Anyone know of "Jubilee Tower" of Darwen?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Anyone know of "Jubilee Tower" of Darwen?

Post by Elleth »

... I just saw this link and my first thought was "... well that looks familiar."
jubilee-tower-01.jpg
jubilee-tower-01.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
jubilee-tower-02.jpg
jubilee-tower-02.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 4803 times
https://thefollyflaneuse.com/darwen-tow ... ancashire/

I don't suppose anyone who's been through the Professor's letters or the like has seen an indication he saw this tower back in the day? It sure puts me in mind of Amon Sul.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Re: Anyone know of "Jubilee Tower" of Darwen?

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Darwin is in....Australia? Are there a lot of older European style towers like that there?
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm Darwin is in....Australia? Are there a lot of older European style towers like that there?
The octagonal Jubilee Tower (officially called Darwen Tower) at grid reference SD678215 on Darwen Hill overlooking the town of Darwen in Lancashire, England, was completed in 1898 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee and also to celebrate the victory of the local people for the right to access the moor. It was opened to the public on 24 September 1898.
Jubilee Tower

Can't say I've ever heard of it before nor do I remember any reference to it in any of my reading on Tolkien's influences and inspirations but that doesn't say much really. Very cool stuff! I could definitely see it broken down as an old watchtower on Amon Sûl.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hrmm... looking at maps, Darwen Tower is a little north and west of Manchester - very close to the sites on the "Tolkien Walking Trail" here -

https://www.visitlancashire.com/things- ... en-p583810

Now I'm especially curious to hear from anyone who actually knows the UK. Iodo, have you ever been over that way?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Amon Sul, for sure! An inspiration? Who knows...but that looks right to me! Beautiful!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Elleth wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:14 pm Now I'm especially curious to hear from anyone who actually knows the UK. Iodo, have you ever been over that way?

No, I can't say I have, it certainly looks very cool though, worth a visit me thinks :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_Tower

it is what we over here would call a "folly", something just built to look impressive and attract tourists, usually by a wealthy land owner or such. They are not un-common in the UK countryside and I have visited quite a few other's, this one is one of my favourites:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon%2 ... le,_Buxton
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Makes me think of the old watchtower on Ravenhill outside of Erebor!

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

BrianGrubbs wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:58 pm Makes me think of the old watchtower on Ravenhill outside of Erebor!

Brian
Same here :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:48 pm Darwin is in....Australia? Are there a lot of older European style towers like that there?
Only things in Darwin are mosquitoes, crocs and sweat.
Iodo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:01 pm it is what we over here would call a "folly", something just built to look impressive
Thank you so much for this, I had no idea that was the name for such things but it's perfect. Could very well be used to describe Eofor, all bread with no butter!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:59 pm
Iodo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:01 pm it is what we over here would call a "folly", something just built to look impressive
Thank you so much for this, I had no idea that was the name for such things but it's perfect. Could very well be used to describe Eofor, all bread with no butter!

LOL, no problem :P