Type of Leather

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Type of Leather

Post by Rangerofthesea »

Greetings all,
I am trying to decide which type of leather to choose for my coat. My current coat has lasted me about 20 years and been through a lot, it was made with goatskin. It has been stitched up many times and would tear quite easily when moving through the woods, though I didn't mind so much as it added to the jackets character.

I have been looking at a more expensive cowhide leather coat that, from what I have read online, is a bit more durable and weather resistant. Does anyone have any experience with cowhide coats? Is the difference between that and goatskin worth the extra cost?
jasonofthehill
Wayfarer

Re: Type of Leather

Post by jasonofthehill »

Don't have any experience with coats, but I do work with leather. Cowhide should be tougher and generally thicker as long as you are going with full grain and not suede. I've not used goat skin before, but it's usually advertised as for it's softer more delicate texture. If by weather resistance you are talking about the rain, you might want to try treating it with mink oil. Make sure to test it on a spot out of sight first, because it probably will darken the color a bit (gonna just have to decide if you like the color it changes to), and make sure to only use it on the outside if it gets on your clothes it could stain. The mink oil will only help for so long if you're stuck in a downpour, and is no help if it gets submerged.
Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Post by Rangerofthesea »

jasonofthehill wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:51 pm Don't have any experience with coats, but I do work with leather. Cowhide should be tougher and generally thicker as long as you are going with full grain and not suede. I've not used goat skin before, but it's usually advertised as for it's softer more delicate texture. If by weather resistance you are talking about the rain, you might want to try treating it with mink oil. Make sure to test it on a spot out of sight first, because it probably will darken the color a bit (gonna just have to decide if you like the color it changes to), and make sure to only use it on the outside if it gets on your clothes it could stain. The mink oil will only help for so long if you're stuck in a downpour, and is no help if it gets submerged.
Thank you, thats been really helpful. I had not considered mink oil, I was looking at something like beeswax to make it water resistant, given me something else to think about now. It's mainly rain and wind I want to protect myself from so will opt for the cowhide.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Have you any access to deer leather? In my opinion it's the ideal blend of suppleness and strength.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

the absolute ultimate choice for a coat is brain-tan leather, because of it's breathabitity, if you can get some
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

I'll second deer hide /brain tan if this is a DIY project.
Hard to beat real buckskin in this specific application if you're going the DIY route.
I specify DIY because most if not all buckskin you buy commercially is most likely going to be chrome tanned leather that is "buckskin colored" and not brain tanned/smoked deer hide.

All that aside there is a drastic difference in durability between goat and cattle hides and I'd definitely go with the latter if those were my only choices. Hope that helps you make a decision. Best of luck.
Last edited by Jack on Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Late to the party and only parroting what others have said but yes, brain-tan is the way to go. Greg made his jerkin from brain-tan and it looks wonderful and according to his field reports, it functions like a beast too.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cimrandir wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:37 pm Late to the party and only parroting what others have said but yes, brain-tan is the way to go. Greg made his jerkin from brain-tan and it looks wonderful and according to his field reports, it functions like a beast too.
True dat.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I would think it would depend somewhat on application, yes?

It's my understanding that while braintan is outstanding against the various scratches and abuses of the train (and weathers exceptionally well, and breathes like nothing else)... it's so-so for wind resistance and not very water resistant, yes?

Thus, I'd think for general woods tromping a nice lined braintan outer layer would be fantastic - for wet island winds perhaps a solid cattleskin is still in the running?

For what it's worth I've played a bit with braintan leggings, but never a proper jerkin. I do quite like it, and would love love LOVE to make a proper woodsy jerkin someday - but I still think it's wise to be aware of its limitations.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.