light to see exactly how he made it. For a bit I was even wondering if he just used the legs for the upper part of the straps.

I think the bag's creation is in a soon to come video. I do know he goes over the bog-tanning process in another one. I was looking up the chemical makeup of a bog as I'm curious if it could be mimicked, though I suspect regular veg/oak tanning would be more practical outside of the British Isles.
I am fully planning on seeing how well it works in muskeg
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very curious to hear how that goes!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.