War knife of the Wægmundings

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

War knife of the Wægmundings

Post by Eofor »

A long term commission from our very own Weyland. Beorning master smith Gulli has just finished work on a relic, the Wyrmslēan.

I first contacted him years ago with the dream of creating a mythopoetic armament of Beowulf. For several reasons I decided on the seax that he uses to kill the Dragon in the final section of the elegy.

Once again the king gathered his strength and drew a stabbing knife he carried on his belt, sharpened for battle.
He stuck it deep into the dragon's flank.
Beowulf dealt it a deadly wound.

The design brief started simpler but grew over time until it took on a life of it's own. I found it consuming at times and I can only imagine what Gulli went through pouring his skill into it, knowing that any slip could mean a loss of not only time and effort, but in the case of the uniquely large reindeer antler handle - difficult to replace resources.
He was brilliant throughout the process, reigning in my spiraling ideas while calmly steering things in the direction they needed to go.

And so here it is, if we have any Beowulf fans who wish to know more, or guess at the composite parts or meaning behind them (it all has meaning) then I am happy to discuss or share work in progress photos.

I will just mention that it's big, much bigger than the ratio of handle to blade would suggest and that the complex pattern weld blade was made by the famed Dwarven smith Owen Bush.

Perhaps not strictly Middle Earth but I hope you forgive me for sharing.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: War knife of the Wægmundings

Post by Iodo »

WOW! You get so much awesome and beautiful stuff, I'm getting jealous :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

?!!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!

THAT WAS FOR YOU!?!?!??!

That is simply gorgeous!!!!! Gosh what a master he is.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:18 pmTHAT WAS FOR YOU!?!?!??!
I used to react this way when someone I knew wound up with something from Gulli or other high-level artisans. Nowadays...when something like this is posted, my first reaction is to wonder which one of my friends commissioned it! 50% of the time or more, I'm correct that it's someone within Middle-earth reenactment, because who else can come up with these incredible ideas but this group of people?!

Again, congrats, Eofor. None better to carry it than you. If it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested to hear a bit more about the individual pieces and their references.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

A true work of Art.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Wow!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Thank you everyone, there's a real wonder in watching something that only exists in your imagination come into existence.

Elleth wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:18 pmTHAT WAS FOR YOU!?!?!??!
It is! I'm definitely in Greg's 50% camp and there will be a few more items coming from Gulli and other masters in this theme and at least one lesser known Middle Earth artifact that has always captured my imagination.

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 pmIf it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested to hear a bit more about the individual pieces and their references.
It is no trouble at all but I may wait until it is in my hands to do the write up. Good news is that with the airways back open the package is already halfway here.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:07 am ...and at least one lesser known Middle Earth artifact that has always captured my imagination
I'll look forward to seeing it :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

Happy you like it my friends. It was a journey that I will remember fondly.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

I think perhaps the highest compliment I could pay is that I believe the Professor himself would be absolutely ecstatic over this knife with his love of Beowulf. I think it perfectly encapsulates both the real-world archaeological record and the mythic tone of the monster-slaying hero. It's a beautiful knife and both you and Gulli should be proud. Congratulations to both for the hard work. It really really paid off.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 pm Nowadays...when something like this is posted, my first reaction is to wonder which one of my friends commissioned it!
I'll spare you the wonder on his new spearhead as it's not mine although I did try to buy it!
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Eofor wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:49 am
Greg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:23 pm Nowadays...when something like this is posted, my first reaction is to wonder which one of my friends commissioned it!
I'll spare you the wonder on his new spearhead as it's not mine although I did try to buy it!

Spooky. You read my mind haha!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

.... I was wondering.
pity, really. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OH WOW WOW WOW THIS IS ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR!

I was going to mention a while back, as Greg and Elleth have, that I had seen Gulli post about this and was amazed when I discovered it was for you, Eofor - but yeah, I feel like Greg hit the nail on the head with that, haha. Anyway, just remembered to come back around and say how absolutely incredible it is in every way!

I can’t wait to see what the lesser known Middle-earth artifact is!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains