New Ranger from Texas

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New Ranger from Texas

Post by Iodo »

Welcome ranger :P

I too watched the movies first, so no worries :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Howdy Matt
I'm in Texas too and pleasantly surprised to find out there are more than a few of us "Texas Rangers" here lol
Have you been out to Big Thicket yet?
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, I’ve done plenty of field-work in the Big Thicket. Not too interested in returning in Ranger garb haha.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Desolaturtle

Post by Desolaturtle »

Jack wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:56 pm Howdy Matt
I'm in Texas too and pleasantly surprised to find out there are more than a few of us "Texas Rangers" here lol
Have you been out to Big Thicket yet?
Nope, that's a good 2 hours south of where I'm at, and I haven't done too much exploring outside of my little village yet.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cimrandir wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:52 pm Oh, I’ve done plenty of field-work in the Big Thicket. Not too interested in returning in Ranger garb haha.
Lol I think I know exactly what you mean Cimrandir if you're talking about rangering during warm months (aka all of them except for a couple weeks in December or January)
Mind if I ask which units you've frequented? I have a follow up question if you've been to Lance Rosier, Big Sandy, or Turkey Creek
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Howdy! I am also from east(ish) Texas - you might be able to guess where from my chosen greeting. I and several other of the Texas located rangers have been looking into what gear is necessary in the climate, so I am definitely interested in collaboration. Once the semester ends I intend to start a thread on the subject, with my current observations and any future tests. One of these days I hope we can get a Texas moot set up as well, preferably in the early spring lol.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Turgolanas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm Howdy! I am also from east(ish) Texas - you might be able to guess where from my chosen greeting. I and several other of the Texas located rangers have been looking into what gear is necessary in the climate, so I am definitely interested in collaboration. Once the semester ends I intend to start a thread on the subject, with my current observations and any future tests. One of these days I hope we can get a Texas moot set up as well, preferably in the early spring lol.
Howdy Turgolanas, I look forward to both that thread and any potential Texas gatherings in the future
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Jack wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:19 pm Mind if I ask which units you've frequented? I have a follow up question if you've been to Lance Rosier, Big Sandy, or Turkey Creek
Well, it wasn't in the preserve itself but I've done some shovel test surveys in Walker, San Jacinto and Liberty counties. According to the map we were given, the Big Thicket extends throughout those counties.

Turgolanas wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 pm Howdy! I am also from east(ish) Texas - you might be able to guess where from my chosen greeting. I and several other of the Texas located rangers have been looking into what gear is necessary in the climate, so I am definitely interested in collaboration. Once the semester ends I intend to start a thread on the subject, with my current observations and any future tests. One of these days I hope we can get a Texas moot set up as well, preferably in the early spring lol.
I would be down to get a Moot together. My tiny not-very-active Texan ranger group has been wanting to get something together for a while now so maybe this would work for all parties.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:19 pm
Well, it wasn't in the preserve itself but I've done some shovel test surveys in Walker, San Jacinto and Liberty counties. According to the map we were given, the Big Thicket extends throughout those counties.
Ah i see, my mistake. I forget the original area dubbed "Big Thicket" does in fact extend well beyond the borders of the preserve