Ahoy!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Re: Ahoy!

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

ChoseyChas wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:17 pm I'm still shopping around for a cloak and hood, I'm fairly sure I want a separate combo of them instead of them on one garment. I'm eyeing around for a nice plain belt knife for bushcraft, deciding maybe between a seax and a puuka, and also a bow for sure. I'm also still wanting to craft more things, I have a couple of flat, top opening, belt pouches, I'm wanting to make thicker ones to hold more, a snapsack, bedroll, the actual camping/trekking gear.
Very nice. To my mind, the focus on the hard trekking kit is one of the core tenets that separates our hobby from run of the mill cosplay (though there's nothing wrong with that.) Good to hear that's what you're thinking about. I'm still working on that part myself. Good call on the separate hood/cloak combo. The arrival of Thorin and Company to Bag End definitely leads credence to the idea that the Professor had this style in mind.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

The focus on actual usage is what interests me by far the most here too. Its very nice to around a group that cares about and enjoys the writing, but the change to practical usage as if in the texts is so imaginatively interesting that I couldn't describe the feelings if I tried. I've a history in tabletops and whatnot with my friends of largely playing Mannish martial classes, largely due to the Tolkienian Man lore drawing me in so fervently, and getting to create a version of Myself within that was an intoxicating idea, I just hope I don't shame the others on the board as I learn and go. 8) :mrgreen:
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Now that I've had a bit more time, I've updated my suspension system with a belt slider and hook from Tod Cutler, cut my own straps and mounted everything to the scabbard.
Attachments
20220811_110449.jpg
20220811_110449.jpg (14.29 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
Snapchat-1692749447.jpg
Snapchat-1692749447.jpg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
Faragon

Post by Faragon »

Welcome and nice kit!
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you, and a warm welcome to you as well, Ranger!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

With so many newcomers to the forums lately I just thought it may be a useful tool to get you all a handful of links which may help you with your aspirations in the hobby.

To begin with let me draw inspiration from Greg in the ‘Please read before posting’ thread at the top of the forum
We do not 'dress up' solely to dress up...we are after the heart of Middle-earth, and making it feel as real as possible. Because of this, you will find sparse cosplay and LARP discussion here. We do not discourage these activities, but understand that things that hinder sharp swords and hunting live quarry often do not receive the same attention as live fires in the backcountry.
This is the difference between this forum and other outlets for the hobby, if you’re here it’s because you want to LIVE Middle Earth or see those who do. To that end, as much as I encourage you to get out there and start in whatever kit you have, I’d really love to see that kit evolve into the one you dream of and hopefully these tools will help you on that path.

To begin, let me link to the home site of the Middle Earth Reenactment Society, a High Authenticity Organisation dedicated to the furthering of J.R.R. Tolkien cultural studies, within the framework of ‘historical’ reenactment.
They publish a quarterly newsletter (the back issues of which are all available on the site) containing all sorts of things such as researched articles, gear guides, advice on persona development and patterns and recipes.
It is an invaluable resource - https://edgeofthewild.org/

Secondly here is a link to a sticky thread in the getting started subforum written by Udwin outlining a logical progression within the hobby. One key part of this is persona development which I’ll elaborate on below.
https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... =36&t=3427

So lastly here is Udwin’s thread in which he gives a persona creation worksheet which is an essential tool in figuring out exactly who and what you’re trying to portray in Middle Earth.
Where do you live? How old are you? What are your goals and motivations? All questions you should have an answer to early on as they will help to shape your decisions in building your kit.
Developing a persona will also help expand your research skills as you check dates against major events and try to find locations on maps that match your geographical location and clothing choices. It expands your knowledge and appreciation of Tolkien's work and draws you deeper into his world.

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=3529

And here is a great example of this persona building in action

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=4432

I really hope these links are of some use to you, if ever you need advice then my door and those of your fellow rangers are always open.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

Thank you so much, Eofor! The area's of creating my persona and supplanting him into the world correctly/believably is certainly one of my bigger fears in getting into this hobby.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:41 amAnd here is a great example of this persona building in action

https://www.middleearthrangers.org/foru ... f=7&t=4432

Aww, I'm touched. Now I feel the need to write up the changes I'm made since then haha. Nothing too elaborate. In fact the opposite. Streamlined you might say.

ChoseyChas wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:26 pm Thank you so much, Eofor! The area's of creating my persona and supplanting him into the world correctly/believably is certainly one of my bigger fears in getting into this hobby.

Ahh, be not afraid! We won't judge! I also like to think that this community's willingness to help each is one of it's strongest points. What are you thinking at the moment? What can we do to help you develop who you are? We can be pretty good at giving feedback. :mrgreen:
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

I'm not too sure, but I know I want it to practically overlap with my real world location, so that I can actually be out in my kit. I know for sure that I want my persona to be a Man, in an area similar to the PNW, I need to research a bit more to see what Middle-Earth area overlaps with that. Beyond that, I need to really pull up my trousers and dive in. I've been looking at the Townsends site for personal building, I've just got to delve into it more.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Hmm, from my experience, the Pacific Northwest has some pretty varied terrain and most of that terrain could double for many parts of Middle-earth. Sounds like you're open to more than just Dúnedain? That will definitely give you a much wider selection to choose from!
ChoseyChas
Wanderer

Post by ChoseyChas »

I am open to more, I don't think I'd want want to limit myself to strictly the grouping/cultural elements of the Dunedain, or specifically BELONGING to any group, instead taking companionship and grouping with other Rangers met in passing.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Cimrandir wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:49 pm Aww, I'm touched. Now I feel the need to write up the changes I'm made since then haha. Nothing too elaborate. In fact the opposite. Streamlined you might say.
You totally should, my own persona is constantly being added to, refined and adjusted (an exercise like our group story really tests how watertight your dates are!) and it would be good for newcomers to see that though process and evolution in action.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

ChoseyChas wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:12 pm I'm not too sure, but I know I want it to practically overlap with my real world location, so that I can actually be out in my kit. I know for sure that I want my persona to be a Man, in an area similar to the PNW, I need to research a bit more to see what Middle-Earth area overlaps with that. Beyond that, I need to really pull up my trousers and dive in. I've been looking at the Townsends site for personal building, I've just got to delve into it more.
If you've already given it that much thought then you're on the right path. Remember that it's not set in stone and that details will shuffle and adjust as you progress.

Firstly figure out what your goals are in relation to the big events in Middle Earth and the dates can be set around that. For example if you are living in the third age are you alive at the time of the war of the ring? Are you a youngster whose father dies at the Morannon and you decide to serve Gondor in his stead? Perhaps you are in the army of Dale and are besieged in the mountain?
Or perhaps you're from an earlier period? a man of lake town after it's destruction by Smaug, taking up service as a guard of the many new trade barges traveling between Lake town and Dale.

Tolkien's works go far beyond the great deeds of the fellowship and of all the men in Middle Earth the rangers are but a few.