"Unpacked" Video Series

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: "Unpacked" Video Series

Post by Iodo »

Awesome :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very well done!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 amI really like the format, no talk, no cheesy 'insert random medieval tune"
My reaction exactly. Somehow very appropriate to Tolkien's style I think.

Well done on the video! Looking forward to the next!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Eofor wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 am I really like the format, no talk, no cheesy 'insert random medieval tune'
Does the cattail mat do much to break ground contact? Or does the chill still seep through?
It's surprisingly effective (and lightweight!). The leaves have fluffy 'plant insulation' stuff inside them and the outer covering is waterproof, and I usually sleep with a layer of blanket between me and the mat, so I tend to lose more heat to the air above me than the ground beneath me.
This mat is starting to show its age (almost 8 years old) but it's still got a few treks left in it!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Also meant to say that I'm glad to see someone else carries a pair of "camp shoes". It's a good idea to get out of your hiking shoes after a long day. Looking at making a pair of pampooties myself soon. Need to find some hair-on rawhide first though.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Cimrandir wrote:Also meant to say that I'm glad to see someone else carries a pair of "camp shoes". It's a good idea to get out of your hiking shoes after a long day.
Heh, you're not wrong...I learned last year that having something to change into after trail time is realll nice. However, mine aren't 'spares'...just that I normally do most of my trekking barefoot, and keep these in my pack just in case!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Please enjoy our next installment, as we dig into a common Breelander's day pack, from everyone's favorite forum host, Caedmon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_80gpvjbgE
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Greg wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:29 pm Please enjoy our next installment, as we dig into a common Breelander's day pack, from everyone's favorite forum host, Caedmon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_80gpvjbgE
That has to be the most authentic kit I've ever seen. Well done.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:07 am

Wow, thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I have had more than a little imposter syndrome making this video.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

caedmon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 am
Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:07 am

Wow, thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it. I have had more than a little imposter syndrome making this video.
I like the yoke pole/walking staff..... So many ideas to steal....... errm......Collect
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:48 pm
I like the yoke pole/walking staff..... So many ideas to steal....... errm......Collect
No theft necessary, it's not my idea. It is a standard feature of the medieval pilgrim staff. Also where I got the idea for carrying my cauldron.
stjames.jpg
stjames.jpg (50.04 KiB) Viewed 17447 times
Melchior_Broederlam_altar.jpg
Melchior_Broederlam_altar.jpg (68.23 KiB) Viewed 17447 times
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very nice!

I especially liked the glassware - a nice callback to the glass windows of Bree. :mrgreen:

Also... wait. When/where is that picture of St. John from? The gourd water bottle is interesting! I'd always binned those as New-World-possibly-by-way-of-Africa but never looked closely into their history. Neat to see them so early in a western context!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:39 am Very nice!

I especially liked the glassware - a nice callback to the glass windows of Bree. :mrgreen:

Also... wait. When/where is that picture of St. John from? The gourd water bottle is interesting! I'd always binned those as New-World-possibly-by-way-of-Africa but never looked closely into their history. Neat to see them so early in a western context!
It's most likely not a gourd, but a pilgrim flask. a round or pear-shaped bottle with that matching cup along with the staff & the hat was standard pilrgimage equipment. Here is a 19th c. example
-Jack Horner

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

We talked about it a little over on the other platform but just poppin' in here to say again - Well done on the video! Excellently done because I can definitely see a man of Bree carrying exactly that on a little jaunt down the Greenway.
caedmon wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:44 am
Boy, do I feel that. I'm working on both Middle-earth and real-world reenactment and lemme tell you it can be very awkward (at least for me) to be asking questions of those far more knowledgeable than I knowing that I don't intend to use it for more than a "fantasy" kit. Entirely within my own head of course but all the same. You're definitely not alone in that.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Another excellent video in the series, Having a few of them now is great to compare how you have arrived at different ways of doing the same thing.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.