Cloaks: to wax or not to wax

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Togon
Dúnadan

Cloaks: to wax or not to wax

Post by Togon »

I know every good ranger needs a cloak for not only the elements but also for concealing. I've been thinking of waxing my canvas cloak in case of rain, but I figured it would make the cloak unable to breath in the southern California (my southern Gondor) heat. It already doesn't rain very much here. I was wondering if it would even be worth it to wax my cloak. I also figured I could pair my waxed canvas summer cloak with my wool winter cloak for like a mini bedroll. I was a really big fan of the poncho/liner combo in the military and i really want to replicate it, im just concerned about overheating on summer treks.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Cloaks: to wax or not to wax

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Togon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 pm I've been thinking of waxing my canvas cloak in case of rain, but I figured it would make the cloak unable to breath in the southern California (my southern Gondor) heat.
Just because you wax it doesn't mean you have to always wear it. Keep it rolled up until required
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Good point. Got a little hung up on wearing it for "the look."
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

I think we're all at least a little guilty of that.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Togon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 pm I know every good ranger needs a cloak for not only the elements but also for concealing. I've been thinking of waxing my canvas cloak in case of rain, but I figured it would make the cloak unable to breath in the southern California (my southern Gondor) heat. It already doesn't rain very much here. I was wondering if it would even be worth it to wax my cloak. I also figured I could pair my waxed canvas summer cloak with my wool winter cloak for like a mini bedroll. I was a really big fan of the poncho/liner combo in the military and i really want to replicate it, im just concerned about overheating on summer treks.
I intend to wax a linen cloak. So it will be lighter than canvas and still protect from rain.
I am the weapon
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Togon wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 pm I figured it would make the cloak unable to breath in the southern California (my southern Gondor) heat. It already doesn't rain very much here.
Living somewhere with similar heat and conditions I think it would make the cloak close to unusable.

Have you taken the cloak out for a run yet? I would give it a go in both hot and cold and see if it needs it first.
I wouldn't make it uncomfortable for 95% of the time so that it's more comfortable for the 5%.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I was born and raised in Southern California, and there were few days out of the year when I could bear to wear a cloak even ten years ago when rain was much more common there than it is now.

I almost think a Ranger in your climate would welcome a rain, and not bother themselves with worrying about getting wet too much, but rather focus on keeping critical gear waterproofed (ie. oiling sword blades, etc. I definitely wouldn't wax a canvas cloak for shelter, though. I found a number of years ago when trying to make a cloak multitask as a shelter tarp that even waterproofed fabrics absorb some water, and I woke up more than once after a downpour with a wet cloak that I couldn't wear which was quite difficult to carry. You do you, of course, but I personally highly recommend not making shelter materials into garments for this time period; there isn't anything that works quite the same as modern rainwear in the tech of the time.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Thank you, everyone! Lots of good information and things to think about. I think I'll follow Greg's advice and not wax the cloak. I guess we all go through a phase of trying to get things to multitask!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I've definitely been there. A few things can multitask, like a camp knife working as a weapon, but we think SO HARD about multitools in this day and age that we forget that often the best tool is the one made for the job. Keep at it!

May I ask where in So Cal you are, roughly? I'm from Glendora, originally.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

I hear you! A lot of modern equipment seems made for multitasking; definately a learning curve doing things Middle Earth style, but it is fun to learn how things were done. Makes me feel a bit like a pioneer.

I'm in Glendale. I normally go out into the foothills, but recently I've been venturing out into the Los Angeles Forest. We moved here not long ago. Much better than the city we left!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I'm a little late to the party but I made a video talking about exactly this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXIol9wjEo and I think you have made the right decision
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:36 am I'm a little late to the party but I made a video talking about exactly this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KXIol9wjEo and I think you have made the right decision
Hey! I watch your videos! But I missed that one. Good points. Glad I didn't make a mistake with this one.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.