Battle ready vs sport combat

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Erfaron
Dúnadan

Battle ready vs sport combat

Post by Erfaron »

This isn’t a post asking the differences, more of which you all prefer to have in you kit. I’m debating between a few swords, and the main difference is one is battle ready and more expensive, and one is a sport combat / HEMA sword and is a little cheaper, but not much.

I want to be able to practice with my sword and I feel that the sport combat would be better for this, but I also enjoy the fantasy that I might be able to carve up an orc one day with my battle ready sword

What say my fellow rangers
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." -Gandalf, Chapter 7, The Hobbit
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Battle ready vs sport combat

Post by Manveruon »

I may be biased, since I do own two sharp, functional swords, but I think I would be inclined to recommend the trainer sword in this case - mostly because you’ll likely get more use out of it, and you’re less likely to get in trouble for carrying it out with your kit than you would with a sharp.
Also, something Matt Easton occasionally points out in his videos is that many high-quality training swords these days are actually closer to the originals they’re meant to represent than their “battle-ready” counterparts, because they’re specifically designed to handle like a real sword of the period would while sparring, so there’s that as well.
That being said, if you wanted to do cutting exercises and so forth, then obviously the sharp is a better option for that, and there are always inexpensive wasters if you want to do drills and some sparring, depending on the type of sparring.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

As stated above, the main question is: do you want to practice cutting/thrusting or do you intend to spar with it.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Manveruon wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:35 pm Also, something Matt Easton occasionally points out in his videos is that many high-quality training swords these days are actually closer to the originals they’re meant to represent than their “battle-ready” counterparts, because they’re specifically designed to handle like a real sword of the period would while sparring, so there’s that as well.
I'm not 100% on board with that, I've handled many and by the very nature of making a sword that is economical (will stand up to years of metal on metal training use) you alter the way it handles.

It's like a demolition derby car compared to an every day drive.
Erfaron wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:14 pm I want to be able to practice with my sword and I feel that the sport combat would be better for this, but I also enjoy the fantasy that I might be able to carve up an orc one day with my battle ready sword

What say my fellow rangers
I would recommend the trainer for a first sword for a few reasons.

- if you don't have much sword experience it will help you figure out what exactly you prefer. Complex hilt? Waisted grip? Length?

- A costume sword will get used as often as you wear your ranger kit. Depending on how lucky you are that may be weekly or only a handful of times a year. A trainer will get more available use.

- You can spar or use a pell with a stick but they're lousy for teaching edge alignment.

- Many rangers don't even carry a sword when roaming, Aragorn was only carrying the broken Narsil when he meets the hobbits at Bree. For my part its a spear and knife and occasionally a sword.

- A blunt sword in skilled hands is just as terrifying as a sharp one welded by a novice.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Do what I do. Get your sharp, love it and slice with it, but then make an exact copy of it as a wooden waster. Then, you could train with a copy of yoyr sharp. It'll also give you a good woodworking project and make your waster all the more personal. There are instructions online. Be sure to use a good hardwood like hickory or maple. And be sure to use boiled linseed oil or tung oil for the finish, but make sure your rag dries out completely to prevent fires.
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’