New Ranger from Texas

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Desolaturtle

New Ranger from Texas

Post by Desolaturtle »

Hello everyone!
I'm Matthew, I'm currently living in East Texas, and I'm originally from Utah. A little bit about me: I'm married with no kids, and I work as an EMT for a private ambulance service. I love anything outdoors, RPGs, learning, crafting, archery, etc. (Probably the same interests as everyone else here.)

From the looks of it I'm probably on the younger side of everyone here. (22 y/o) I first read LotR when I was 12, and I've been in love with Middle Earth ever since. (Technically I watched the movies first, but that's not as poetic.)

I'm just getting started on a ranger kit, probably more Ithilien ranger style. Anyways, looks like you have a great thing going here, and I'm excited to get involved.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: New Ranger from Texas

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govannen. I'm also from Texas, currently in the northeast part of the state. Welcome to the forum!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome Ranger!
Yavion
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Yavion »

I'm nearly twice your age and I saw the movies first too, so no judgment here!

Welcome to the forum!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to the forums Matt.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome!

A Ranger from the low country with strange name "East Texas". Pleasant journey to you and I hope one day our paths may cross so we can exchange stories.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Welcome Ranger!
Frodo lives!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

welcome Matthew!

East Texas is the hot-and-green part, right?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Cimrandir wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:52 pm Mae govannen. I'm also from Texas, currently in the northeast part of the state. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Yeah, looks like we have a good few around Texas, even if we're still a good 4+ hours drive away. lol
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:04 am Welcome!

A Ranger from the low country with strange name "East Texas". Pleasant journey to you and I hope one day our paths may cross so we can exchange stories.
Indeed, it's different enough from the rest of Texas that we feel the need to differentiate it from the rest. I've noticed many people will say they're from the Misty Mountains, Eriador, etc. Is that linked to a Middle Earth - Earth map, or does everyone just decide where they're from. Also, would that make me more South Gondor, or what?
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Elleth wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:41 pm welcome Matthew!

East Texas is the hot-and-green part, right?
Thank you! Yep, it is amazingly green here, especially if you compare it to the scrubby desert of Utah. I'm still struggling with the humidity, and it's kinda bizarre not to see any mountains in the backdrop, but I love it here.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Desolaturtle wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pmI've noticed many people will say they're from the Misty Mountains, Eriador, etc. Is that linked to a Middle Earth - Earth map, or does everyone just decide where they're from. Also, would that make me more South Gondor, or what?
Welcome. Generally when specifying a Middle-earth location, it's based on either what part of Middle-earth your actual location most closely resembles (for example, Manveruon ranges in Colorado's Front Range, thus Misty Mountains), or hypothetically where in Middle-earth your persona/impression is based....ideally, they would go together. I live near the Ohio, so I ground my impressions around that and thus all are sited on a Middle-earth river (Brandywine, Anduin, Gwathlo).
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Erfaron
Dúnadan

Post by Erfaron »

Welcome! I currently reside in south ithilien, which is similar to florida in the common tongue, this Texas sounds similar in climate so if I’d love to compare how to stay cool out in the wilds
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Udwin wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:48 pm
Welcome. Generally when specifying a Middle-earth location, it's based on either what part of Middle-earth your actual location most closely resembles (for example, Manveruon ranges in Colorado's Front Range, thus Misty Mountains), or hypothetically where in Middle-earth your persona/impression is based....ideally, they would go together. I live near the Ohio, so I ground my impressions around that and thus all are sited on a Middle-earth river (Brandywine, Anduin, Gwathlo).
That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind as I design my persona.
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Erfaron wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:30 pm Welcome! I currently reside in south ithilien, which is similar to florida in the common tongue, this Texas sounds similar in climate so if I’d love to compare how to stay cool out in the wilds
Thank you! It's a pleasure to meet you. That would be fantastic, that is my current project actually, I am trying to research and experiment to find the best way to design my kit for comfort in this climate, and I would enjoy brainstorming and sharing research with you.